The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Believe

"For nothing is impossible with God.”
 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. 
“May it be to me as you have said.” 
Then the angel left her.
Luke 1:37-38



"Oh, Christmas isn't just a day, it's a frame of mind."
"Faith is believing when common sense tells you not to."
"He who has no Christmas in his heart will find no Christmas under the tree."
"People have to believe in something."
"I need to believe something extraordinary is possible."
"Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone."

If you've watched any Christmas movies lately, you might recognize some of these quotes, or the sentiments behind them.  I tend to get mushy at Christmas time and overflow with warm and fuzzy thoughts.  But do I really know what these thoughts mean, or do I just repeat them because they sound good?  

Christmas is a day set aside for me to remember the birth of our Savior; Jesus Christ.  Since He is the author and perfecter of my faith, is it possible to have faith without Him?  And, is it possible to have faith in general, or does it need to be directed toward something or someone?

The Source  Faith, as defined in Hebrews 11:1, "is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."  As outlined in the "hall of fame of faith" found in Hebrews 11, faith is vital to anyone serious about following Jesus.  In fact, verse 6 explains the importance of faith in our walk. ". . . without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."  I have no hope of pleasing God without having supreme confidence in Him and His ability to keep His promises and provide for my every need.  Even this certainty, however, is not from myself, but is a gift of grace from God himself.  "By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence." (I Peter 1:3)  If I want to have faith, I must get to know the One who is the source of faith. 

The Focus Faith is nothing in and of itself.  Or as Oswald Chambers so wisely phrased it: "Faith that is sure of itself is not faith; faith that is sure of God is the only faith there is."  It sounds good to say, "you just have to believe that everything will be okay," but it rings hollow in the face of the truth.  "Through Christ you have come to trust in God. And you have placed your faith and hope in God because he raised Christ from the dead and gave him great glory." (1 Peter 1:21 NLT)  God will never let me down; I can trust in Him completely.  I cannot just believe, but I must believe in God.  My faith must be directed toward God, or it is an empty shell.  If I want my faith to be true, I must direct it toward Him.

When the angel Gabriel visited Mary to inform her of God's plan, she believed the angel's words when he said that nothing is impossible with God, and she accepted His impossible plan for her life.  Her faith was from God and  in God.  As a result, we celebrate Christmas today!  May the faith God has given me make this Christmas a most precious one as I trust in Him as my Savior!

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will have faith in God and God alone.

Where do I believe what I hear without testing it against the truth found in scripture?

How can I live my life in a way that demonstrates the faith I have in Jesus? 



No comments:

Post a Comment