The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Love is Action

"We know what real love is
because Jesus gave up his life for us.
So we also ought to give up our lives
 for our brothers and sisters.
If someone has enough money to live well
and sees a brother or sister in need
but shows no compassion--
how can God's love be in that person?
Dear children,
let's not merely say that we love each other;
let us show the truth by our actions.
Our actions will show that we belong to the truth,
so we will be confident when we stand before God.
Even if we feel guilty,
God is greater than our feelings,
and he knows everything."
1 John 3:16-20


The chair sits there in the corner of the room.  I love the look of it; the curvature of the arm rests, the beautiful lacquer glowing in the warmth of the lamp light, the cushion inviting me to sit.  It seems too nice to actually use.  I extol it's virtues, pointing it out to all who enter our home, but I can't bring myself to sit in it.  It seems to defeat the purpose of the chair.

The love of God is kind of like that chair.  I can talk about how powerful His love is and how it can melt the heart of the hardest criminal.  I can admire it's beauty and extol it's virtues, but it means nothing unless I actually let it flow from me.  Love is an action, not merely a word.  If I never put it to use, no one will get to encounter love as it was meant to be experienced.

Lay Down Life

First came the words of scorn, the looks of disdain, the sneer of the lip.  Soon these passive forms of mistreatment were replaced with the more active variety: A crown of thorns shoved on His head, a brutal beating meant to humiliate as well as wound, an agonizing walk through a crowd of the curious and the hateful, topped off by the unthinkable torture of being nailed to a cross.

Jesus was not forced to submit Himself to such treatment.  As the Creator of all things, He could have stopped this horrible progression at any time.  Why did He not?  Love.  Jesus demonstrated the Father's love by giving His life for those who needed the life this sacrifice made possible even though we didn't yet recognize it.  (John 15:13, Romans 5:8)

Since I have been saved by this great act of love, it is my heritage to continue in this pattern of the laying down of my life.  No longer are my interests at the forefront of my attention.  As I move closer in relationship to God, He gives me the desire to sacrifice my own safety to safeguard that of another.  (Philippians 2:13)

As Jesus showed His love for me by giving His life, I can love others by sacrificing my will for His.

Give

I live in a world where the motto is, "Every man for himself."  I see it at the grocery store where shoppers jockey for position in the fastest checkout line with nary a thought to anyone else.  This mindset also shows up when a hurricane is fast approaching and residents rush to gather up supplies without thinking about how anyone else will manage.  The survival of the fittest mentality is also seen in the way money is spent when an inheritance or a pay raise is received;  most of the time it's all about filling my own needs and wants.

Love, however, changes the playing field.  Instead of thinking only of myself, love impels me to fill the needs of those around me.  While I used to hoard the blessings God generously gives to me, love urges me to share.  When it used to be so natural for me to plan for my own future, love compels me to leave tomorrow up to my Father as I give away my nest egg.

As Jesus emptied Himself in order to give me the richness of life, so I can love others by giving generously.  (2 Corinthians 8:8-9)

Hearts at Rest

"But I don't want to do that!"  When working with children, this is a refrain that is often heard.  Youngsters seem to think, in their immaturity, that they only need do what feels good to them.  If they're not feeling it, they just don't want to do it.  Maturity comes when the child accepts the fact that life is full of responsibilities, obligations and duties that must be done regardless of how they feel about it.

As much time as has passed since I could call myself a child, I still sometimes hold onto this immature way of thinking, thanks to my sin nature.  It is all too easy for me to let my feelings determine what I do and don't do.

When I don't feel like loving the mean, old lady who seems to take great pleasure in harassing those she doesn't life, I can go with my feelings or I can choose the compassion of Christ that courses through my veins.

When guilt overwhelms me, giving me the feeling of unworthiness, I can go with my feelings or I can choose to remember that I belong to the family of God through faith in Christ Jesus.  No one, in and of themselves, is worthy apart from Christ. (Romans 3:10, 20, Ephesians 2:8)

When my anger at those who hurt me threatens to overwhelm my heart, I can go with my feelings or I can choose to extend the forgiveness that has been so generously given to me. (Ephesians 4:32)

As Jesus made me right with God, delivering me from my sinful heart, I can now choose to love despite the way I feel.

Love is not merely a word, but an action based on what I know to be true.  If I really believe what I read in God's Word, I will lay down my life, give without limits, and let my heart be at rest as I allow God's Spirit to drive my actions.  In these ways I will demonstrate the love of God that flows through me.

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stop talking about love and let God love others through me.

How do I turn inward instead of letting God's love loose?

When do I let my feelings hold me back?

No comments:

Post a Comment