The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Love Rules

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love."
1 Corinthians 13:13



This world is not a perfect place.  It is filled with all kinds of pain, filth, danger, and ugliness; all the direct result of sin and human's inability to control it.  As believers living in this fallen and temporary dwelling, we may fall in love with the one whom we pledge to spend the rest of our earthly lives with and, Lord willing, bring a child into the muck of this imperfect world.  Our families are designed to be a haven against the harshness of this world.  This Christmas, as the world revels in its version of the holiday, let us bask in the glory of God's love, and let His love rule within our homes.

Protects  One of the characteristics of God's love is that it always protects.  Is my home a place where my family and our guests can retreat from the cruel world?  Or are there bits of the callousness seeping in through the TV, Internet and radio?  When Love came down from heaven in the form of a baby that first Christmas morn, He was born into the simpleness of a stable which sheltered Him from the humanity that He created and who had become so unloving due to sin.  It may have seemed to be a dirty place for the King to be born, but it fits into God's way of doing things.  As I celebrate the birth of my Savior this Christmas, may I strive to keep my home as a shelter against the world, and a safe little stable where the love of Jesus may abide in our hearts.

Above All Things  This side of eternity, we cannot know of God's kingdom completely and clearly.  Since Jesus came down and repaired my relationship with God, I can know a little bit about His love.  I have to fight to let it rule in my heart, for there are so many things for love to compete against:  Selfishness, anger, bitterness, jealousy, selfish ambition, envy.  But if I am serious about following Jesus and I move closer to Him, surrendering my will for His, then His love wins out over all those fleshly fruits. This holiday season, I could have the most beautiful tree on the block, deck my home out with dazzling lights and decorations, fill the air with the scent of delectable Christmas treats, but if I don't keep love above all things, my home is an empty shell.  May I strive to keep love above all other things this Christmas. 

My Only Hope  Every gift that is given this Christmas will eventually break, wear out or be outgrown.  If I put my hope in these things, I will be disappointed.  But as Isaiah 40:31 proclaims, "those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  This Christmas, I purpose to put my hope for peace, contentment, happiness and all good things in the Lord, not in all the trappings of this world.  Then I will not be frustrated, and my home will be a place of tranquility.

May the Christmas of 2011 be a time when love rules in my home, is above all things in my heart, and is the only hope of my life.

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will keep the love of God always before me. 

Where do I let things seep into my home which drown out God's love?

How can I do a better job of letting love rule, instead of allowing fear, frustration or anger to reign?


No comments:

Post a Comment