The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, December 12, 2011

God with Us

The virgin will be with child
and will give birth to a son,
and will call him Immanuel.
Isaiah 7:14



Immanuel literally means, "God with us."  Have you thought about the miracle of worshipping a God who is with us, and what that means to us this Christmas?

Accessible  There is only One True God, the Maker of heaven and earth, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  But there are many other belief systems out there, none of which can claim their god is with them!  Islam claims a god who is merciful and powerful, but he is far away and will never be accessible, even in the afterlife.  The Lord our God is different.  He came to earth in the form of a man in order that I, ". . .may approach God with freedom and confidence."  (Ephesians 3:12)  There is nothing that can separate me from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus!  My God is always available to me!

Understanding   Immanuel understands me better than I know myself!   I make homemade bread every week.  Because I added all the ingredients for each batch of bread, kneaded it for the required time, let it rise, formed the dough into loaves, baked them in the oven, and sliced each loaf before placing them into a bags, I can honestly say that I know that bread well.  I made it, so I know it intimately.  I am so much more complicated than a loaf of bread, yet God made me and He understands me in a way that no one else can!  The One who made me and knows me in this way also lived the life of a human for 33 years.  He can appreciate anything I experience because He lived it, too.  My God always understands me!

Caring  There is no problem so small that God would not care.  The other day, my oldest daughter came home with a kitten who had been soaked in motor oil.  I don't know how this happened, but the poor thing was shivering cold and pathetic as can be.  We cleaned her up and asked God to find her a home.  But does the God of the universe have time for a little kitten?  Yes, He does.  Two days later my husband and I were running an errand and mentioned the kitten to a dear woman we had just met.  She exclaimed, "I've been looking for a kitten!"  She named the sweet tabby, "Diesel," and picked her up the next day, filled with joy at the prospect of her new family member.  As the hymn goes, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me!"  I am reminded in I Peter 5:7 that I can, "Cast all (my) anxiety on him because he cares for (me)."  My God always cares for me!

As I run around this Christmas, doing all that I think is required of me, I am determined to keep this thought in mind:  Immanuel is accessible, understanding and caring.  God is with me!

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can live my life in a way that illustrates God's presence in my day-to-day existence.

Where am I relying on my own strength instead of leaning on the one who cares for me?

How do I fail to extend to others this same understanding that God shows me?

No comments:

Post a Comment