The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Revelation Trepidation

"God blesses the one who reads the words
of this prophecy to the church,
and he blesses all who listen to its message
and obey what it says,
for the time is near."
Revelation 1:3 NLT




The men closed their Bibles as they finished another Wednesday morning study.  "Well, what now?" one man asked since they had concluded their look at Hebrews.
"How about Revelation?" someone suggested.
Groans of protest rose from the group.  "That's really deep, do you think we're ready for that?"
"It's so hard to understand, maybe we should choose something else."
"I never could comprehend all that imagery.  What's the point?  The end will come and then we will find out what God has in store for us!  Do we really need to know ahead of time?"

Can you relate?  I can.  There is much anxiety when it comes to reading the final book found in the Bible.  This revelation of John as revealed by Christ has long intimidated believers young and old.  The widely-held belief that I need a PhD in Hermeneutics or Theology to grasp the meaning found there keeps me away.  But there is blessing in studying this prophecy, if only I would trust God to lead me.


Read It

No time like the present, I thought to myself as I plunged forward into the unknown.  I had volunteered to lead a women's Bible study with a small group of ladies in our neighborhood.  Never having taught adults before, I was a bit afraid and intimidated.  Instead of letting my fears stop me, though, I stepped out in faith, trusting that God would give me understanding as I prepared to teach through a portion of the Old Testament.  

Sure enough, as I dedicated myself to obeying God's calling, He gave me insight into His Word, just as Jesus did for His disciples before His ascension.  (Luke 24:45)  When I dive into His Word, trusting Him to open my eyes to the Truth found there, He is always found faithful.  (Psalm 119:18, 1 Corinthians 2:13-14)

I will find blessing from studying Revelation when I trust God enough to simply commit myself to reading it.

Heed it

"Stop!"  the mother warned her two-year-old daughter who was running down the sidewalk and heading toward the road.  It was almost as if I could see the struggle going on within the child:  Part of her knew she should obey while the other part relished defiance.  She wanted to heed her mother's warning but her sinful nature pushed her toward the mischievous.

Thankfully, obedience won out in the case of the toddler and her mom, but that does not always happen with me.  I love to read God's Word and am growing fond of Revelation as God provides insight, but it does me no good if I don't heed the warnings and exhortations found there. (James 1:222 Timothy 3:16)

God's Word is meant to change me, and this record of John's revelation is no different.  When I read, then, it is to be with an open mind, pliable heart, and willing spirit, ready to receive whatever message God will send to stretch me, prepare me and transform me into the image of Christ.  

I will find blessing from studying Revelation when I don't merely read it, but pay attention to the warnings found within.

Don't Leave it

Aaron Burr, 18th-19th Century politician and adventure, is credited with what I like to call the procrastinator's creed:  "Never do today what you can put off 'til tomorrow."  While this may give, as he claimed, a clearer understanding of what is to be done, the same philosophy cannot be taken with the warnings found in Revelation.  I have less time than I may think.

I tend to carry the attitude that I can wait until the end times come and see what God has in store for me instead of reading about it ahead of time.  This makes sense to my own understanding, but knowing that God made the point of including these exhortations in His Word means there is something there I need to know.  

Part of trusting God is to understand His Sovereignty and how much higher His ways are from mine. (Isaiah 55:8)  I can't begin to think I can decide which parts of Scripture are meant for me and which are not.  Instead, I would be considered wise if I take His Word as a whole as vital to my journey.  

I will find blessing from studying Revelation when I realize the importance of learning the meaning found there.


As intimidating as is John's revelation found in God's Word, I can let my fear go when I realize the blessing found there.  Instead of letting it threaten me, I can plunge forward in faith to read it, taking it's messages to heart, and trusting in it's relevance to my life.  Now I can let go of my Revelation trepidation!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can step forward to continue studying Revelation as a show of faith in the God who gives wisdom. (James 1:5)

How do I let my fear and doubt hold me back from the blessing found in studying and heeding the words of Revelation?

When do I think I need to rely on my own intellect to study God's Word? 

No comments:

Post a Comment