The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Do Not Love the World

"Do not love the world
or anything in the world.
If anyone loves the world,
love for the Father is not in them.
For everything in the world--
the lust of the flesh, 
the lust of the eyes,
and the pride of life--
comes not from the Father but from the world.
the world and its desires pass away,
but whoever does the will of God lives forever."
1 John 2:15-17



I lived with my husband and children in Germany for a period of about three years.  While there I enjoyed the scenery, met some friendly people and learned about the local history.  I never, however, felt quite at home there.  The customs were foreign to me, the language felt funny on my tongue, and even the signs posted along the roads made me homesick.  As nice as it was to live overseas, I looked forward to the day when we would step back onto American soil.

In a similar way I now live in a foreign land.  I was made for God and I belong in His kingdom.  For a time, though, He has placed me in this strange place where the customs run counter to my Father's, the words that are commonly used sting my ears, and even the signs posted to guide me down the road of life give me a longing for God's ways.  While I do live here in the world, it is my calling to love those who live here, but guard against becoming too comfortable in this alien location.

Cravings

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"  This is a common question to ask children and the answer is usually based on what they like at the time.  For instance, my neighbor's daughter loves animals so she wants to be a veterinarian.  Since I loved working with the cows, chickens, ducks, dogs and cats on our farm growing up, I also shared this same dream.  I also, however, wanted to be an archaeologist because I enjoyed history and the outdoors or a musician since I felt so at home in the band room.  

It is great to dream about my future, but only God knows the plan He has for my life.  Only He knows why He placed me on this earth, in this specific time and in this particular place.  If I want to keep from merely doing what feels good, what seems right, or what fits into my own vision for my life, then I can't let my feelings and desires drive my decisions.  

My decision-making process should look different than it does for those who don't have the benefit of a heavenly Father to look after them.  Instead of making a list of pros and cons to help me decide where I should go next, I can seek out the counsel of the Lord who will order my footsteps as I desire His will for my life. (Psalm 119:133, Psalm 37:23)

While I may have done things that made myself happy and fulfilled before I knew Jesus, now I have been given a deep desire to do that which pleases God.  (Philippians 2:13)

When I was still lord of my own life I let my feelings lead me, but now that Jesus is my Lord I know my heart cannot be trusted to guide me down the path that leads to life.  (Jeremiah 17:9)

While here in this world, I must guard against giving in to the cravings of my sinful nature.

Lust

It starts with a single look.  That glance awakens a desire within.  If I pay attention to that quickening of my heart it won't be long before I will want to make contact with the object of my affections.  Once I make contact, I am at risk of acting on these longings and may soon find myself buying the forbidden fruit; the dress I will never wear, the gadget I can't afford, or the toy that will consume my time.  

There is nothing wrong with shopping, or eating, exercising, sex or drinking for the matter.  All of these activities are part of life.  An issue arises, however, when I lust after what I know will consume me, what will take the place of God in my life, or that which is outside of His teachings.  It could be material items, the affections of a man who is not my husband, or an activity that I know will lead me down a path on which I should never travel.  Whatever the source, the problem is always the same:  Lust.

Sin starts with desire.  If I feed my longings they become stronger and more powerful.  Soon, I can't deny them and before long, the temptation to succumb is too great.  Sin, then, is born.  If I let this sin grow, I will find myself on the path that leads to death.  (James 1:14-15)

Discontent, then, can easily lead to sin.  When I am not happy with what God has given to me, whether it be my husband, my home, my occupation, or my ministry, I will want more.  Once I start wanting more than what God has blessed me with, I will never be satisfied and will soon begin to blend into the rest of the world as I go after what my passions crave. 

While here in this world, I must guard against the lust of my wandering, restless eye.

Pride

He only entered law school because he knew it would bring in lots of money.  His plan was to become a well-known tort attorney who would prey on the misfortunes of successful companies, bleeding them dry as he filed class-action lawsuits against them.  He figured he could earn millions within a few years.  He didn't really want to help people or protect their rights, although that might end up being a secondary benefit.  Instead, his decisions were based solely on his desire for status, wealth and power.

While I don't know anyone personally who would fit the above profile, I have to admit that my flesh truly desires to do that which will make me look good, will benefit me financially and will give me some clout.  I naturally want people to think well of me and can find myself catering to the whim of another so that they will like me.  

I also see how the world measures success by the amount of money one has in the bank and I find myself getting sucked into that way of thinking.  The harder I try to build my portfolio, however, the more brick walls I run into as God funnels my attentions back toward His kingdom where hurting people need some financial help now.

It is also easy for me to try to prove myself to others by listing off all the worthwhile things I do so I don't seem like such a loser.  The more I brag, however, the less attention I am giving to God as my true source of affirmation.

While here in this world, I must guard against the temptation to run after worldly success.


I live here in this foreign land until Jesus returns or God calls me to my true home; heaven.  While here, it is not God's desire that I fall into the pattern of this world, giving in to my sinful cravings, lusting after that which He has not given to me, or finding my sense of worth in what I do, how much I own or in my title or position.  Instead, I am called to live in this world as one with a mission who can't wait to get back home.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can save my love for my Father.

How do I cheat on my Father by lending my affections to worldly cravings?

When am I most at risk of running after success?

      

No comments:

Post a Comment