The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Enticed!

"But I have a few complaints against you.
You tolerate some among you 
whose teaching is like that of Balaam,
who showed Balak how to trip up the people of Israel.
He taught them to sin by eating food offered to idols
and by committing sexual sin.
In a similar way,
you have some Nicolaitans among you
who follow the same teaching.
Repent of your sin,
or I will come to you suddenly
and fight against them with the sword of my mouth."
Revelation 2:14-16



The throne was deceptively alluring, and he who sat upon it appeared as powerful and majestic.  Yet there was something off; something not quite right about this king.  When he opened his mouth, lies sprang forth.  At the gesture of his hand, evil flourished.  A simple nod of his head and troops dispersed, carrying out his wicked plans.  Satan ruled in that dark place.

I live in a place not so different from where the church at Pergamum existed.  Jesus described the place these believers lived as, "a city where Satan has his throne." (v 13)  As such, it was filled with many temptations, lures and deceptive teachings.  While those believers stayed loyal to Christ in many ways, they fell into the Evil One's deceptive traps in others.  

I, too, must heed the warning given in this passage and stand firm against the enticing power of Satan in this dark world.

Sex

It's used to sell children's clothing, describe anything deemed as attractive and devalued to be a recreational activity experienced between friends.  It is also used as an accepted tool of influence for females and a favorite theme of thought and speech for males.   Even more disturbing, it is a common topic of conversation among youth as they negotiate the tricky terrain of intimate relations between same-gender partners.   There is no doubt that sex is a god in today's western culture.

As one who was bought at a price, my body is not my own.  Jesus paid for it in blood when He died on the cross, taking my punishment as my Savior. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)  As a result, the kind of sexual corruption witnessed throughout this age defiles the temple of God, which is my body.  When I adopt the same base attitudes toward sex accepted by this world, I tarnish His holy image.

Therefore, it is important that the only god I worship is the One True God.  I can honor Him by refusing to watch television shows depicting sexual sin, standing against the infusion of sensual clothing into my home, and esteeming purity for myself and my family.

Satan uses sex to entice me into his realm where God's temple is defiled, but I can stay loyal to Christ by keeping Him on the throne of my life.

Tolerance

One of the most irritating aspects of summer are those pesky mosquitoes who seem to enjoy making humans miserable.  Recently I discovered that, after multiple stings, it is possible to develop a tolerance to the effects of this insect's saliva: The immune system simply stops perceiving this foreign substance as harmful and instead accepts it as safe.

While I don't want to be stung enough times to test out this theory, I do know it is possible to build up a tolerance to sin and false teachings.  I live in a world where open-mindedness is revered and absolute truth is mocked.  It is all too easy to give in in order to get along.

Sometimes I find myself listening to a persuasive talk show host describe her new-age views and wonder if maybe it's not so dissimilar to what the Bible teachings.  Other times, it is the sins that appeal to my desire to be comfortable that suck me in.  From time to time I even find myself caving into popular teachings of self-sufficiency or working my way to heaven.

Satan deceives me into thinking tolerance of all beliefs and practices is vital to getting along, but I can stay loyal to the teachings of Christ by extending grace and love instead.

Concession

She thought she could have the best of both worlds by hanging out in the bars where her friends congregated while still abstaining from the alcohol that threatens to rule her life.  Instead of finding bliss, however, she only crashed and burned.

Just as an alcoholic cannot expect to surround himself with drinks and not succumb to it's lure, I cannot expect to stand firm in my faith when I place myself in a similar kind of jeopardy.  In the same way a Diabetic stays away from sweets to avoid the potentially deadly temptation, I must physically keep myself away from that which lures me from loyalty to Christ.

I can't expect to enjoy the sins I know from which I must repent and worship God at the same time.  Honoring God with my life means I hold His values as dear to my heart, valuing His opinion of my intentions as more important than my own pleasure.

Satan deceives me into thinking I can give into temptation and still worship God, but I can stay loyal to God's call for me to be pure by standing firm against Satan's lies. (James 4:7)


I live in Satan's realm, but that doesn't mean I must give into his teachings.  Instead, I can stay true to what I know of God's kingdom by refusing to place sex on an altar, holding an intolerant attitude toward worldly ways, and refusing to concede when it comes to sin.  In these ways, I will not be so easily enticed into the Evil One's schemes.

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stand firm against the lure of adopting a culture of sex in my home.

How do I tolerate false teachings in order to get along with others?

When am I compromising my convictions in order to please my sinful nature?          

No comments:

Post a Comment