The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Treasure

"For where your treasure is,
there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:19 



"Okay, let me get this straight.  You want me to turn off your satellite TV service, but you are not dissatisfied with the product and you're not trying to save money, but you simply don't want it any more?  Are you sure I can't offer you a lower rate with less channels?"

This is how the conversation went with the customer service representative of our former satellite TV provider.  He would not let me go without giving us a 6 month temporary suspension so I could easily restate our service once we realized we couldn't live without TV. He just couldn't fathom how we would be able to survive!  Well, it's been over a year and I have yet to make that phone call.

Confessions of a TVaholic  I would have never called myself an addict, but once we got rid of the satellite dish, I realized that I had been hooked on TV.  It took up alot of my time and determined our family schedule each evening.  "Hurry up and finish dinner because our favorite show is on in 5 minutes."  I rationalized that we were spending time together as a family, but what kind of quality time is spent watching mostly mindless entertainment?  Or I'd think, I'll just watch the news while I'm getting ready.  Fine, until I got to the point where I couldn't stand being in a quiet room with only my thoughts and God!  TV has always been important to me, so when God challenged me to let it go, it took faith. . and time to get used to the idea!  Now that I've done without, I can clearly see that I prized that small screen.  If I want to know what I treasure, all I need to do is take note of how I spend my time, and my money.

Time  When Paul wrote to the believers in Colosse, he told them that his goal, ". . . is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."  True treasure comes from God in the form of wisdom and knowledge through faith in Jesus.  How do I show that I value my relationship with God?  Many times I would much rather be entertained than be challenged intellectually and spiritually with life-changing scripture study.  Spending time with God in His Word will unlock the mysteries of Him and His kingdom, but it takes time and effort.  I have never experienced such fulfillment than when I have taken the time to spend with my Father.  It sure beats an hour or two of mindless television programming!

Money  It's easy to fritter away my money, spending it on a pack of gum here, or a magazine there.  But are these things really needed, or could my money be better invested in God's Kingdom?  There are many Christian organizations whose missions are to provide needed items and the message of the Gospel to a suffering world.  If I say that I care about those who are suffering, but would rather spend my money on things that would increase my comfort, do I really care?  It is my challenge to spend my money in ways that show I love my neighbor as myself, not so that I can make myself look good, but so that I can glorify God through my finances.  When Jesus sent the twelve out to the lost sheep of Israel, He instructed them to tell the people that the Kingdom of Heaven has come near, to heal, raise the dead and cast out demons, but also that, "Freely you have received; freely give." (Matthew 10:8b)  I am called to be willing to let go of what God has generously given to me in order to benefit others.

Christmas  This is a challenge during the Christmas season.  So much of what I do and spend at this time of year is based on fulfilling the American image of Christmas.  What if I spent more time focusing on other's needs instead of my own?  Who is alone this Christmas and could use a little time with a family?  Do the people on my list really need another book/sweater/gadget, or could that money be better spent helping someone with real needs?

Don't Just Talk About It  "Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.  If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?  Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." (I John 3:16-18)  It is often said that actions speak louder than words.  Jesus gave his very life, thus revealing what He treasured: restoring my relationship with my Father.   Do I treasure this as much?

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will treasure my relationship with God.

On what do I place higher value than I place on my Father?

How do I cheapen my relationship with God in the way that I spend my time and money?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that makes me really think how I spend my money and time. It's difficult to give my time and money to other people but I just think of all the time and money I waste on things that I think are a big deal!

    ReplyDelete