The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Peace on Earth

The Word became flesh 
and made his dwelling among us. 
We have seen his glory, 
the glory of the One and Only,
 who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14



We live in an age of relativity:  If it works for you and doesn't hurt anyone, do it.  Each person chooses their own path and own set of morals and beliefs.  There is no absolute, universal truth.  What's good for you may not be good for me.  In reality, there is such a thing as Truth, and He came to earth as a baby many years ago, heralding the coming of His Kingdom.  

At Christmas time, I hear a lot about peace.  Christmas cards proclaim "Peace on Earth," we wish each other peace, and it is a time when all of mankind (at least in the western world) is expected to come together in peace, even if its just for one day.  But Jesus is not a promoter of peace.  He did not come to bring peace into the world, at least in the way we think of it.  When the angels proclaimed the Messiah's birth those 2000+ years ago, they declared,  “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.” (Luke 2:14)   Does peace come to those who reject the  Babe in the manger who has now become the Savior of a lost world?  There is no fence sitting when it comes to Jesus.  Either you are for Him, or you are against Him.  So where is this peace on earth proclaimed by the angels?

In my heart and mind   There is no peace apart from God.  When I am following my own path, determining my way, and thus rejecting God's plan for my life, I will not have peace.  Peace comes when I turn all things over to God, trusting Him for all my needs, choosing not to worry about anything.  As a follower of Jesus, this kind of peace is readily available to me.  With all the last minute preparations that need to be made in the few days left before Christmas, I choose the peace of Christ to reign in my heart and mind.

With God  Is it possible to make friends with our enemies?  Terrorism has divided this world as never before, yet there are those who still believe that if we're nice to our enemies, they will work with us and become our friends.  Diplomacy is not a sound foreign policy, in and of itself, because our enemies hold different beliefs, values and understandings of this world.  It is the same with me and God.  I am His enemy, and no amount of sweet talking will get me into His good graces!  But I do have hope in Jesus. When I accept the gift of salvation that came through Christ, taking the punishment for my sins, then my relationship with God is repaired.  "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." (Romans 5:1) Now I am free to worship God and relate to Him on an intimate, one-on-one basis.  This Christmas, I choose to celebrate the peace I now have with God.

With Others  The idealized version of Christmas shows an extended family sitting around the tree opening presents, delighted to be in each other's presence.  Unfortunately, in reality, this is not always the case.  Much of the stress of holidays stems from the fact that we are thrown together with people we have a hard time getting along with, or maybe don't even like, and then we are expected to have a wonderful time.  This is impossible with me.  But with Jesus, it is actually possible to have peace within my relationships with others.  In His Sermon on the Mount, Jesus called peacemakers "blessed," and said that they would be called the sons of God.(Matthew 5:9)  Peace is a hallmark of those who follow Jesus, because it is His calling for me to live in peace with those around me.  But this can only happen if I set aside my hurts, desires and pride, and put the best interest of others before myself. Only then will peace rule in my relationships with others.  When I am surrounded by those I may struggle with this Christmas, I choose the peace of Christ to rule in my relationships.  

Where is this peace on earth that the angels proclaimed that first Christmas morn?  It is in my heart and mind, in my relationship with God, and in my relationships with those around me, thanks to the "little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay."  

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that peace will rule in my life, even when strife and chaos is swirling around me. 

How can I let go of things that bother me for the benefit of peace in my relationships with people?

Where do I take for granted the sacrifice Jesus made so I can have peace with God?


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Cindy! I'm really enjoying your devotionals. (I accidently chose the "surprising" reaction button - then rightly chose the "challenging" button). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, Kathy! I am glad God is challenging you with this devotional. It is good to know peace is possible, isn't it? I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete