The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Why am I Here?

"For even the Son of Man 
did not come to be served, 
but to serve, 
and to give his life 
as a ransom for many."
Matthew 10:45



Jesus did not have an identity problem.  He knew His purpose and the position He chose in this world and this knowledge shaped His life as a man.  When He entered His creation as the long awaited Messiah, many were expecting a King who would be exalted over all the nations and a Savior who would save them from their worldly troubles.  What they didn't expect was the reality of God's plan for the King of Kings and Savior of the world!

Servant  I learned how to serve my husband by watching my younger sister in her marriage.  When it's time to eat, she dishes him up first, no matter how hungry she is.  She thinks of little ways to serve him throughout the day by anticipating his needs while he's at work, or getting certain chores done that she knows are important to him.  She possesses the heart of a servant.     Jesus possessed this same spirit.  He chose to lower Himself to the position of a subordinate in order to please His Father.  He did not expect to be treated in a certain way, but instead humbled Himself for the sake of those He loves: His Father and His people.  In this season of giving that generates incredible stress and high expectations, how can I humble myself for the sake of my Father and those He has placed around me?

Donor  I have heard stories of people who have given vital organs, such as a kidney, to a complete stranger in order that they might live.  These kinds of stories always make the news because they are so rare, but there is always some kind of pay off for the donor.  It could be simply a feeling of goodwill that they receive as a result of this selfless gesture, or it could help them move beyond some feelings of guilt for past wrongs that they have committed.  Whatever the reason, humans are incapable of selfless sacrifice in and of their own strength.  Jesus, however, gave His life selflessly and He deserves to make the front page headlines each and every day.  He was only thinking of His love for His Father and His desire to obey Him, as well as His love for mankind who is powerless to repair his broken relationship with God the Father.  Jesus gave His life so that I might live, and live a full and meaningful life, not just an existence. "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed." (I Peter 2:24)  Christmas has become a time when I focus on meeting expectations and creating memories for my family and friends.  How is this honoring the sacrifice Jesus made for me?  I am redeemed by His blood and are free to live for Him.  In living for Jesus, all other pressures will fall away until He is all that remains.

This Christmas season I will remember the reality of Jesus.  The King of Kings became a servant, and the Savior of the world appeared as a life-giving donor.  This did not meet the expectations of the people, but it was just as God had planned and this plan can change the way I view my purpose as His child.

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can focus on God's plan for me and not on the expectations I have for myself, or that others may hold over me.

How do I minimize the sacrifice Jesus made for me, especially as I celebrate Christmas?

Where am I exalting myself above those around me in the attitude I carry?  

No comments:

Post a Comment