The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, August 27, 2012

God's to Give

"They replied,'Let one of us sit
at your right and the other at your left in your glory.'
'You don't know what you are asking,' Jesus said.
'Can you drink the cup I drink
or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?'
'We can,' they answered.
Jesus said to them,'You will drink the cup I drink
and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with,
but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant.
These places belong to those
for whom they have
been prepared.'"
Mark 10:37-40


There has been much talk lately that we are living in the age of entitlement.  The younger generation seems to think they deserve things their parents had to work years to earn.  Things like a car, a house, a good paying job with benefits and a diversified investment portfolio.

For reasons that have been analyzed to death, many young adults think these are things to be expected instead of understanding that there are sacrifices to be made and years of effort to be put forth before one gets to the point of securing a new car, a nice home or a position that provides medical and dental benefits.  Instead, many think these luxuries are things that are deserved.

In some way, James and John carried this same attitude.  They had grown close to Jesus and felt that, as the Messiah and rightful King, Jesus would need trusted advisers and confidantes.  They could think of no better people than themselves to fill these positions, so they went ahead and made their pitch, as it were.  How 'bout it Jesus?  Can we sit beside you when you take the throne?

The problem was, these two over-eager disciples didn't know what they were asking.  They knew very little about Jesus' true identity and even less about His mission.  They were about to find out, but for now, they didn't have a clue.  

Still, they asked.  

There are times when I expect things I have no business anticipating.  I try to put myself in charge of how God will bless me or how He'll use me.  My desire to control my own destiny gets in the way of God's plan for my life.  If only I knew what I was really asking. . .

Honor

There is an entire industry devoted to building a desirable name for those in the public spotlight.  The more likable someone is, the more product that person can sell and the money they can make.  Interestingly, basketball player and coach John Wooden said, "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."  It's not surprising, than, that many stars and popular icons have a hard time dealing with life.  They can't separate the image of themselves from the reality.  

I naturally desire a good name for myself.  I am not a celebrity who is out to make a profit from my name, but I do want good feelings associated with my name.  When people think of me, I want them to smile or be challenged, not to grimace or smirk.  I am concerned with my own sense of honor.

If I do carry a good reputation, I want it all to reflect well upon my Lord Jesus Christ.  If people think I'm pretty good in my own strength, then I'm stealing from His good name.  Instead, I want all the honor to go to God.

When I expect honor and a good reputation in my own right, I'm not paying attention to the consequences: I'm taking credit away from Jesus who deserves it all.

Position

Many children say they would like to be the President of the United States when they grow up without understanding all the responsibilities and sacrifices that come with that job.  Mostly, they just want the title and power that comes with the office.  

It may be that I hold this same attitude with positions in God's kingdom.  Maybe I like the idea of the job better than the job itself.  Leaderships positions may seem glamorous and powerful, but there is a lot of humbling and sacrifice that comes before a believer is ready to lead other Christians.

Bible teachers encourage and challenge others with their teaching, but there is a lot of preparation and wrestling over the Word that comes as they prepare the lesson God gives them each week.

It would seem meaningful to be able to help others sort through their problems, but only those who know how to point people to the Healer can truly be effective in a counseling ministry.  

I may fantasize about a particular position in ministry, but until God has called me, He won't equip me.  Just as James and John wanted the position of being at Jesus' side but had no idea what Jesus was about to go through and that soon they would abandon their Savior to carry out His Father's plan all alone, I am prone to desire a certain place for the wrong reasons.  I could want prestige, to further God's Kingdom, or simply to add some meaning to my life.  Whatever the reason, if I don't accept a position out of direct obedience to God's calling in my life, I am taking the job for the wrong reason.      

When I expect a position without understanding the sacrifices to be made, I am just plain foolish.

Glory

We've all seen it: the two-year-old throwing a temper tantrum in the grocery store aisle.   Most of the time, a tantrum occurs when the child grows frustrated with not getting what she wants.  As she screams and carries on, her hope is to manipulate her parent or caretaker into caving into her desires.  

As embarrassing as the tantrum is for the mother, it is not only used as a tool of manipulation.  Sometimes, a fit is a cry for help.  If a child does not receive adequate love and time from his parent, he may resort to desperate means to garner that attention: even if it's negative attention.

There are times when I, too, work hard to receive accolades from those I respect, to build prestige for myself, or to crave the spotlight.  It feels good for others to recognize my hard work, commitment and love for Christ.  The problem is, when I seek glory for myself, I am stealing it from God.

My life is not my own as a follower of Christ.  As Paul said in 1 Corinthians 6:20, "For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." (KJV)  If my whole being belongs to Jesus, bought with His blood spilled on the cross, then I have no rights to myself.  As His chosen child, all the recognition for anything good in my life goes to God.

When I expect praise for all the things God is doing, I am forgetting that the glory is all God's to receive.


Even though I'm living in the age of entitlement, I don't want to carry this same attitude when it comes to God.  Instead, I want to guard against demanding notoriety when I don't know the consequences connected to that honor, expecting to hold a certain position when I haven't a clue to the sacrifices or responsibilities required, and thinking I should get at least some credit when God deserves it all.  Every good thing is God's alone to give.  My only job is to be humble enough to receive when the time is right.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will not expect things about which I have no clue.

When do I think I'm ready for a certain role instead of letting God lead me to it?

How do I desire attention that belongs to God alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment