The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, September 14, 2012

Dining With the Down and Out

"After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector
by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth.
'Follow me,' Jesus said to him,
and Levi got up, left everything and followed him.
Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house,
and a large crowd of tax collectors
 and others were eating with them.
But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law
who belonged to their sect complained to his disciples,
'Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?'
Jesus answered them,
'It is not the healthy who need a doctor,
but the sick.
I have not come to call the righteous,
but sinners to repentance.'"
Luke 5:27-32



His life was changed by the power of the blood of Jesus.  No longer did he crave the things of his old life.  Gone were the old strongholds, replaced now by a conviction and desire to please God.  Instead of turning to his old habits to help him get through the hard times, he leans on the strength of God.  As he experiences all the changes going on inside of him, his friends begin to notice the difference.  
"I don't know what it is, but you're no fun to hang out with anymore."

The transforming man can't explain it, but he doesn't feel comfortable around all his old sinful vices, so he decides to separate himself from those in the world.  He prefers to stick around those with the same goals and values as he, after all, "Bad company corrupts good character." (1 Corinthians 15:33) So he lets go of all his old friends and makes new, Christian ones.

This new believer used solid reason and logic to decide to move away from his old life, and many times that is a good idea until one's faith has grown strong enough to survive.  But what if I took it further and continued to only associate with the "righteous?"  If I made a list of all my friends and acquaintances, can I name any non-believers?

This raises some interesting questions:  Do I feel uncomfortable being around the down-and-out, like alcoholics, drug-addicts, the career-homeless or the prostitutes who prowl the street at night?  Would I invite someone to dinner in my home who hadn't bathed for weeks?  Have I ever thought to sit on the bus beside someone who looks strung-out on drugs?  Have I ever cared to learn the name of the beggar I pass every day on my way to work?

Jesus loved to hang out with people like this.  He knew that He was the way and the truth and the life, and He loved His sheep enough to bring them salvation; even if it meant He might get a little dirty or ruin His reputation with the church people.  Jesus was all about pleasing His Father.

What about me?

Seek out the Sick

The schedule is cram-packed with good, wholesome activities for the whole family.  There are plenty of opportunities to serve and to be made useful in the body of Christ.  I never really have to leave the safety of the church building: my membership is all-inclusive!

While this is the approach of many modern-day congregations, it was never the tactic used by Jesus.  An important part of His ministry was to teach in the Temple and the synagogues (Luke 4:15, John 18:20 Luke 19:47), but most of the time He was out in the field, getting close-up and personally involved in the lives of the people He loved.

If I am going to become more Christ-like, I will have to allow God to change my mind-set.  Instead of mainly being concerned with my own character or holiness, I will need to start to love others right where they are.  That means I may need to visit somewhere I'd usually never be caught dead going, or to talk to people I  would, as a rule, avoid like the plague.

My God, whose Spirit courses through my being, is all about the down and out.  He said in Ezekiel 34:16, "I will search for the lost and bring back the strays.  I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy.  I will shepherd the flock with justice."  When He prompts me to reach out to a hurting soul cloaked in ugliness, I can either drop my fears and doubts and let Him work through me, or stay away where I feel more comfortable.

If I want to be like Jesus, I need to seek out the sick.

Follow Jesus

It is said that a man dubbed the Pied Piper entered the town of Hamelin in 1284, promising, for a fee, to rid the place of all rodents.  The townsfolk agreed and the man subsequently took out a fife and began playing it as he walked through the town.  All the rats and mice followed him to their death in the river.  Once the deed was done, however, the people reneged on their deal, sending the man away discouraged and bitter.  When he returned, he once again played the fife, but this time it was the children, 130 in all, who followed them to their demise in a mountainous cave.  No parent ever saw their precious ones again.

While Jesus did not use the same kind of magical powers the Pied Piper utilized, He did possess a command that drew His sheep to Him.  When He said, "Follow Me," those who belonged to Him left everything behind to join Him.

Levi was a pretty well-to-do man.  As a tax-collector, he most likely gathered more money than the Romans required, pocketing the excess for his own personal use.  As you can imagine, tax collectors were not popular citizens.

When he encountered Jesus, however, everything else suddenly seemed irrelevant and unimportant.  He was drawn to leave all his lucrative career behind.   What he didn't leave behind, however, were his old friends.  When he threw a banquet for His Savior, he invited the whole crowd including all his tax-collector colleagues.  He wanted them to meet and get to know the One who had changed his life.

What am I willing to leave behind for Jesus?  A career, like Levi?  What if He asks me to leave the home I worked so hard to attain so I can live among the down-and-out?  If He gives me the option to follow Him into the unknown, will I take it?  

Living as a disciple of Jesus is not about my comfort, its about His mission.  It's not about my rights, it's about God's glory.  It's not about my reputation, it's about His message.  Following Jesus means I'll have to leave behind anything that gets between me and Him.

If I want to follow Jesus, I'll need to rid myself of all obstacles.

Obey Jesus

Secular humanists believe they have the ability within themselves to decide what's right and wrong for them.  With no God to provide structure for decent and moral living, every human is then left to decide for themselves how to live.  As evidenced by today's impure and destructive culture, this line of thinking is far from healthy.

While it may seem great for me to live my life based on what seems right to me, it can never work since each person selfishly looks out for her own best interest.  I will naturally always choose what will benefit me.  That's why the teachings of Jesus are so radical.

When Jesus said to give generously, but not to let anyone know what I'm doing, (Matthew 6:2-4) that goes against my desire to look good to others.  Suddenly, what used to be a win-win situation; someone is helped by my generosity and I get a boost in my reputation, now becomes a private exercise in devoted obedience.

When Jesus said to not go after what I need, but to instead focus on Him and His kingdom, letting God provide, it feels very unnatural. (Matthew 6:25-34) My whole purpose for living may be so wrapped up in providing for myself and my family that I don't know how to refocus my attention on living for Him.  It seems irresponsible and reckless.

When Jesus said to turn the other cheek, the idea runs smack dab into my desire to defend myself.  (Matthew 5:38-41) How can I let it go?  And risk looking like a wimp or a fool?  Never!  

Doing what Jesus said goes against my nature, but with the power provided by His Spirit, it is possible.  The only thing in the way is me.

If I want to obey Jesus, I need to clear out my self to make room for more of Him.


I like to live a comfortable life and I don't want to be bothered by anything that disrupts that objective.  When I take Jesus as my Lord and Savior, however, He begins to turn my life upside down.  I'll want to seek out the sick, leave everything behind to follow where He leads me, and to do what He says at all costs; to the glory of God.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can follow Jesus wherever He goes.

How do I fall behind because Jesus is going somewhere I'm afraid to go?

When do I let peer pressure influence my actions instead of acting out of pure obedience to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment