The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Victory!

"Everyone who believes that 
Jesus is the Christ is born of God,
and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well.
This is how we know that we love the children of God:
by loving God and carrying out his commands.
In fact,
this is love for God:
to keep his commands.
And his commands are not burdensome,
for everyone born of God overcomes the world.
This is the victory that has overcome the world,
even our faith.
Who is it that overcomes the world?
Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God."
1 John 5:1-5



The music swells as the winner takes his victory lap.  The crowds cheer as a feeling of accomplishment and pride sweeps over him.  "I did it!  All my hard work paid off!  I did it!"  And the screen fades black. . . 

We love a good story of triumph, especially if it is the weak overcoming a difficult obstacle in order to end up on top.  When I think of victory, I picture a knight on a white horse riding victorious before his conquered foes.  In God's kingdom, however, the victory spoken of in Scripture is not about elevating me, but placing me in my intended position as a child of the One True God.  Victory in Christ is different from victory in the world.

Love God

From time to time I like to think about what it would be like to win the Lottery or some other windfall of wealth.  I make a mental list of what I would buy, who I would help and how I could invest.  Mostly, though, I think about how I could please myself.  I have to admit, I am still lord of my own life in many ways and it's me I'm mostly concerned with satisfying.

As one who has been saved by the blood of Jesus from the shackles that used to bind me to my sinful, self-centered ways, I have victory over the world and it's pull.  That old woman, so to speak, has been put to death and in her place exists a new creation. (2 Corinthians 5:17) My new self in Christ desires to love God with all my heart, mind and strength.  

Unfortunately, even though my old tendencies have been nailed to the cross, they feel comfortable, like a worn pair of shoes.  It's easy for me to forget who I am in Christ and slip back into that old identity where I am most important.  In order to love God in the way I was intended to adore Him, then, I must constantly remind myself of my identity in Christ:  I am His precious child who was bought at a price and is loved beyond measure.  (1 John 3:1, 1 Corinthians 6:20)

My victory in Christ is that I have overcome the world and am empowered to love God as His child.

Love Children

Stepping into the foyer I heard her voice and cringed.  There was something about that woman that got under my skin.  Maybe it was her need to control every situation, or in the way she stood so close when talking to someone.  Whatever it was, this much was clear:  I tolerated this woman for the sake of peace but I wouldn't choose her as a friend.  

As a child of God through faith in Christ, however, my calling is much higher than mere tolerance.  Once again, my old sinful self rears it's ugly head when I am faced with a brother or sister in Christ who rubs me the wrong way.  

If I were to remember who I am: a once-hopeless sinner headed to eternal death until my Savior plucked me from my destructive path and placed me on the road that leads to life, then the love of God would compel me to actively show compassion to her.

I am a sinner saved by grace who is equally as irritating as this sister.  When I embrace who I am in Christ, my old sin nature fades away and my new creation in Christ rises to the challenge.  Love then rules.

My victory in Christ is that I have overcome the world so that I can love the children of God.

Love His Commands

The standards of the medical program were high: One mistake and a student would be ejected.  Sometimes the pressure got to the students and they would break a rule, flunk a test or fail a trial procedure in order to be released from their commitment.  The yoke of medical school is heavy.

Jesus said His yoke, however, is easy and His burden is light.  (Matthew 11:30)  When I fall back into my natural state of mind, however, I think I must follow rules, perform well and stick to the standards kind of like I'm that student in medical school.  When I remember who I am in Christ: a sinner who is incapable of meeting God's expectations, then I find myself desiring to do as God has commanded. (Romans 3:23,Philippians 2:13)

Instead of saying "it's okay" out of obligation when someone hurts me, I find God leading me toward a forgiving spirit that longs to reconcile broken relationships.  While my sinful self wants recognition for what I've done, God's love humbles me so I will desire His glory above my own.  When my sin nature tends to hoard money, possessions and time for myself, the love of God gives me a generous spirit.

My victory in Christ is that I have overcome the world so that I can love God's commands.


I view my role as conqueror as that of a self-elevated position where I am standing on a mountaintop, victorious for all to see.  In God's kingdom, however, my victory in Christ over the world is so that I can love God, His children and His commands.  In this way I have a victory that lifts God up high where He belongs.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember who I am in Christ so that I can be placed in my intended position as a child of God.

When do I love myself more than God?  

How do I love my sinful ways more than God's ways?   

No comments:

Post a Comment