The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Solid Rock

"As he was leaving the temple,
one of his disciples said to him,
'Look, Teacher!  
What massive stone!
What magnificent buildings!'
'Do you see all these great buildings?' replied Jesus.
'Not one stone here will be left on another;
every one will be thrown down.'
Mark 13:1-2




It's hard not to be impressed by the Cathedral of Notre Dame, a 12th to 13th century example of French Gothic architecture and one of the most widely recognized Christian structures in the world.  It was one of the first buildings to use the impressive flying buttress system, allowing for the massive vaulted roof.  The building itself extends to a length of 420 feet while the two towers in front stand 226 feet high.  As if the enormity, beauty and intricate detail were not enough to drop a tourist's jaw, Notre Dame also sits on one of the most scenic spots along the Seine River, making it an impressive example of the feats of man.

The Ancient Greeks created a list of the Seven Wonders of the World which categorizes the most impressive man-made structures in their known world.  Since then, more modern versions have been created to highlight amazing feats of architecture.  Some of the common entries include the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal, the Egyptian Pyramids and the Roman Colosseum.

Man has always been amazed by works of their own hands.  Even in Jesus' times, His disciples were in awe of the temple that stood on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.  Jesus put things into perspective, however, by reminding them that the temple would be destroyed, as it was by the Romans in 70 AD.  As easy as it is to put my faith in things that seem indestructible and sturdy, everything that is not based on the solid rock of Jesus will one day be turned to ashes.  (1 Corinthians 3:10-15)

I can admire and wish to emulate the lives of successful people I see on television, or even sitting in the pew beside me, but if they are not pointing me to Christ, then my focus is off.  Instead, it is my desire to base my life on Him.

Righteousness

I have heard it said more than once that the church is filled with hypocrites who are quick to point out the sin of others but slow to look inward toward their own filthy heart.  This does not make for a welcoming atmosphere.

When I think I'm pretty good in my own right, I can easily see the sins of others while ignoring what's wrong within my own life.  But when I remember my true identity; a sinner saved by grace, then I will be less likely to judge others.

Paul explained to Titus that, "he saved us, not because of his mercy.  He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."  (Titus 3:5-7)

I am made right with God by the blood of Jesus, not due to anything that is within me.  As Paul goes on to say,  "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so no one can boast."  (Ephesians 2:8-9)

I can easily admire others' accomplishments, gentle spirits or tenacious attitudes, but my real foundation for righteousness comes not in trying to be what I think I should be, but in embracing my true identity.  I am a wretched sinner who is saved by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ.

Basing my life on the solid rock of Jesus means I will always remember that my righteousness comes from Him.

Power

"The Power of Positive Thinking"
"The Magic of Thinking Big"
"How to Attract Health, Wealth, Love and Luck into Your Life Immediately"
"The Art of Happiness"
"The Power of Now"
"The Gateway:Discover the Power to Create an Outrageously Prosperous and Happy Life"

The bookstore is chock-full of ideas of how to tap into some hidden power source to reach the life you've always wanted to live.  The books promise fulfillment, peace, happiness, ambition and new-found energy.  As much as I've tried to will myself to do better, there are always areas in which I struggle and fail. (Romans 7) I just don't have it within me to become the woman God created me to be.

When I took Jesus to be my Savior and committed my life to Him, He gave me the gift of the Holy Spirit who dwells within me.  (Acts 3:38  2 Timothy 1:14)  God's Spirit produces all kinds of fruit when I allow Him to rule my life.  (Galatians 5:22-23)  This love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control will be evident to all those around me.  This fruit does not exist when I live by my own effort or when following my heart.  Instead, it comes when I submit my life to God and let Him lead.

The ability to live a life pleasing to God does not exist within my natural self.  Instead, it is an extension of His indwelling Spirit.  "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."  (2 Timothy 1:7)  He is the source of the power to live a godly life.  

Oswald Chambers breaks it down to understandable terms, pointing out the difference between human effort and His supernatural work.  Mr. Chambers says, "It is the work that God does through us that counts, not what we do for Him."

Basing my life upon the solid rock of Jesus means the power to live a successful life pleasing to God will come from Him.

Teachings

There is nothing more gratifying than in seeing my daughters follow my teachings.  Not only am I thankful to know they were actually listening all those years, but to see them put the wisdom into action means that they have faith in me as their mother.  It is then that I know that they love me.

It is the same with Jesus who heard from a lot of people who claimed to love Him.  Jesus said that those who truly love Him will do as He says.  Those who don't obey His teachings don't really love Him.  This, Jesus said, is all according to the Father who sent Him.  (John 14:23-24)

Jesus set the bar pretty high.  He said I need to turn the other cheek, love my enemies, pray for those who persecute me, and forgive others that hurt me.  (Matthew 5)  I can't even get past my first example because it is in my nature to stand up for myself.  I've never been one to back down from a good fight!

Thankfully, He doesn't expect me to follow His teachings in my own strength.  Instead, He taught that He is, "the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

As I read God's Word, I must take it seriously and apply it to my life.  When I come across a directive that I've neglected to employ in my own life, I can either ignore it, or put it into use.  If I'm rightly related to Jesus at the time, I will want to decide to obey Him and He will give me the ability to do so.

If, however, I've strayed from His side and am following my own lead, then I will easily pass over the directive found in the passage I just read.

Basing my life upon the solid rock of Jesus means I'll have the desire to do what He says.


There are many people, beliefs, movements or lifestyles I may admire in this life.  But basing my life on any of the above will lead to disaster.  Building my life upon the solid rock of Jesus, however, means I'll be made pure and clean by His blood, will have the power to please God, and will be given the desire and ability to follow His teachings.  In this way, I will be placing my hope on things that will last an eternity instead of building a life on things that are weak and temporary.  In the end, God's kingdom is the only thing that will last.

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will build my life on Jesus.

How do I get distracted by things I'm doing for God and forget about my relationship with Him?

When do I fail to take a step of faith because I think it depends on my own power?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment