The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Words of Jesus

"When he had finished speaking,
he said to Simon,
'Put out into deep water,
and let down the nets for a catch.'
Simon answered, 'Master, we've worked hard all night
and haven't caught anything.
But because you say so, I will let down the nets.'
When they had done so,
they caught such a large number of fish
that their nets began to break."
Luke 5:4-6



"Go sit with the nerd who eats lunch alone every day."
"Go deep into the jungle and meet the viscous headhunters."
"Forgive the one who kidnapped your daughter from the safety of your own home."
"Quit your job and begin a full-time ministry."
"Sell your house and move into a smaller one in a drug- and gang-infested area."
"Move to a third-world country and start an orphanage."

These are all directives God has given to His people at one time or another.  None of them make sense to my own intelligence and common sense.  Each one of them goes against what I know to be the smart, self-preserving decisions on which I like to base my life.  Every one contains some kind of risk, whether it be physical, social or emotional.  None of them are things I would decide to do on my own.

Jesus has a way of breaking the mold of what's acceptable, normal or safe.  He is only concerned about one thing: doing the will of His Father.  (John 4:34, John 9:4) Since God's ways are opposite of the way I would naturally do things, (Isaiah 55:9) it takes effort to do things His way.  I must constantly allow Him to transform my mind into His way of thinking and doing.  (Romans 12:2)

When Jesus puts a radical idea on my heart, I can either act on it, or push it aside as impractical, reckless and radical.  My obedience is dependent upon what I've been doing up until that point.  Either I've been living for me or I've been undergoing training that prepares myself for His calling.

Stay Connected

We used to have this laptop that had a damaged power cord and a weak battery.  If we moved the computer even slightly, the connection between the source of electricity and the laptop would be broken resulting in the shutdown of the machine and loss of any work in progress.  Using this computer was risky and frustrating to say the least.

It's not so different with me.  When I'm connected to my Source of power, His love flows through me and I can do anything He asks me to do. (Philippians 4:13) But when sin, fear, doubt or pride get in the way and I begin relying on my own weak power, I no longer am able to accomplish anything that has kingdom merit.  (John 15:5-8 )

The world, however, tells me that I have the power I need to do whatever it is I want to do.  In reality, I'm helpless to achieve real change;  I need Jesus to transform me into who He created me to be.  (2 Corinthians 5:17)

How do I stay connected to the unlimited power of God?  Oswald Chambers likened the indwelling Spirit of God to a river.  He said, "The river of the Spirit of God overcomes all obstacles.  Never get your eyes on the obstacle or on the difficulty.  The obstacle is a matter of indifference to the river which will flow steadily through you if you remember to keep right at the Source.  Never allow anything to come between yourself and Jesus Christ, no emotion, or experience; nothing must keep you from the one great sovereign Source."

The key is to keep my focus so fully on Jesus that there is no room in my line of sight for doubt.  Whatever trouble or fear that pops up, I can then honestly say it is nothing compared to the overwhelming force of God that flows within me.  To do this I must moment by moment cultivate a strong relationship with Jesus.  Spending time with Him in the study of His Word, turning all my fears and doubts over to Him, and showing my trust in Him by doing what He says are all good steps to take toward building a close connection to my Source.

When I'm firmly connected the the Source, I'll have the power I need to answer His calling.

Seek First 

A friend of mine owned an enormous German Shepherd whose only passion in life was to chase his ball.  The moment I walked in the door, he'd pick up the ball and would never take his focus from that toy.  Nothing could distract him; not food, cats, affection, nothing!  He was all about his ball.

In a way, this is how God wants me to live my life, but instead of fixating on a hobby, toy or career, He is to be at the center of my attention. (Matthew 6:33)  In this way, instead of following man's way and going after what I want and need, I am showing God that I trust Him enough to let Him provide for me as I live my life for Him.

In my old way of thinking, I set a goal and then worked hard to achieve it.  In my new mind, I let God choose the goal and follow Him as He leads me to accomplishing it through His power.

The world tells me to live my life in pursuit of happiness and fulfillment.  God tells me to live my life for Him and I will find fulfillment as I please Him in being true to who He made me to be.

It's easy for me to worry about how I'll know the way God wants me to live my life.  Instead, I can wholeheartedly commit my day to Him and see how He guides me in what to do and supplies the words for me to say.

When I put all my effort into going after my relationship with Him above all other things, I'll never go without what I need.

Heavenly Minded

There is a saying that says, "Don't be so heavenly minded that you are no earthly good."  While this thought may appeal to my self-centered, independent mindset, it is contrary to God's Word.  The idea behind the saying is that God's ways have no bearing on the problems we are encountering on a daily basis here on earth.  

As the Creator of all things, I think God knows a bit about how the world works.  If I want to have an impact here on earth, I must keep my eyes on Jesus who is the author and perfecter of my faith. (Hebrews 12:2) If I set my heart and mind on things above, He will give me power over my earthly nature.  (Colossians 3:1-2)  Then I will be able to live my life in a way that pleases Him.

If, however, I set my mind on gaining knowledge, the trappings of success and popularity, then I risk becoming a fool in the eyes of God.  (1 Corinthians 3:18-19)  He is not impressed with my worldly pursuits and mindset.  I could earn a doctorate in rocket science and land on the cover of Time magazine but it wouldn't draw the eye of God.   What does delight the Lord is a heart fully devoted to Him and a mind continually set on Him.

Where is my mind this day?  Am I thinking about my schedule, my five-year plan or the obstacles that always hold me back?  Or am I focused on God's Word, the Truth that He knows the plan He has for my life, and His sovereignty which overwhelms all barriers?

When my mind is focused on heavenly things, my being is filled with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; all things that definitely do not come naturally to me.


The words of Jesus sound crazy to me as His follower.  The only way I'll be able to do what He asks is if I stay connected to the Source, seek His kingdom above all other things, and to keep my mind on heavenly things.  In this way I'll please Him and receive an abundant blessing that I'd otherwise never experience.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can focus on what Jesus is saying to me without regard to my circumstances or what my eyes may see.

How do I let my own earthly mind keep me from doing what Jesus asks because it doesn't make sense to me?

When do I go after my needs instead of letting Him provide?  


No comments:

Post a Comment