The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Just a Hometown Boy

"'I tell you the truth,'
he continued,
'no prophet is accepted in his hometown.'"
Luke 4:24


The headlines screamed out from the page lying on the counter of the little cafe: "Hometown Boy Makes it Big."  The small town gossip soon followed. . .

"What do ya' think about ole' Joe's boy?"
"I heard he wrote a book that made the NY Times bestseller's list."
"He's got millions of viewers on his television program."
"Ya, he's pretty popular."
"Remember his family?  Joe was a contractor, never really made it big.  Always had little jobs here and there, but nothing significant.  Never even had enough business to move out of the shop he had set up in his garage."
"Then there was his wife, Mary Jo.  She just kept having kids and always kind of kept to herself. In fact the whole family seemed like they thought they were better than everyone else."
"Ya. . . just kind of weird to see their oldest become such a star."
"Well, like they always say, 'there's no accounting for taste.'"

It's hard to believe when someone we grew up with becomes successful and well known in their field.  Somehow, I always think of them as that little kid who used to trip over his shoelaces, or the girl who had a crush on a different boy every week from the time she was in 3rd grade.  If I try to pay attention to the message their delivering, I get distracted by their past.

God uses broken, sinful people to accomplish amazing things in His Kingdom.  (1 Corinthians 1:26-31)  He does this so He will get all the glory.  Sometimes, though, when God uses a close friend or relative to deliver a message, I may miss it because I'm distracted by the messenger.  How can so-and-so know anything about marriage when she's divorce, I may think, or, what could he tell me about living as a peacemaker when he was the biggest bully in school

God can use anyone to speak truth into my life.  Humility allows me to look past the flesh and see and hear the Spirit within.

Full Disclosure

In the field of security, "full disclosure" is a term used to describe the idea that revealing weaknesses and problems with security systems will bring about solutions from industry professionals who want to protect their product's image and reputation.  Giving away the vulnerabilities forces the industry to come up with a better product, whether it be in the areas of computer security, alarm systems or safes and locks.  The idea is that transparency drives improvement. 

Unfortunately, this same concept does not translate well to other areas of life.  The more people know about me, the less they'll see that's admirable and the more they'll see that's fodder for gossip and slander.

Thankfully, God knows me intimately, and still loves me and chose me to belong to Him.  (Psalm 139, John 15:16) He knows all my weaknesses, all my sin, all my foolishness but wants to use me anyway!  Because of His great love and mercy, I can trust His choice of servants.

When I hear a child who is known for her spastic, disruptive behavior say, "Just trust God, Mrs. Boose."  I can either discard it as a ranting of a mere child, or I can take it before the Lord and seek His will.

If a relative who can never seem to get his life together begins a ministry that offers hope to the hopeless, I can dismiss it as foolishness or ask God's blessing upon him.

When a notorious gigolo becomes a man of God and is used by Him to strengthen marriages, I can laugh in his face or I can humbly accept God's sovereign work.

Knowing a person's faults can sometimes get in the way of how God is using that person but humility means looking past the flaws and seeing the Truth.

History

One of the hardest parts of the election season is all the dirt that comes out about each candidate.  It seems to be the objective of political campaigns to elevate themselves by dragging down their opponent so the voters are left with choosing the lesser of two evils.

Every human being has a history.  Some possess a more colorful past than others, but at the foot of the cross, the ground is level.  Sin is sin in the eyes of God. (John 5:17)  As a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, my sin is made as white as snow.  In the eyes of God, I appear as if I were without sin. (Romans 3:22)

For this reason, God is able to use me.  He made me to be a vessel of His good works.  (Ephesians 2:10 , 2 Corinthians 4:7)  This truth goes for all whom God chose.  It then makes sense for me to look past another's record and instead keep my focus on what God is currently doing in their life.

God uses people for His purposes and glory.  He chooses those according to His plan, not because of their own worth, ability or qualifications.  He uses tricksters, murderers, prostitutes, and liars.  (Romans 9:10-13Genesis 25:29-33Exodus 2:11-14 ,Joshua 2 , Hebrews 11:31, Genesis 20

My history or the past of anyone else does not nullify the Word of God.  Letting go of yesterday means I can trust God with tomorrow and place my confidence in who He chooses to use.

Knowledge of history, my own or that of someone else, bears no importance to the sovereignty of God's plan but can instead be used as an impetus to grow my faith.


God Alone

I remember being at an event at a park where I couldn't see a thing that was happening on stage because of the large crowd that had gathered to watch the performance.  I could hear the music and message, but couldn't see the performers.

In God's kingdom, I am not a performer or entertainer, but a servant used by God.  (Matthew 20:26-28)  Many times, though, my own flesh will get in the way with what God is doing.  Either my fear will stop me from obeying, my past failures will give me reason not to step out in faith, or I listen to the voices around me who are speaking against what God has told me.  

Whatever the source of the obstacle, I must remember the truth that God alone can produce kingdom fruit in my life.  (Galatians 5:22-23)  Apart from Him, I can do nothing.  (John 15)  Everything good I see in my life and in the lives of those around me comes from the Father of lights.  (James 1:17)

As I go through my day, I can choose to focus on the weaknesses I see in my flesh and the humanness of those around me, or I can look for evidence of God's work.  If I look, I will find it!  

Knowing that God is the only one who can do good things gives me the ability to look past the faults and history of myself and others and focus on all the good that He is doing.



Jesus was not accepted as the Son of God in His hometown, Elijah was not sent to a widow he knew and Elisha didn't heal his friends and neighbors.  Many times our faults and history can get in the way of what God is doing.  In order to keep from being an obstacle to God's sovereign plan, I must guard against letting human weaknesses impede my vision of the Almighty.  I just might be surprised where I see God working!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to know that He can use anybody.

How do I doubt God's plan when I catch sight of His servant?

When do I put a halt to God's work in my own life because I can't get past my fears?


No comments:

Post a Comment