The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Anointed

"Now it is God who makes both us 
and you stand firm in Christ.
He anointed us,
set his seal of ownership on us,
and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit,
guaranteeing what is to come."
2 Corinthians 1:21-22


I go through walking shoes as if I were a long-distance runner training for a marathon.  Within weeks, a new pair of sneakers will start to break down and soon I'll be wearing through the soles.  In order to try to preserve the integrity of my workout footwear for as long as possible, I set aside one pair only for walking.  I don't wear them to run errands or to work in the garden.  I keep that pair only for that one specific purpose.

This reminds me of how God treats me.  He chose me to belong to Him, and thus, He set me aside for Him.  Since I live in a world that's completely focused on self: promoting myself, pleasing myself, pampering myself, and providing for the needs and wants of myself, I can easily fall into this same self-centered mode of thinking.

In reality, though, God made me for His purposes.  I am here to glorify Him.  As a follower of Christ, I am plucked out of the selfishness of the world's way of thinking and made into a new creation, set apart for Him.  If I'm going to live for Him and truly accept His anointing on my life, I need to understand how He has set me apart as a believer.

Service

In a time of rising unemployment, the hospitality industry is growing at such a rate that it will provide a 17% increase in new jobs between the years of 2004 and 2014.  It seems if I want to find a good, stable job, I need look no further than hotels, theme parks and restaurants.  Serving others is an expanding business.

In God's kingdom, serving others is what I'm made to do.  The Apostle Paul explained it this way to the church at Ephesus.  "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."  (Ephesians 2:10)

It's natural for me to look out for myself.  For instance, if I find a great sale on a staple I use often, I will buy up extra so I'll have some on-hand for the months to come.  It doesn't occur to me to share the surplus with others; until God's Spirit lays it on my heart, that is.  God is generous and kind, as David so beautifully declares in Psalm 145:8-9.  "The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.  The LORD is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made."

If I embrace the anointing God has placed on my life, I will become a servant, looking to the interests of others.  (Philippians 2:4)

Taught

It has been said that a man who represents himself in court has a fool for an attorney.  Yes, it is foolish to neglect counsel and try to depend only upon one's own intelligence and wits.  If I were accused of a crime, I would need all the help I can get.

While it is wise to seek a professional's representation in a court of law, in the classroom of God's kingdom I need no human teacher.  While I can and do learn much from other believers, gifted teachers and anointed pastors, I need not depend on man for my knowledge of God and His kingdom.  John revealed that, "the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you." (1 John 2:27a)

This explains why I can read the scriptures and glean much wisdom from the words while my unbelieving friend doesn't get it.  To her it's dry and dull while to me it's rich and alive with meaning!  Furthermore, if I pay attention, God will teach me things using everyday objects and experiences that are happening all around me.  Just yesterday a friend of mine demonstrated this truth when I showed her how the alignment on our truck was off;  as soon as I let go of the steering wheel it veered off to the right.    Immediately, God showed her that when we line ourselves up with Him, it's possible to stay on His path.  Her anointing taught her a biblical truth. (John 15:5)    
  
John further explained in his first letter that, "you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.  I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth." (1 John 2:20-21)  As a believer who has been set aside by God for Him, I have been given the knowledge of the truth supernaturally.  When I study the Bible, I recognize the truth for what it is: His Word.  I soak it in as a sponge takes up water.  Because of this anointing, I can recognize the truth, and I know when something is false.  This comes from God.

If I embrace the anointing God placed on my life, I will be taught all I need to know by His Spirit.

Authentic

My friend was wearing a delicious fragrance the other day.  When I paid her a compliment, she explained how she bought it from a man who purchases outdated perfume at wholesale prices and sells them at a discounted rate.  She made a point to say it was the real thing, not one of those cheap knock-offs.

Likewise, I am able to maintain a real and authentic relationship with the living God!  It's not fake, based on my own worth, effort, abilities or fitness.  Instead, it is completely built upon the rock of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.  The only reason I can be in contact with a holy and perfect God is through the cleansing blood of Jesus that makes me white as snow. (Psalm 51:7, John 13:8

Moreover, according to 1 John 2:27b, keeping close to God is a part of the teaching I receive from His anointing.  I am reminded that, "just as (God's anointing) has taught you, remain in him."  Because of His hand on my life, I can stay connected to Him and allow His power and love to flow through me. (2 Timothy 1:7)  But the second I go off on my own, seeking my own agenda, obeying my fleshly desires or trying to fix problems in my own strength, that connection is broken and I'm on my own.

God's touch on my life propels me toward Him.  But sometimes I'm afraid, and that doubt blocks His goodness.  Other times I'm hurt and instead of sharing the pain with Him, I try to put up a brave front and carry it myself resulting in a breech of faith.  Many times I rely on my own wits, my own resources or my own common sense instead of depending on Him.  Then I truly see how weak I am and how much I need Jesus.

If I embrace the anointing God placed on my life, I will be inspired to maintain a close relationship with Him.


God's anointing is not for my benefit and blessing.  Instead, His calling on my life results in the creation of a servant's heart, supernatural teaching from God Himself, and the desire to keep close to the Source of all good things.  Once I accept this anointing, I can move forward as a woman who is confident in what God will do in my life.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can embrace the anointing God has already placed on my life as His child.

How do I block His grace by failing to live authentically in relationship with Him?

When do I fall back on my own intelligence instead of letting God impart His wisdom to me?      

No comments:

Post a Comment