The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Give It All

"And Jesus sat over against the treasury,
and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury;
and many that were rich cast in much.
And there came a certain poor widow,
 and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
And he called unto him his disciples, and say to them,
'Verily I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast more in,
than all they which have cast into the treasury:
For all they did cast in of their abundance;
but she of your want did cast in all that she had,
even all her living.'"
Mark 12:41-44 KJV


It seemed as though all hope was lost.  Her daughter was missing.  A horrible career criminal had been arrested for her kidnapping, but the girl had yet to be found.  She was tempted to doubt.  The questions began to sting, accusing her of the unthinkable;  Maybe she's not as good a mother as they say.  She put her daughter at risk.  How is she staying so strong?  Maybe she planned this.  Maybe she's behind it all, otherwise wouldn't she be hysterical?  She's just too calm.

In a way, the widow who gave all she had is like this suffering mother.  Both knew God.  Each one was hurting in their own way but trusted God enough to believe that He would provide what they needed.  The widow sacrificed all her money, knowing that her heavenly Father would provide for her needs despite her poverty.  The mother sacrificed her privacy as she laid bare her soul in order to find her precious girl, knowing that her heavenly Father would provide protection against the cruel attacks.

Jesus honors faith made real by actions.  Just as the widow showed her belief that God would provide despite what the circumstances told her by donating her last coins, I can also give all I have.  In the same way that the mother threw her reputation aside, knowing that God would redeem her, I can forget about how I look and simply do as He says.  If God is for me, who (or what) can be against me?  (Romans 8:31)

Jesus will honor me if I can give until there's nothing left.  But where do I start?

Willingness

Anyone who has raised children knows that a parent can assign a chore but the child's attitude while carrying out the directive is directly proportional to the state of their heart.  In other words, my daughter can sweep the floor as she's been told but only if she's willing to obey will the experience be pleasant.  Otherwise, her face will scowl and she'll grudgingly do as little as possible to get by.  

My desire to give sacrificially reflects my heart.  A heart inclined toward God and pleasing Him will cheerfully comply with His calling on my life.  Fear will be vanquished as I exchange my doubts for a desire to obey my heavenly Father.  

A heart plagued with disbelief and skepticism, however, will hold back and fail to act on what it is God has placed on my heart to do.  Obedience is the last thing on my mind as my fear blows  willingness out the window.

The Apostle Paul instructed the believers at Corinth in his second letter to them that, ". . .if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have." (2 Corinthians 8:12)  It doesn't matter what may or may not happen or whether or not I'm fit to accomplish the task.  If I'm willing, my gift will be received.   

To begin learning to give until there's nothing left, I must first cultivate a willing heart.

Faith

Once my heart is devoted to pleasing God and obeying Him, I'll need faith to fuel my actions.  I remember training to run a marathon.  As part of the preparation, I had to learn to bring along liquids to re-hydrate myself during the long periods of exertion.  All the conditioning in the world would mean nothing if I ran out of steam.

In the same way, I can have a great attitude and desire to do things for God, but if I don't have the faith to give me the boost I need to propel me into action, my cheerful enthusiasm will mean nothing.

A few months ago I learned of a young, single mother in our community who lost everything in a house fire.  I went to work gathering needed items to donate to this needy woman.  As I compiled the list of household goods that were considered to be immediate necessities, I expressed a desire to God to be able to furnish some of the items.  I knew we didn't have any extra money at the time, but my heart was willing to help.  

Immediately, I heard God speak to my spirit to give what I had.  I argued that I didn't have anything to give!  Then God gently instructed me to go to each closet and cupboard and take out the things on the list.  I began collecting pillows, blankets, rugs, towels and other supplies.  Soon, I had collected a few boxes full of goods.  Then I came to the kitchen where I clearly heard God tell me to give our entire set of stainless steel cookware. That didn't make any sense to me!  What would we cook on?  My desire to obey needed a belief that God would provide for our needs in order for me to be able to give up all we had to cook on.

As my faith drove me to hand over our cookware that day, I realized that God can do much with little.  Since then, our family of six has been cooking amazing meals using only a wok I found gathering dust in a dark corner and a cheap frying pan.  Doing without the nice set of pans has never been an inconvenience or hindrance.

Perhaps Oswald Chambers described faith best when he said, "Every time you venture out in the life of faith, you will find something in your common-sense circumstances that flatly contradicts your faith.  Common sense is not faith, and faith is not common sense; they stand in the relation of the natural and the spiritual. . .Faith is unutterable trust in God, trust which never dreams that He will not stand by us."

What thoughts are holding back my faith just now?  It's so easy to defeat myself before I even take a step.  Instead of talking myself out of obeying God, however, maybe it would be better for me to focus on God and His faithfulness.  I can trust Him, if only I will.

A willing heart will help me to develop a faith that won't waver in the face of overwhelming circumstances so that I can learn to give until there's nothing left.

No Limits

Possessing a willingness to obey and a faith to drive me into action will get me started on the path to giving as the widow gave.  Then, I may reach a point where the ingratitude, the criticism or the temptation to base my giving on those I judge to be deserving will cause me to question when enough is enough.  After all, how many times should I be expected to help, or assist, or offer a hand?  

There is no cap on giving.  When Jesus, being in the very form of God lowered himself from His heavenly position to come to earth as a human being, He held back nothing. (paraphrased from Philippians 2:5-11)  He gave His all, pouring out his very life in sacrifice on the cross so that I might live eternally when I take Him as my Savior.  If He as God Himself gave all he had, why would I think that I as a lowly sinner saved by God's grace think I can give any less?

I am a follower of Jesus and expect similar treatment and circumstances.  Since He is my role model, why would I want to hang onto anything when there is absolutely nothing that I can let go of that can get me closer to Jesus?  There is no human, no possession, no character trait, no ability that is able to give me what only Christ can give.  Therefore, there is no risk in letting go of all I have and all I am for His sake.  

As Paul said, ". . . whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ."  (Philippians 3:7-9)

If everything is garbage compared to knowing Christ, what is stopping me from giving it all away?  When I truly grasp the truth that only Christ is of value, then I will genuinely be able to offer myself as a living sacrifice.  (Romans 12:1-2)

Once I grasp the truth of the value of the cross and what Jesus did there for me, giving without limits will become as natural as breathing.


It may seem impossible that I could give like the poor widow gave, without thought to her own needs.  But anyone can give in a way that Jesus honors when by learning to cultivate a willing heart, letting God build my faith as I trust Him enough to obey, and realizing the depth of the sacrifice Jesus made for me so that I will no longer be constrained by boundaries.  Then I'll be able to give all I have and leave the rest up to God.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will let go of the doubt that blocks my faith.

How do I fear giving too much, afraid that I'll have nothing left for me?

When do I avoid giving because I don't want to do without?  

No comments:

Post a Comment