The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

No Greater Joy

"It gave me great joy when some believers came and testified about your faithfulness to the truth,
telling how you continue to walk in it.
I have no greater joy than to hear
that my children are walking in the truth."
3 John 3-4



The varied song of a mockingbird.
A brightly colored sunset lighting up the morning sky.
The first glimpse of a newly born child.
Dew drops glimmering as the sun reveals their presence on a velvety rose petal.
A good book, a rocking chair and a dry porch on a rainy day.

These are some of the things that bring me joy.  I'm sure John enjoyed similar experiences, but to him, there was nothing more joyous than when he saw how those he mentored had put the Word of God into action.  

This delight in witnessing obedience in those we love reflects the heart of our Father.  Why does obedience bring such joy?

Value God

I didn't used to value my body when I was younger.  Instead, I took it for granted, using it to accomplish my heart's desire and assuming it would always be ready to go.  As I get older and have experienced some of the wearing out that comes with age, I appreciate how fragile the human body is.  I've grown to understand that I can't rely on it as an infallible machine but that it needs tender loving care.  Consequently, I take my physical condition a bit more seriously, cherishing the good health God has blessed me with.

In the same way that I didn't truly appreciate the health I'd been given, I also don't always value God enough to take Him and His Word seriously.  As I grow closer to Him, I am learning that every phrase that is recorded in the Bible was written for a purpose.  If it's there, it is important and I should pay attention, letting it change me.  

Therefore, when I forgive as I have been forgiven, or return wrath with a gentle word, or pray for those who are out to get me, my Father rejoices.  He loves to see me treasure His Word enough to do what He says.

Obedience brings joy because it reveals what is important to me.

Love God

I stood before the group of 50 Middle School students.  Trying hard not to revert to those insecure times, I told myself to smile and look approachable.  Some of the children responded in kind, while others talked and snickered, whispering secrets behind their hands.  Suddenly a voice broke through the din and garnered the students' attention.  "Children, this is my wife, Mrs. Boose.  While she is here, I expect you to show her respect.  If she has a problem with anyone, you will answer to me."

I had never felt more loved than when my husband stood up for me like that.  He didn't just say he loved me, but he showed it by coming to my rescue.  In a similar way, I can say I love God all I want, but only obedience to His commands are the evidence of that devotion.

I can say I love God, but if I don't love others, that profession is insincere.  I can make a pronouncement from the rooftops of my love for my Lord, but if I constantly find myself getting into arguments with others, that declaration is anything but genuine.  I can plaster my car with bumper stickers that proclaim my love for my Savior, but if I fail to help a brother or sister in need I must question the validity of that love.

Obedience brings joy because it is the tangible evidence of my love for God.

Trust God

"Oh yeah.  I can do that!"  I heard the arrogant young man proclaim as he watched his friends dive from the top of the bungee jump platform.  The attendants started to hook him up to the harness when the once cocky fellow turned into a trembling pile of nerves.  "Oh, I'll do it another time.  Ummm. . . I'm not ready to take the plunge."

It's one thing to say I trust God, and another thing entirely to have enough faith to actually do what He says.  I'm kind of like the kid talking big until it came time to jump when I declare my faith in God but fail to follow through.

I can say I believe God can move mountains, but it won't mean a thing if I worry about tomorrow.  I can say God is my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble, but my words will fall flat if I spend my life trying to fix my own problems.  I can say God is my all in all, but if I spend more time pursuing worldly success than I do in learning about Him, then I don't trust Him as much as I think.

Obedience brings joy because it is the true test of my faith in God.


There are many things that bring a smile to my face, but nothing more readily than when I see my daughters taking my advice.  On a grander scale, my obedience also pleases God because it shows I value, love and trust Him.  To Him, there is no greater joy than my submission to His Word.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can show how much I love God instead of just saying it.

When do I let other things, people or pursuits move up the value scale above the Lord?

How do I fail to trust God in my actions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment