The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Promised Land

"When Moses finished reciting all these words to all Israel,
he said to them,
'Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared
to you this day,
so that you may command your children to obey carefully,
all the words of this law.
They are not just idle words for you--
they are your life.
By them you will live long in the land
you are crossing the Jordan to possess.'"
Deuteronomy 32:45-47



It had been 40 long years of wandering in the wilderness.  Soon, the entire generation who first received the promise of a land of their own would pass away; all but two who were faithful and never doubted God's ability to deliver on His word.

There was no uncertainty that the entire nation of people were God's own; chosen by His hand, but their adulterous way-of-thinking set them on a path that kept them in the desert, away from the Promised Land.

It's not so different with me.  There is no doubt that I belong to God, chosen by His own hand to be saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, but my adulterous way-of-thinking has set me on a path that keeps me out of the way of life. (Romans 8:28-30, John 6:44)

I am drawn toward pleasing my self and following my own desires and the ways of this world.  I am easily led down the path of worldly success, reassuring comfort and a steady diet of entertainment that looks so promising but leads to death   If I would only choose life, otherwise known as God's way, then I would truly live in the Promised Land. (Deuteronomy 30:19-20)

Abundant Life

She was an outcast, forced to go to the communal well to draw water in the heat of the day when the gossiping women would be resting in the cool of their homes.  Her life was not what she had expected it would be when she was a young girl dreaming of the future.  In those days she was sure of her worth and knew that a man waited for her, desiring nothing more than to spend his time making her happy.  Children's laughter was always a big part of those dreams and friends would often cross the threshold of her imaginary home.  And fantasy it did turn out to be, for reality was harsh and cruel.

Husband after husband had treated her cruelly until she gave up all feelings of self-worth, devoting herself instead to the oldest and most reliable vocation women through the ages turned to in order to try to support themselves.  She didn't care anymore.  What did it matter how she was treated?  Her life was a shambles; there was no way to improve her situation.  It was just her lot in life.

Then she met a Savior who offered her living water that would lead to an abundant life.  This was something she wanted more than anything: not just existing, but flourishing!  She accepted the gift Jesus offered and her life was never the same.  (John 4, John 10:10)

As a follower of Jesus, I too have been offered a full and meaningful life overflowing with joy and peace.  This, however, is not the life I always experience.  Many times its more of an existence filled with regrets, discouragement and sadness.  Either that or I'm trying desperately to keep my head above water, struggling to keep from drowning in commitments, activities and obligations.  Other times it doesn't seem to make sense, as if there were no rhyme or reason for all the heartache I go through.  Whichever way my life seems to be going right now, I would usually not describe it as being rich and abundant.

Choosing life means reminding myself of the Gospel on a daily basis, remembering that, "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1)  I am free from the burden that comes with carrying my sins and I no longer need to fear God's wrath.  The blood of Jesus releases me from guilt.  

Walking the path toward the Promised land means following Jesus step by step, making my relationship with Him the most important thing in my life.  I no longer need to prove myself as His disciple.  Instead, I am free to live my life in direct obedience to Him, answering only to Him and not all the dissenting voices that tell me another story.

Picking His way means I must constantly remember that God has a plan for my life.  Everything that happens is a part of that plan, not some kind of punishment or even payback for past sins.  I am free from senseless suffering and have entered into the realm of significance.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I am offered the abundant life found in the Promised Land if only I would choose it.

Profound Peace

Beauty pageant contestants are usually asked what they want most in life and some famously say they want, "World Peace."  No one likes war or conflict; we would all love to live in a place where true peace existed.  Unfortunately, with the state of the human heart as it is, there is just not a chance.  Sin rules every persons' flesh.  We are innately selfish, each wanting our own way.  How can we hope to get along when no one naturally has compassion or empathy?

There is another kind of peace that is impossible to obtain in and of ourselves.  This is the harmony with God that can only be found through faith in Jesus Christ.  My sin makes a relationship with a holy God impossible.  Not only that, but I am actually considered to be His enemy because of my rebellious nature.  (Romans 5:10)  To have any hope of reconciliation with God, I need a Savior. Thankfully, Jesus is the perfect lamb of God who gave His life as a ransom for mine.  He took the punishment meant for me, thus making a way for me to have peace with God.

In order for me to live in this promised peaceful state, though, I need to turn over all that causes turmoil in my heart.  Instead, I like to mull over all the possible scenarios for every potential situation, coming up with several promising solutions that could be put into action if need be. (Philippians 4:4-7)

If I'm going to experience this land of peace, I need to live authentically in relationship with God.  Many times I try to put up a front that everything is okay and that I'm not struggling with a thing.  Soon I find myself curled up in a ball on the ground as the facade crumbles all around me.  I can't fake peace: it only comes with trusting Him enough to share my true feelings, hurts and pain.

A peaceful state will come as I stop trying to impress God and others and start living in relationship with Him.  Just as a parent doesn't want their children to jump through hoops to try to earn their love, so God wants me to just accept His love freely.  I am loved because God is love, and this is why I can have peace with Him.  (Matthew 11:28-30)

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I am offered the peace that passes understanding if only I would choose it.

Astounding Joy

One of my husband's favorite songs early on in our marriage was the old Bob Marley song, "Don't Worry Be Happy" performed by Bobby McFerrin.  Although it has a catchy tune and feel-good lyrics, the message doesn't ring true.  I can't be happy just by trying to not worry.

Joy is one of the fruits of the Spirit that comes with trusting Him as the Lord of my life.  It doesn't mean I have to walk around with a smile on my face at all times, but it does mean it is possible to carry a carefree attitude as I go through my days.

Joy is not dependent upon my circumstances.  The prophet Habakkuk seemed to understand this as he recorded a prayer regarding hard times.  He said even if all his crops failed, he had no source of income or anything to eat, still he would rejoice in the Lord and be joyful in God his Savior!  (Habakkuk 3:17-19)

Joy is not happiness, but a sense of delight in Who God is and in who I am in Christ.  I am free from the burden of sin.  No matter how bad things look, I am set free from the punishment my sins deserve.  I don't have eternal damnation hanging over me as I live my life but instead have the hope of heaven to spur me on.

God is a good God who will never let me down.  Because of this truth, I can always say, no matter my circumstance, that the joy of the Lord is my strength.  (Nehemiah 8:10)  As I trust in Him, His joy becomes mine.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I am offered bountiful joy if only I would choose it.


The Promised land has been offered to me.  Many times, however, I choose to stay on the wilderness-side of the Jordan River instead of crossing over to the abundant life, peaceful existence and astounding joy that has been guaranteed to me as His child.  If I begin this day to choose life, the promise will be mine now and forevermore!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can live the life God has created me to live.

When do I live a dismal life because I'm weighed down by my own sin?

How am I afraid to give control of my life to Jesus so that peace and joy can be mine?  

No comments:

Post a Comment