The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

No Neutral Ground

"He who is not with me is against me,
and he who does not gather with me, scatters.
When an evil spirit comes out of a man,
it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it.
Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.'
When it arrives,
 it finds the house swept clean and put in order.
Then it goes and takes seven other spirits
more wicked than itself,
and they go in and live there.
And the final condition of that man
is worse than the first."
Luke 11:23-26



Sweden has long been known as a neutral country, refusing to take one side or the other but simply staying out of any conflicts or wars.  Today this philosophy is spilling over into the social realm as many Swedes are pushing for a gender-neutral government and society.  This year they have added a new pronoun into their official online version of the National Encyclopedia to be used as a gender-neutral replacement for "he" or "she."  "Hen" is now the preferred pronoun to be used to refer to a person without specifying their gender.  

While these progressive Swedes have deceived themselves into thinking gender does not matter, their foolishness does not change the Truth. God created man in His own image and made a distinction between males and females.  To God, gender does matter.  (Genesis 1:27)

This is how God operates.  There is truth and then there is falsehood.  There is right and there is wrong.  There is male and there is female.  While the world likes to try to convince us that there is a neutral ground or a gray area, God says otherwise.  Either I am working with Jesus, or I am working against Him.  I'm on His side, or I'm on the Enemy's.  I'm furthering the Kingdom of God, or I'm hampering His work.

I don't like to think of myself as working against God, but there are several ways in which I do just that.

Clean it Up

A friend of mine is trying to quit smoking.  She is finding out that there are a lot of different programs, treatments and methods available to help her stop this destructive and unhealthy habit.  While she wants to quit, she knows from past experience that it is virtually impossible to expect success from anything that resembles cutting out the nicotine cold-turkey:  It is beyond her own strength and ability to withstand the resulting side-effects.

It's like this with any bad habit or routine.  I may have the desire to stop cursing and resolve to never again utter a four-letter word, but the moment I'm weak and temptation strikes, I'm prone to going back to my old ways.

My attempts to try to clean up my act and behave more "Christian-like" work against what God wants to do in my heart.  He wants to transform my thinking and soften my heart, making it more sensitive to sin.  If, instead of surrendering to God, I try to sweep myself clean of everything evil and sinful in my own effort, my "house" will be empty and vulnerable to attack from the Enemy of my soul.

I am not saved by works, nor can I ever think to rescue my own self from the influence that sin has over me.  Instead, I must rely on the power that comes through my faith in the blood of Jesus which fills me with His Spirit.  (Romans 7:24-25)

Nineteenth-Century missionary Andrew Murray recognized his own helplessness against sin.  He said, "Remember the great need you have of the grace and assistance of God.  You should never lose sight of him--not for a moment."

I am made right with God through faith in Jesus. (Romans 1:16-17)  And this gift of grace is what opens up a relationship with a holy God who finishes what He started when He first called me.  He doesn't leave me as I was when I first began to call Him "Father."  No!  He begins His work in me from the moment I accept Jesus as my Savior and submit myself to Him as my Lord, and He doesn't quit until He's finished.  (Philippians 1:6)  As my friend likes to say, "Be patient with me, I'm under construction."

I am called to live a holy, pure life.  This process of sanctification, however, is not a job I can take on myself.  Instead, it is the result of God's hand in my life as I surrender myself to Him and exchange my will for His.  (1 Thessalonians 4:7-8)

When I try to clean up my own act in my own effort, I work against God and what He wants to do in His power, for His glory.

Fake it

I have heard it said that we should, "fake it 'til we make it, " meaning that with a positive attitude I can make anything happen.  Do I want to have the confidence of a rock start?  Pretend like I do until it comes naturally.  Have I always visualized myself as a novelist?  Tell myself I am and soon I'll be writing like the pros.  Am I up against a devastating bout with cancer?  All I need is optimism and everything will turn out alright.

Unfortunately, there is only so far a positive attitude will take me if there's nothing to back it up.  It reminds me of a movie set where it looks like I'm seeing a real city landscape, but when I walk around to the backside of the storefronts, I find out it was all a facade: there are no real businesses to back up the claim of a town.

Does this translate to my walk with Christ?  Can I fake a humble heart until it actually exists?  I don't think so.  A sense of humility comes from recognizing my weakness and inability to do anything good in and of myself.  It also acknowledges that God is big enough to use me even if I can't see myself able to do anything for Him.  In other words, humility is the ability to take myself out of the equation and focus completely on God and His glory.  

Jesus is the picture of humility.  He is God.  He has every right to be treated with respect, honor and glory.  He should be exalted.  Even though He knew all of these things, He chose to lower himself to the position of a mere man out of obedience to His Father.  He didn't demand to be treated as He deserved, but instead took the treatment He was unjustifiably given.  Jesus was all about His Father's will, not His own position or rights.

This kind of attitude cannot be faked.  It comes through a process God takes me through as I admit my weakness and need for Him.  He guides me through struggles, presents difficulties into my life and serves us a generous portion of suffering, using these as tools to humble me.

When I try to fake it till I make it, I work against a God who knows how to humble a man or woman.  (Daniel 4:37)

Work

My husband has always been a hard worker and admires anyone who holds a high work ethic.  If you want to impress him, put your nose to the grindstone and get the job done!

It's easy to transfer this attitude that hard work pays off into my walk with Christ.  I like to think that I can impress God with all the labor I'm putting in for him.  I gladly volunteer in any capacity within the church when help is needed.  I cheerfully take on projects that no one else will do.  I pitch in whenever a call for assistance is placed.  

When I work for God, I'm the one in control of what I do, when I do it and who I work with.  I'm not following His lead, but running ahead, desperately trying to get His attention.  If I want Him to notice me, all I need to do is sit down and acknowledge His presence. (Psalm 46:10 , Jeremiah 29:13)  When I focus on my relationship with Him, it gives Him the opportunity to show me what He wants me to do. He changes the way I think as I spend time with Him, allowing me to see things more from His perspective.  (Romans 12:1-2)

Waiting is hard.  Pausing and letting God take the lead means that I'm admitting I'm not in control.  Trusting God does not come naturally.  When I'm unsure how I'll pay the bills, faith is resting in His provision despite what my checking account tells me.  When I'm living a nightmare that seems to never end, faith is leaning on His protection regardless of how vulnerable I feel.  When I'm tired of fighting the good fight, faith carries on in the face of fatigue.

Letting God work for me is not without it's rewards.  Isaiah so eloquently penned these words so long ago, but they still ring true today: ". . .they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31 KJV)

When I try to work for God I'm working against Him and soon run out of steam; but if I wait for Him and follow His lead, I'll never grow weary.


In God's kingdom there is no neutral ground:  Either I'm working with Jesus or against Him.  I don't intend to oppose Him, but I do just that when I attempt to clean myself up, fake the fruit of the Spirit, and work for God in my own strength.  It is my desire to instead work alongside Jesus to gather the harvest to which He has called me.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can firmly plant my feet on Jesus' side.

How do I try to clean my outside up while inside I'm still as dirty as can be?

When do I try to fake humility and which people in my life know the "real me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment