The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

He Knows

"'I know the distress you are suffering
and your poverty (but you are rich).
I also know the slander against you
by those who call themselves Jews
and really are not,
but are a synagogue of Satan.
Do not be afraid of the things you are about to suffer.
The devil is about to have some of you thrown into prison
so you may be tested,
and you will experience suffering for ten days.
Remain faithful even to the point of death,
and I will give you the crown that is life itself.
The one who has an ear had better hear what
the Spirit says to the churches.
The one who conquers will in no way be harmed by the second death.'"
Revelation 2:9-11 NET



Her mocking words hurt me as they pierced my heart through my retreating back.  "Go ahead and cry, Cindy!  Give me a break!  You are so pathetic."  This so-called friend and neighbor was attacking me for not being who she wanted me to be.  She wanted a bosom buddy, a close friend whom she could share her life with, but I was not the one she envisioned in her fantasy.  As a result, when I did not live up to her expectations, she attacked.

Thankfully, Jesus is not like this woman who tried to make me into something I'm not.  Instead, He knows my heart.  He knows when I worship authentically and when I'm faking it.  He knows when I have poorness of spirit and when my weakness is only physical.  He also knows when I'm living as He created me to live and when I'm not being true to His plan.  Because of His Sovereign understanding of my heart, I can trust Him.

He's Got My Back

My husband served 24 years in the U.S. Army.  One thing a soldier knows how to do is protect his buddy's back.  When he was in harm's way, he had to depend upon his fellow soldiers to watch out for him.  In this way, his unit formed a tight bond as they learned to trust each other implicitly.

In a much more powerful and all-encompassing way, God has my back.  He can see before me to prepare me for the future and behind me to protect me from ambush;  He has me hemmed in!  (Psalm 139:5)  When I step out in faith out of obedience to His calling on my life, I can go in confidence, knowing that He's already gone before me preparing the way, and He's guarding me from unforeseen assaults.   

Since He's my perfect, powerful battle buddy, I can be sure He will equip me with everything I need to accomplish the mission into which He is leading me.  I can also walk in confidence in the midst of an attack, knowing that He will handle revenge.  (Romans 12:19)  In addition, I can keep my mind on the work at hand, knowing that He will take care of all the details.

Only God knows what I need so I can trust Him to protect me in the place He's called me to serve.

Suffering Brings Reward

The woman seemed evil.  She attacked her neighbor in any way possible, vowing to drive her and her family from the community.  There were police reports for trivial things, a constant barrage of hateful words as her children played outside, and threats of lawsuits.  In short, this woman harassed her neighbor.  Between these aggressive attacks, she simply stood on her back patio glaring into her target's kitchen.

This besieged woman called me one day in desperation   "Why has this woman targeted us?"  As I comforted her, the words of Jesus came to me when He said, "The world can't hate you, but it does hate me because I accuse it of doing evil." (John 7:7)  This follower of Christ is attacked because of the Light that is within her:  It is really Jesus who is being targeted, not her.

The good news is that there is great reward for standing firm in my faith when attacks like this come.  Jesus reminded His disciples that there is great blessing from God for those who are mocked, persecuted and lied about because of Him.  (Matthew 5:11-12)  My call is to live such a good life in the face of harassment that no reason can be found to accuse me of wrongdoing.  In this way, God will get glory out of it. (1 Peter 2:12)

Only God knows the reward that awaits those who stand for Him in the midst of suffering.

Hope of Eternity

Every week the onslaught continues.  No matter how much I work, the enemy continues to try to overpower my efforts.  I sometimes feel I will never win, so why keep trying?  Yes, my battle against the weeds, vines and other invaders in my yard seems hopeless.  Will my work ever be done?

Even though it seems my crusade to control unwanted growth in my backyard is impossible, I have seen some headway.  Sometimes, my battle against the rulers, authorities, powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil seems equally as hopeless.  (Ephesians 6:12)  Satan never rests and many times it looks like he's winning. 

The truth, however, tells a different story.  Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble.  Take heart!  I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)  I can rest in the fact that Jesus has already conquered the evil forces of this world.  All I must do is use the armor of God to stand firm until the end when His victory will be revealed.  Then, I will receive the award of eternity that awaits me.

Only God knows the outcome of this battle I'm fighting so I must trust Him implicitly.


Jesus knows my heart.  He knows my intentions and my efforts.  Even though this world is a cold, harsh place, I can trust my Battle Buddy to protect me, to issue me a reward for standing firm, and to give me the hope of eternity that comes with trusting Him.  Since He knows, I can go on in confidence.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stand firm with the confidence that God will protect me against the Enemy.

How do I back down in the face of attack because I forget the Power that goes before me and behind me?

When am I most vulnerable to giving in instead of standing firm?

No comments:

Post a Comment