The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Delight of the Lord

"His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse,
nor his delight in the legs of a man;
the LORD delights in those who fear him,
who put their hope in his unfailing love."
Psalm 147:10-11



"The Lord helps those who help themselves."
"I'd rather die my way than live yours."
"Freedom (n); to ask nothing. To expect nothing.  To depend on nothing."
"Pull yourself up by your bootstraps."

These are common, independent thoughts considered as gospel by modern man.  Americans especially carry that autonomous, self-sufficient mind-set; the more sovereign one is, the more admirable one is thought to be.

It is impossible, however, to carry this same set of beliefs over into God's kingdom.  As Oswald Chambers said, "Whenever God touches sin it is independence that is touched, and that awakens resentment in the human heart.  Independence must be blasted clean out, there must be no such thing left, only freedom, which is very different.  Freedom is the ability not to insist on my rights, but to see that God gets his."  

God is not pleased with my independence.  Instead, He delights in things that seem negative to my natural mind.

Weakness

Lines of soldiers marched steadily on as far as the eyes of the messengers could see from their vantage point hidden among a clump of trees.  The multitude of troops sent up clouds of dust as they marched toward Jerusalem, putting fear in the hearts of those who watched.  "We've got to get back and tell King Jehoshaphat.  We're dead meat!"

The people of Judah were in trouble.  Thousands of Moabites, Ammonites along with some Meunites were determined to make war on them.  Wisely, the people of Judah turned to the LORD for help, depending upon Him to guide them.  Through one of the Levites, the Lord reassured them saying, "Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army.  For the battle is not yours, but God's."  (2 Chronicles 20:15)  He went on to say that they wouldn't have to fight this battle but simply stand firm and watch the deliverance of God's Hand.

As the children of God bowed low in thanks, then lifted their voices high in praise, God took matters into his own hands, setting up an ambush.  As the Israelites marched in faith toward their enemies, singing songs of praise, their adversaries were turning on each other, annihilating one another's armies until none was left.  All that remained for the Israelites to do was gather the plunder.  God had indeed fought the battle for them.

In the same way, I need not fight my own battles.  God, in His power and sovereignty, has many more resources at His disposal to solve any problem I might come up against.  If I'm overwhelmed with life, wondering how I can accomplish all that is looming ahead of me for the week, I can lay it all before my Father and depend on Him to lead me through it.  

When I'm facing overwhelming odds as I fight against the disease that ravages my own body, I can throw myself before the One who "knit me together in my mother's womb" and is the Master Healer who is willing to heal me according to His will, if I'd only ask.  (Psalm 139:13-15  Luke 5:12-13  Matthew 7:7-11)

Perhaps I am plagued with a particular ailment, affliction or burden that holds me back from fully serving God.  If I accept my life as God has given it to me, I can learn that God's, "grace is sufficient for (me), for (His) power is made perfect in weakness."  (2 Corinthians 12:9)  It is only when I get out of the way that God's power can flow through my life, amazing everyone who sees.

God delights when I acknowledge my weakened, human state and depend on Him for my strength.

Fear

When I was an elementary student, I feared all my teachers but especially the principle.  I knew if I got in trouble in the classroom, I'd have to answer to him.  Even though I was a pretty shy and compliant girl, I held a certain respect for his position of authority.

In the same way, I am to honor God as sovereign over all creation and able to have mercy on me, or not.  (Romans 9:15)   When I acknowledge that He is in control and that the world is His to do with as He pleases; my perspective changes.

No longer do I find myself trying to get ahead and impress the boss so I can get a raise.  Instead, I do my best for the Lord and let Him take care of the blessings.

Gone are the days when I kept a tight reign on every segment of my life, determining to live a good and successful life to the best of my ability.  In it's place I have surrendered all my aspirations to God and let Him lead me where He wants me to go.

I'm done with working hard to prove my worthiness but instead accept the grace He freely gives me to live as a broken, sinner redeemed for His purposes.

When I stop thinking only of how my character is being built, how I'm gaining strength or how many accolades I am racking up, then I'll be able to say as the psalmist said,  "I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, O Sovereign LORD; I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone."  (Psalm 71:16)

God delights when I honor Him and Him alone as the One worthy of all my attention and praise.

Hope

Frank Sinatra sang a song about hope that I remember learning in 5th grade.  "Next time your found, with your chin on the ground, there's a lot to be learned, so look around.  Just what makes that little old ant, think he'll move that rubber tree plant.  Anyone knows an ant, can't, move a rubber tree plant.  But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes.  He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes."  The idea being that when you're feeling down, remembering that ant will help you to soon be feeling better again.

As catchy as that song is, it seems silly to hope in hope.  If I'm going to anticipate a certain outcome, don't I need to place that expectation in a higher power?  I don't have the power within me to pull myself out of the doldrums, to transform my heart from fearful to peaceful, or to face my greatest nightmare.  As nice as the idea seems to simply have high hopes, there must be something more.

Thankfully, there is.  The prophet Isaiah said, "Do you not know?  Have you not heard?  The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He will not grow tired or weary." (Isaiah 40:28)  That little ant is able to move objects so much larger than him not because of his own attitude or optimism.  He is able because God created him that way.  He's only behaving as God made him to act.  

I, however, am created in God's image to be in relationship with Him, but I have also been given a choice.  Unlike the ant, I am formed to live in harmony with Him if I so choose, depending upon Him to give me the will to go on.  As an image bearer, my life is tied up intimately with God's.  As the prophet continued, "those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (v 31)

When I decide to live in relationship with God through faith in Jesus, choosing life each day, I will not simply hope in the goodness of mankind or that somehow everything will work out.  Instead, I'll put my trust in His unfailing love, knowing that God will always take care of me.

God delights when I turn my back on everything from which I could find optimism and instead place my hope in Him.


The world places much emphasis on being strong, capable and possessing a positive attitude, but these things don't impress God.  Instead, He loves it when I'm weak so I can depend upon His strength, when I acknowledge His sovereignty over all things, and when I place my hope in Him as the giver of all good things.  This is from where God draws His delight.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stop trying to be an independent woman and instead live as a dependent daughter.

When do I try to do for myself instead of giving it all to God?

How do I fail to wait on Him, impatiently taking matters into my own hands?

No comments:

Post a Comment