The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Extravagant Worship

"While (Jesus) was in Bethany, reclining at a table in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, 
a woman came with an alabaster jar
 of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard.
She broke the jar and
 poured the perfume on his head.
Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, 'Why this waste of perfume?
It could have been sold for more than a year's wages
and the money given to the poor.'
And they rebuked her harshly.
'Leave her alone,' said Jesus.
'Why are you bothering her?  
She has done a beautiful thing to me.
The poor you will always have with you,
and you can help them any time you want.
  But you will not always have me.
She did what she could
She poured perfume on my body beforehand
to prepare for my burial.
I tell you the truth,
wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world,
what she has done will also be told,
in memory of her.'"
Mark 14:3-9


It seemed like a waste.  Many needy people could have been fed with the money brought in from the selling of that one jar of top-of-the-line perfume.  Instead, the selfish woman poured it on the head of Jesus.  How could she?  There was so much good that could have come from the donation of that pure nard.  It was too late now.  The opportunity was gone for the sake of one extravagant moment.

Oswald Chambers noticed that Jesus is all about relationships.  His bond with His Father was the most important focus of His life.  In the same way, Mr. Chambers says it's as if Jesus is saying to us, "Don't rejoice in successful service, but rejoice because you are rightly related to Me.  The snare in Christian work is to rejoice in successful service, to rejoice in the fact that God has used you.  You never can measure what God will do through you if you are rightly related to Jesus Christ."

When I focus on nurturing my connection to Jesus, I see things in a different light.  Where once I thought doing practical things were vital, God turns my eyes toward seemingly hopeless acts.  When the most common-sense thing to do is to physically join in the search for a missing girl, He centers my attention of praying and encouraging.  When my daughter seems headed in the wrong direction and advice points me toward drawing a line in the sand, Jesus leads me toward forgiveness and mercy.  When it seems my husband needs a wake-up call, God shows me that what He really needs is my respect.

Paul teaches in Romans 12:1 that because of the great mercy of God which saved me from the death I deserve due to my sin, my most extravagant act of worship could be to give my life as a living sacrifice.  Setting my life apart for His use in His time through His power is the most impressive act of adoration God could receive.  

The woman with the perfume understood how to honor Jesus.  In turn, Jesus honored her act of worship because it came from a sincere heart that was fully devoted to Him.  Sacrificial love doesn't always make sense, but it touches the heart of God.

Impractical

It didn't make sense to him and seemed to be a waste of materials and time, but Noah obeyed the directive from God.  He was to build an ark whose length would span the distance of 1 1/4 football fields lying end to end while the breadth would take up about half the field's width.  This mammoth ship would nearly reach the height of a four story building when it was finished.  To Noah's mind, constructing such a sea-going vessel in the middle of dry land seemed to be highly unreasonable, but Noah cared more about obeying the God he loved than anything else.

Common sense and obedience to God do not go hand-in-hand.  One comes from the natural while the other is from the spiritual.  If I am to worship God with my life, I will have to stop relying on my own logic.  

Instead, I can, "Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own.  Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track."  (Proverbs 3:5-6 MSG)

God's path is going to look weird, irresponsible, reckless and stupid to the world.  People around me will most likely make fun of me, question my sanity or counsel me to change my mind.  If, however, it is God I aim to please, I will be empowered to continue moving toward Jesus without regard to the distracting voices all around me. (1 Corinthians 1:18-31)

If I am going to worship God with my life, then I will wholeheartedly follow His calling even when it seems unrealistic.

Wasteful

David was nothing if not exuberant in his worship of God.  Even though the LORD had struck down Uzziah when he reached out to keep the ark from falling as they transported it on an oxen-pulled cart, David realized the error of his ways in failing to follow the commands of God concerning the holy ark and recovered from his initial feelings of anger and fear at God's harsh action.  David humbled himself, understanding that he had callously transported a holy object as if it were an idol of a false god or a common item. 

In response, David made sure all the proper preparations were made and returned his heart to it's position of devotion to God.  As the ark made it's trip from the house of Obed-Edom to Jerusalem, David unceremoniously stripped himself of his kingly robes and danced before the LORD in a celebration of God Almighty.  (2 Samuel 6)

When he got back to the palace, his wife was embarrassed at this display of fervor before the LORD.  She despised him as he brought dishonor to the crown and thus to her.  She thought him vulgar and beneath herself.  

As over the top as David's worship seemed, it pleased God to see his extravagant devotion.  What his wife called over done God called just right.  

Maybe someone is telling me I'm spending too much time in prayer and study of God's word.  They're calling it a waste of time and energy.  If it's out of devotion to God, He will honor my efforts and receive it as worship.  

Perhaps God has called me to volunteer my time instead of getting a paid job.  Those around me may ridicule my efforts, calling me a fool for refusing payment.  If it's an act of worship toward God, He will honor my obedience.

It could be that I answered the call to stay at home with my children but many friends tell me I am better off in the workplace where I won't lose my skills or reputation.  If it's out of obedience to God, He will be pleased with my choice of occupation.

If I am going to worship God with my life, then I will wholeheartedly follow His calling even when it seems wasteful or over the top.

With Abandon

There she was, a young teenage woman pledged to be married to a man but shamefully pregnant.  Everywhere Mary went, gossip was not far behind.  People could be so cruel!  People she thought were her friends and even family members joined in the rumor-spreading.

Mary's heart, however, was at peace.  She magnified the Lord at all He was doing in her and through her!  What an honor, she thought, to be chosen by God for His glorious works! (Luke 1:46-55)

Mary's thoughts were not on her own predicament as an unmarried pregnant woman.  Instead, she was focused on what God was doing; bringing forth the promised Messiah!  She abandoned all thought of her own reputation, hardship and shame and chose to center her attention on the One she loved.

What is God calling me to do that strikes fear in my heart.  It could seem like it's too big a job for little ole' me.  Maybe I'm worried what people will think and say.  What if I follow God and then it fails, leaving me looking like a fool?

God desires that I abandon all thought of myself and focus only on obedience to Him.  As I give up my doubts, my fears will go away and all I will see is the Love of my life.

If I am going to worship God with my life, then I will wholeheartedly follow His calling without thought to myself or my reputation.


The woman with the alabaster jar worshiped Jesus extravagantly.  She inspires me to let go of my practical, uptight, and self-centered attitude and worship God with a sincere heart.  It is then that my obedience will be honored as beautiful and extravagant.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will worship God without thought to myself.

How do I worry more about what others think than what God thinks?

When do I hold myself back in living my life for God because it might be a little over the top? 

   

2 comments:

  1. I needed to read this today! I've been working on learning how to worship God wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete