The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Hope Springs Eternal

". . .hope does not disappoint us, 
because God has poured out his love into our hearts 
by the Holy Spirit, 
whom he has given us."
Romans 5:5



The heartache of a son in jail.  The hurt of a harsh tongue-lashing by a boss.  The pain of untold physical ailments.  The sleepless nights spent praying for a lost daughter.  These are but some of the ways we can suffer in this life.  But our suffering is not in vain, for this passage of Romans reveals the effect of our distress: suffering produces a hope that does not disappoint.  But in what do I hope?

I can hope for the best, hope for tomorrow, or vow to never lose hope, but these sentiments all fall flat in the light of the Truth.   Since hope is a feeling of expectation of what will happen in the future, and only God knows the future, it is futile to hope for hope's sake.  Hope must spring from faith in the Creator.  This life filled with suffering can cause anyone to grow weary, "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles;  they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:31) Eighteenth century English poet Alexander Pope coined the popular saying that, "Hope springs eternal," highlighting man's need to anticipate better days.  It is true that without hope, man will fall into despair, but on what is my hope based?

Jesus  Christmas is a time when I hear a lot of talk about hope.  We hope for peace on earth.  We hope that things will be better in the new year.  We hope to make it through the season with our sanity.  But hope without Jesus is in vain.  "He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world."  (I John 2:2) All the suffering in this world is as a result of sin, and my only hope for conquering the suffering caused by sin in this world is by trusting in Jesus as my Savior from the punishment of my sin, and from the hold that sin has on my life. Jesus is my only hope.

Love  Now that I have Jesus, I have love. God has poured out His love in my heart! With love in my heart, I have the ability to love others. And this love can change the world.   Paul advised the church in Rome  to not, ". . .just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good.  Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other." (Romans 12:9-10 NLT)  The love in my heart spills over so that I can love others, giving them tangible evidence on which to base their hope in God .

Holy Spirit  Before Jesus went back to heaven after his resurrection, I'm sure the disciples were nearly panicked with the thought of living their lives without the constant presence of their Savior.  At least that's how I would have felt if I were them. Knowing my need for help, Jesus left me with His Spirit to give me all I need in order to accomplish His calling on my life.  He told His disciples to, "not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.  For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit. . .But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you. (Acts 1:4-5, 8)  I am not alone in my walk, but I have the very power of God within me to guide me, strengthen me and equip me.  With the gift of God's indwelling Spirit, my hope is complete.

Hoping in God through faith in Jesus Christ cannot disappoint because of the overflowing love with which He fills me, and His Spirit which dwells within me.  I truly do have hope for tomorrow!

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will only hope in the Lord, placing all my trust in Him and His plan for my life.

How do I ignore the still small voice of the guiding Holy Spirit?

When do I withhold God's love from others? 


1 comment:

  1. That is powerful and so true! You see in all these movies that they say hope is what you need but then what is behind their hope!

    ReplyDelete