The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Watch Out

"Yet these people slander whatever they do not understand,
and the very things they do understand by instinct
--as irrational animals do--
will destroy them.
Woe to them!
They have taken the way of Cain;
they have rushed for profit into Balaam's error;
they have been destroyed in Korah's rebellion."
Jude 10-11



There are many voices coming from many directions giving me many different messages.  Some are from television ministries, others blare from the radio, while countless speak to me from the Internet.    I cannot ignore the fact that there are numerous influences which come up around me telling me how I should live.  How do I discern which is godly counsel?

 I must be careful to not believe the lies of godless men.  Instead, I need to know how to recognize those who are ready to lead me away from the path of righteousness.  Not only do they mock and curse what they don't understand, following what seems good to them, but they also walk on the same path as some with whom I may be familiar.

Cain

He was a simple farmer, working the soil and harvesting it's fruit.  When it came time to sacrifice, he didn't do exactly as God instructed but rather gave what he thought was good enough.  God was not pleased with his half-hearted attempt at obedience and warned him that, "Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you.  But you must subdue it and be its master." (Genesis 4:7)

God knew that Cain's heart was filled with revenge, jealousy and anger.  He perceived that Cain viewed himself as the victim; as the mistreated, unappreciated brother who tried so hard but just couldn't do anything right.  In reality, he was shown that sin was his real problem.  Instead of heeding the warning, though, he chose to continue in the destructive pattern and believe that he was getting the short end of the stick.  He must have thought, my spoiled little brother can't do anything wrong.  My life would be so much better without him to make me look bad.

Tragically, Cain killed his own brother, proving God right that sin would master him if he didn't rule over it.  Instead, he let sin have it's way in his life.

People in positions of authority or influence are especially vulnerable to falling into sin because there is so much at stake.  Consequently, it is important that I pay attention to the heart of those from whom I take advice.  If I sense a Cain-like attitude where revenge, jealousy and disobedience drive their actions, I better step back and reconsider their words.  Another red flag rises up if I notice an angry spirit when they are warned of their defiant ways.  A humble leader takes godly cautions to heart.

I can recognize the lies of godless men by the spirit of Cain that drives them.

Balaam

His words did not reflect the nature of his heart.  While he said, "Even if Balak gave me all the silver and gold in his palace, I could not do anything great or small to go beyond the command of the LORD my God," (Numbers 22:18) in his heart he was considering the bribe.  His greed made his words insincere and merely a disclosure of his price for compliance.

Many men and women are driven by greed.  Their words may sound good, but if I look closely I will see the real motivation of their actions: riches.  These leaders are blind to the spiritual reality and are unable to lead me closer to Christ.  Instead, taking their advice will only take me further from Him.  

Another aspect of Balaam's folly is that he didn't accept God at His Word.  Instead of taking His first answer to heart, Balaam expected God to amend His reply to better benefit him.  While it would have been nice to receive a generous gift, his willingness to even consider it as a possibility showed that he cared more about lining his own pocket than deliver the message exactly in the way God instructed.  A man who adapts the Word to fit his own needs is not a voice to which I need to listen.

I can recognize the lies of godless men by the spirit of Balaam that drives them.

Korah

It just wasn't fair.  Moses got all the glamorous jobs and received all the glory, but God had set aside the entire nation as His.  Why should one man stand above the rest?  Surely his time as God's chosen leader for Israel is over;  he's getting a bit too big for his britches and I'm just the one to take him down a few notches.

Korah was power hungry, arrogant and downright cheeky.  He knew he could do a better job than Moses in leading the people, and in so thinking put himself in the place of God.  As a result, things didn't turn out too well for Korah and his supporters:  They were swiftly swallowed up by the earth as an act of judgement against his insolence. (Numbers 16)

Power drives a lot of people to take on positions of influence where they use their authority to manipulate people into their own way of thinking.  Instead of driving followers closer the Christ, these godless men only serve their own purposes, suppressing the faith of many.  

Bullies can be recognized by their fruit:  selfish ambition, discord, envy and hatred can all be found in the heart of one who is following in the footsteps of Korah and seeing their service for God as a right, not a calling.

I can recognize the lies of godless men by the spirit of Korah that drives them.


There are many voices who tell me about God and His kingdom, but only those who come from someone wholeheartedly devoted to pleasing Him will ring true.   All others can be weeded out by the pride, selfishness, jealously, greed, lust for power and disregard of God's will.  These fruits of the flesh were all present in Cain, Balaam and Korah and can be held up as an example of who not to follow.  I must always watch out for those who may lead me astray so I can stay on the path God has for me.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can listen carefully and with discernment to the advice of those who claim to know God.

When do I take advice because it sounds good but I don't consider the source of the words?

How am I gullible when it comes to my faith?   

No comments:

Post a Comment