The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Image Bearer

"Then Jesus said to them, 
'Give to Caesar what is Caesar's
and to God what is God's.'
And they were amazed at him."
Mark 12:17


They were trying hard to catch Jesus saying something incriminating.  If they could only find Him tripping up, then everyone would see how phony He was.  I mean, c'mon!  The Messiah coming from the town of Nazareth, the son of a lowly carpenter?  He was supposed to be a King!  One who would rescue them from their misery!  There is no way someone so ordinary and plain could do all that.  Yes, if they could only catch Him in a lie or saying something outrageous; then they could get rid of Him for good.

Many didn't recognize the One whom God sent to save us.  Neither did they understand His mission.  Even so, He amazed people everywhere He went with His wise words, astounding miracles and never-before-seen healings.  There was no doubt that Jesus was one of a kind.

In fact, in this particular case, Jesus blew everyone out of the water with the idea that I am to give what is owed.  I need not live a life completely ignorant of or in defiance to the world around me.  Instead, I am to give what I owe.

As a woman who bears God's image, what is it in my life that I owe to God?

Desires

Nineteenth century author and philosopher Henry David Thoreau advised to, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you have imagined."  Thankfully, my life did not turn out the way I thought it would.  My dreams were so short-visioned and completely opposite of what God had for me.  In retrospect, I'd rather follow His lead any time.

The twenty-third Psalm depicts God as my shepherd, providing things I need, quieting me, supporting me and bringing comfort.  One of the most powerful pictures is of Him leading me as His sheep.  I am prone to wander, but His staff brings relief as He guides me back on the path for His name's sake.

I can follow my heart, but it will lead me to despair.  (Jeremiah 17:9)  There are many well-meaning people whose advice I could take, but only God knows the plan for my life.  (Jeremiah 29:11) My common sense tells me to do one thing, but if I I pay attention only to God I can't go wrong.  (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Since I am made in God's image, I am created to be in a close intimate relationship with God and can let Him lead me instead of trying to fabricate my own life plan.

Will

He was so distressed He felt close to death.  The sorrow and anguish ran so deeply that drops of blood formed on His skin.  "Father, I know all things are possible with you.  If there is any other way. . .but not my will, but Yours be done."  (paraphrased from Mark 14:32-36 and Luke 22:39-44)

Jesus suffered immensely at the thought of what was to come.  Even so, His uppermost desire was for His Father's will to come to pass.  Many times I'm in a different type of agony.  Maybe it's physical, or it could be emotional or even spiritual.  Whatever the misery, it can't over power God's will.  The question is, am I going to get on board, or will I be a spectator stuck on the sidelines nursing my wounds?

I have two choices in this life.  Either I do things my way, stubbornly insisting that my way is fine for me, or I do things God's way, surrendering to His sovereign plan.  Whichever path I choose, God's will is going to move forward.  The only difference is that I'll miss out on the blessing that comes with obedience.

The Apostle Paul puts it this way:  "Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey--whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?" (Romans 6:16)  Paul goes on to explain that as a follower of Christ, I no longer am bound to sin, but have been freed from it's shackles through His blood.  Now, I am able to win the battle of the wills and yield my stubborn determination to God's control, and let Him have His way in my life.

Since I am made in God's image, I am created to bend my will to God, and let His purposes prevail in my life.

Heart

A friend of mine told me they have a saying in his homeland of Haiti that speaks to the resiliency of his people.  "As long as you still have a head, there is a chance that one day you will wear a hat."  The whole world learned of the resilient spirit of the Haitian people after the earthquake of 2010.  People did not give up despite the death and destruction that overwhelmed the rest of the world.  For some reason, the people of this tiny island nation possess strong hearts.  

Jesus said that whatever we treasure, that is where our heart will be. (Matthew 6:21)  If I value money above all things, my focus will be on wealth.  If I lose all or some of it when the stock market plummets, I will probably think my life is over.  

If it's my family that is most important to me, I would lose my mind if something horrible happened to one of my loved ones.  

If my career is the center of my life, I'll lose hope if I receive a pink slip.

If I treasure my relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ as the most valuable part of my life, nothing will shake me.  No kidnapper could destroy my faith through their evil.  No sudden downturn in the economy could knock me off my feet.  No disaster would threaten to destroy me.  Instead, my faith will tell me that my God will supply all my needs according to His glorious riches!  (Philippians 4:19)

Since I am made in God's image, He created me to be wholeheartedly devoted to Him.


God certainly doesn't need anything from me.  But as one of His image bearers, He designed me to work best when I'm in His hands.  I can surrender my desires to Him and take on His.  I can exchange my self-centered will for His, and I can devote my heart completely to Him.  In this way, I am giving to God what is God's.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can devote my whole heart to Jesus.

When do I insist on getting my way, ignoring God's gentle guidance?

How do I follow my dreams instead of the Good Shepherd?

No comments:

Post a Comment