The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Dependent and Interdependent

I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
   therefore I will wait for him.”
 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
   to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly
   for the salvation of the LORD.
Lamentations 3:24-26



I'm as American as they come.  My husband served 24 years in the US Army, and I was proud of his service to our country and gladly endured long deployments to hostile areas for the sake of freedom.  When I hear the National Anthem played, I always get choked up when I hear, ". . . our flag was still there, " thinking of the resilience, determination and thirst for freedom of my forerunners.  I love this country.

But growing up American, I have many times worshipped at the altar of independence.  I celebrate those who are able to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, who dig themselves out of homelessness or bankruptcy, or who climb out of the slums and rise to great success.  One of this countries most popular finance motivational speakers, Suze Orman, said, "A big part of financial freedom is having your heart and mind free from worry about the what-ifs of life."

The problem with this spirit of independence the American way has bred, is that I forsake my calling as a child of God to be fully dependent on Him to supply all my needs.  As a follower of Christ, it is dangerous to be American, for her values run counter to those of God's Kingdom.

Dependence on God 

When I think of my relationship with God, I like to imagine I am a rich young girl who is confident that her every need will be met by her wealthy daddy.  She does not wont for anything, and she never worries because she knows she need only mention it to her father, and he will gladly give her what she has asked for.  He shows his love for her in this way, and she is secure in that love.

Many times, though, I am like the typical American, and I think of a back up plan in case God doesn't come through.  I am not intentionally turning away from God, or thinking that He won't provide, but it is in my nature to analyze a situation and come up with solutions.  If God does not immediately provide, I assume I need to step in and act, using my resources to supply my own need.

Jesus taught about the generous nature of God.  “Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?  Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?  If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" (Matthew 7:9-11)

Because of His great love for me, He will not fail to give me the good things that I ask for.  The thing is, God is in control of the timing of the gift, and the nature of the gift.  If I don't want to wait and give God a chance to provide, I will never find out how to be dependent on my Father in heaven.


Interdependence of the Body of Christ

It is not in my nature as an American to depend on anyone else for anything.  I take pride in the fact that I can do for myself and many times don't want to put anyone out, bothering them with my problems.

But God wants us to rely on each other as believers.  Just as the whole of creation is interdependent with each other, so His body is designed to work together.  Take, for example, bees and flowers.  They need each other to survive!  The bees need the flowers as a source of food, and the flowers need the bees to facilitate pollination necessary for reproduction by carrying pollen to other flowers as they feed.  God designed all of nature to work together in such a way.

It's no surprise, then, as part of God's creation, that He expects us to rely on each other.  "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. . .there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.  If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it." (I Corinthians 12:12, 25-26)

When I take care of matters myself instead of relying on my brothers and sisters in Christ, I am denying their position and function in the Body, instead trying to fulfill the purpose of each part myself.  This is the most challenging thing for me as an American.  I have been raised to rely on myself and to not bother others with my problems.  But the Bible teaches that we are stronger together.

If I never give the other parts of the Body of Christ a chance to help me, I will never find out how to be interdependent along with my family.

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will learn to think of myself as a follower of Christ first, and an American second.
 
When do I rely on my own resources instead of turning to Him who owns the cattle on a thousand hills?
 
How can I better rely on my church family to help me in times of need?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment