The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Heed

"John's disciples told him about all these things.
  Calling two of them, he sent them to the Lord to ask,
'Are you the one who was to come,
or should we expect someone else?'
When the men came to Jesus, they said,
'John the Baptist sent us to you to ask, 
Are you the one who was to come,
or should we expect someone else?'

At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases,
sicknesses and evil spirits, 
and gave sight to many who were blind.
So he replied to the messengers,
'Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard:
The blind receive sight, the lame walk
those who have leprosy are cured,
the deaf hear, the dead are raised,
and the good news is preached to the poor.
Blessed is the man who does not fall away
 on account of me.'
Luke 7:18-23



I have always loved to read mystery novels, especially the kind where the hero or heroine of the story finds the clue that reveals the secret that lies in the center of all the intrigue.  Usually, she must pay close attention to details, analyzing previous conversations, encounters and episodes until it all becomes clear.  The heroine shows her skill at seeing the hidden truth that lies beneath the surface.

In some ways, following Jesus is like solving a set of mysteries.  Instead of following my own instinct and relying on my wit, though, I trust in God's Spirit to reveal the hidden truth.  For instance, Jesus taught in parables so that only those who belonged to Him and paid attention would catch the message.  (Luke 8:10)  

In this passage, Jesus answered John's doubts in a way that only someone who was paying attention would recognize: by quoting Messianic prophecies found in Isaiah 35:5-6.  Jesus was telling John that He fulfilled that foretelling without coming right out and saying it plainly.  If John didn't know the scriptures or pay careful attention to His words, he would have missed the meaning.  

It's no different today.  God is working all around me, sending messages through people, scripture, or even through His creation.  To recognize the hand of Jesus in my life, however, I must heed.

Hurts Healed

Modern people think we have it all figured out.  When I'm sick, I make an appointment with the doctor.  If I have a problem with my teeth, I go to the dentist.  If there's difficulty in my marriage, I go the the counselor.  Do the children have behavioral issues?  I'll take them to see a therapist!.

I like to try to manage everything and feel like I have some semblance of control.  The truth is, though, "the earth is the Lord's and everything in it." (Psalm 24:1)  If I seek healing, I must go first to the One who created me and knows me intimately (Psalm 139) and He will show me what to do to get on the path of wellness.

I've heard it said that the hospital is full of people who are trying to live their lives their way.  One of the detrimental habits we get into is unforgiveness.  I know in my family alone, grudges have been held for years against brothers and sisters until each one forgets why they were mad in the first place.  Still, the bitterness is held in the heart.  Unwillingness to let go of the hurts perpetrated against me causes a myriad of maladies that no doctor can cure.

Patti Davis, daughter of Ronald Reagan, wrote in her book Angels Don't Die about the time after the 1981 attempt on her dad's life.  "The following day my father said he knew his physical healing was directly dependent on his ability to forgive John Hinckley.  By showing me that forgiveness is the key to everything, including physical health and healing, he gave me an example of Christlike thinking."

If I'm paying close attention to what Jesus is telling me, I will see that healing comes through forgiveness.

Sight Restored

This is the age of education.  Higher learning is seen as the key to success and the door to a whole new world of knowledge and insight.  Although there are many positive aspects to school, it will not give me wisdom to live God's way.

When Jesus encountered the man blind from birth, he put some mud on his eyes and had him go wash in the pool of Siloam where his sight was restored. (John 9)  The church leaders labeled Jesus as a sinner who could not be used by a holy God since He performed this miracle on the Sabbath.  Later, Jesus talked to them about spiritual blindness, and how He could also heal that malady through the simple faith of the victim.  Unfortunately, the leaders didn't want to hear this humbling message and rejected Him completely.

Similarly, Jesus is teaching me a truth that I fail to see because it goes against my expectations or understanding of how God works.  I think I already know, so I don't pay attention.  I'm blind.
Jesus heals my blindness when I let go of my self-centered, prideful attitude.   It takes a humble spirit to see past my own knowledge or beliefs and clearly see the reality of His kingdom ways.

When I'm blind I think everyone should listen to the same Christian music, but when He heals me I learn that He is able to use all music for His purposes in a variety of ways.

When I can't see the truth I'm stuck in a rut thinking a good Christian goes to church every Sunday.  Then He opens my eyes and I realize that some churches are worse than no church at all and that He can bring the church to me.

When I think I know but I don't have a clue, I'm easily irritated and drawn into an argument.  As soon as I turn to Him for 20/20 vision, however, I see how wrong I was and how He is the source of all wisdom.

If I'm paying close attention to what Jesus is telling me, I'll see that I'm blinded to the truth by my pride and self-righteousness.  

Good News Preached

No one wants to be poor.  It's human nature to desire riches, or at least comfort.  But Jesus came to the poor:  Not to the financially poor, but to the spiritually poor.   It's easy to get full of myself and rich in the cares of my life.  When I'm self-conscious, I'm no longer God-conscious.  How, then, can I hear the Good News?

Just because I've accepted Jesus as my Savior does not mean I no longer need the Good News.  It is necessary for me to hear it over and over again.   I need to be reminded that I'm saved by grace so that I won't try to earn my salvation thus nullifying the sacrifice of Christ. (Ephesians 2:8)   It is good for me to hear that I'm loved because of God's character and identity as a loving God, not because I'm good enough to earn His love.  (Romans 5:8)  I must constantly be told again and again that the blood of Jesus covered all my sins and that I am no longer condemned.  (Romans 8:1)

If, however, I'm holding onto my own misconceptions or faulty beliefs, I'll fail to hear these vital messages.  Jesus is constantly at work in my heart, but I'll be unable to receive what He has to give me if I can't even hear the Good News He's preaching.  How can I empty myself of everything that distracts me, all thoughts that are about me, all doubt and fear, and grasp onto the Good News?

If I'm paying attention to what Jesus is telling me, I'll empty myself to the point where I can hear His constant reassurance and receive all He has to give.


God is working all around me in ways I will never see if I don't pay attention.  When I heed I see that forgiveness delivers healing, humility leads to renewed spiritual vision, and that I must be poor in spirit in order to receive the Gospel as He preaches it to me on a daily basis.  As I diligently watch for Him, I will be led to the rock that is higher than I where I will find refuge.  (Psalm 61:2-3)


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can pay attention to the small and large messages God is delivering to me.

How do I fail to see the truth because I am intent on seeing things my way?

When do I need to hear the Good News but can't because I'm too busy feeding myself lies and half-truths that sound good to my ears?

No comments:

Post a Comment