The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, December 19, 2011

One Blessing After Another

"From the fullness of His grace 
we have all received 
one blessing after another."
John 1:16


"Too blessed to be stressed."
"Count your blessings"
"Blessed and highly favored"
"Bless your little heart"

These are some of the ways I have heard the word blessing used.  Many times, I twist the meaning of the word "blessing," equating it to physical gifts such as my home, job, family, car or my abundance of "stuff".  It's true that I need to acknowledge God as the giver of all good things.  But do I also recognize the spiritual blessings that come with belonging to Jesus?

Promise  When Abraham was 75 years of age, God told him to leave his home in Haran, and "go to the land I will show you." (Genesis 12:1)  In other words, "start walking and I'll let you know when you get there."  But God did not leave it at that seemingly impossible request.  He also blessed Abraham with the promise that would eventually affect all of us.  God said He would make Abraham into a great nation, that he would be well known, and that, "all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." (v 3)  Jesus is the greatest blessing I have received. He restored my relationship with a Holy God, and He gave me the hope of heaven. . . all through His selfless decision to be born as a mere child, and grow up to become a man who would die on the cross, taking the punishment for my sins and the sins of all who trust in Him as their Savior.  This Christmas, I want to remember the blessing of Jesus.


Trials  I don't usually think of hard times as a blessing, but God considers them to be beneficial to me as a believer. "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." (Jame 1:12)  There are things I learn during times of difficulty that I would never learn when everything is going according to my plan.  Faith is trusting God's plan for my life, especially when I have no idea how that plan is going to play out.  Martyred missionary Jim Elliot* seemed to understand well the importance of trusting God no matter the outcome, "God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with him."  This Christmas, I will remember the blessing of trials.

Humility Ask anyone on the street about humility, and you will find a negative connotation associated with the word.  Either people will talk about humiliating situations that were an embarrassment to them, or they may mumble something about low self-esteem. Ask them if they desire to be humble, and most would likely say, "No."  But God looks highly upon those who have a modest or low view of their importance.  On His Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught that, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."  In God's kingdom, self-esteem is derived from God-esteem.  My worth comes from who I am in relation to God, not who I am in my own right.  All the good that is in me is from God.  When I acknowledge this truth, I am lowering myself to my rightful place, and honoring God with the respect He deserves.  If I want to build my view of myself, I need to first clarify my understanding of God and where I stand in relation to Him.  This Christmas, I will remember the blessing of humility.

The next time I start counting my blessings, I will begin with the spiritual ones, like the blessing of Jesus, the trials in my life and an attitude of humility.

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will see all the blessings God has given me, not just the ones I can see and touch.  

How do I try to avoid hard times, thus robbing myself of that blessing?

When do I think of myself more highly than I ought?

*Jim Elliot quote from:http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jim_elliot.html#ixzz1gz3aNPwX


1 comment:

  1. That is so true, I some times forget about what God says about blessings. It's like the song 'Blessings in disguise,' I can't remember who sings it at the moment but that is a powerful song!

    ReplyDelete