The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Searching God

"But I have this complaint against you.
You are permitting that woman--
that Jezebel who calls herself a prophet--
to lead my servants astray . . .
I will strike her children dead.
Then all the churches will know that I am the one
who searches out the thoughts 
and intentions of every person.
And I will give to each of you whatever you deserve."
Revelation 2:20,23 NLT



From the outside it looked good.  The siding was in nice condition, the shingles intact and the windows lined the front of the house invitingly.  Once I stepped through the front door, though, my senses were accosted with all sorts of disgusting sights and smells.  The stench of mold and mildew stung my nostrils and I took in the scene of chaos: towers of paper created a meandering path through the entryway, cracks and scratches appeared on what could be seen of the wood floor and water marks marred the walls.  I didn't need to go any further to realize this home appeared nice from the outside but was a disaster inside.

It's easy to judge a house by it's exterior, but like the human condition, the inside it was really counts.  God does not look at my outward appearance like I am tempted to do.  Instead, He judges my heart. (1 Samuel 16:7)  Even though people may think I'm pretty good based on what they can see of me, God knows what makes me tick.

Bluffing

"God is good!  He is in control.  I'm blessed and highly favored!"  The words roll off her lips, comfortable and well-used.  The question is, however, was there any meaning behind them or were they just something to say?  

It's easy to create the appearance of godliness while there is nothing of substance to back it up; no relationship built after years of spending time with the Lord, no faith developed during times of trial, no discernment granted by the favor of God.  (2 Timothy 3:5)

I can't fake a relationship with the Lord but sometimes He is the only One who knows if my faith is real.

Fooling

"You know better than that!"  I've heard many-an-exasperated mother utter those words in frustration as they scold their defiant child.  Parents teach their sons and daughters how to live, but there is nothing so disheartening than to see them act like they don't know the right way to act.

As my heavenly Father, God has taught me how He wants me to live.  When I pretend I don't know any better, I'm only fooling myself.  Most of the time I simply don't want to give up my sinful nature so I keep doing what I know is wrong.  Instead, my desire to let go of my old ways and allow my new creation to rule will please God.  (2 Corinthians 5:17)

God knows when I'm feigning ignorance as an excuse to stay in sin.

Blaming

"It's not my fault!"  I always laugh when Han Solo repeats that line in the 1977 movie Star Wars, but it's not so funny when I pass the buck in my walk with the Lord.  There are times when I'm tempted to blame my behavior on others, sickness, or my state of mind. 

God, however, knows the real story.  He understands my weaknesses better than I do so when it comes to giving in to sin, it is better if I own up to my responsibility.  I will never grow in my relationship with the Lord if I'm not transparant before Him.  After all, He knows everything about me; my quirky ways, my stray thoughts and even what I'm going to say before a word forms on my tongue.  (Psalm 139:1-6)  I can't get away with casting blame when He knows the real deal!

God knows the truth about me so it's better if I don't play the blame game with Him.


Jesus was angry at the church of Thyatira for tolerating those who led the flock astray.  While many may be fooled by the actions of those bent on destruction, the Lord knows their heart.  Since He is a God who searches out the thoughts and intentions of all, it is better if I don't bluff my way through life, fooling myself and others with my feigned ignorance, or blaming when I should be owning up to my own sin.  In these ways my relationship with the Lord will grow as He looks at my heart with pleasure.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep in mind the searching nature of God.

When do I pretend I don't know any better?

How am I putting up a front of holiness when really my heart is dark?  


No comments:

Post a Comment