The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Living for God


"The end of all things is near.
Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.
Above all, love each other deeply,
because love covers over a multitude of sins.
Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others,
as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms.
If anyone speaks,
they should do so as one who speaks
 the very words of God.
If anyone serves,
they should do so with the strength God provides,
so that in all things God may be praised
 through Jesus Christ.
To him be the glory and the power
for ever and ever.  Amen."
1 Peter 4:7-11


  


The end has been predicted on billboards, in newspapers and on the Internet.  The date when the world will cease to exist has been proclaimed boldly, much to the dismay of those who believe then discover disappointment when the day comes and goes without incident.  Many have been led away from the Truth by those who claim to be sent by God.  Wars run rampant, tyrants rattle their sabers, bullies in position of power make threats.  Almost every day there is news of another catastrophe taking lives and destroying property: earthquakes, famines, storms, tornadoes.  There is no doubt we have entered into the end times. (Matthew 24:4-8)

As one who knows the Truth and is spurred on by the hope of heaven, how should I then live?  It is not a time to lose focus, but to continue to live as one with a purpose: To live for God.


Clear-minded


"Stay calm."  This command is given many times by rescue personnel because it is difficult to make a sound decision when in a state of panic.  Adrenaline surges, making the mind muddled and confused.

As I see the world crumbling around me, it is easy to enter into a similar state of alarm.  Gay marriage is being legalized at an astounding rate.  Abortion is common place.  Little girls dress in provocative clothing.  Sex is a common topic on elementary playgrounds.  God's name is freely used to curse but otherwise banned from public use.  I want to do something to stop the madness.  I don't care what it is, I just want to take action!

This is when it's even more important for me to keep my cool, remember Who is in charge, and remind myself of my purpose.  When I recall that God is not alarmed or surprised by today's sudden turn of events and that He has a perfect plan, I can focus on discerning all the good He is bringing about throughout the ugly.  Then I can seek to make His name known in whatever way possible.

Nothing, however, is more important than to stay connected to the Source of all good things through prayer.  James reminds us that our prayers are powerful and effective.  A prayer offered in faith can heal the sick, stop the rain, or end a drought.  (James 5:16-18)  My prayers  show the state of my heart, the strength of my faith and the scope of my vision.  It is my desire to continue to believe in the good plan God has for us all and pray for Him to show His mighty hand so all will know that He is the Lord our God!

To live for God in the end times, I must become a prayer warrior.

Love Deeply

The man lay in pain in the middle of the road as commuters rushed past him on their way to work or school.  No one seemed to care of his suffering, leaving him to find his own fate as if he were nothing more than a turtle or a rabbit who had wandered into traffic.  There is no doubt that the love of most has grown cold in this day and age. (Matthew 24:12-13)

Just as it takes no effort to let a fire go out, it is similarly as natural for the love of God that is growing inside of me to be extinguished.  All it takes is for me to take up my own case, to turn inward as I guard my own interests, and harden my heart from any further hurt.  Suddenly I have morphed into a cold, detached human who cares not for another's plight but is only determined to look out for myself.

While I am inclined to grow cold, staying close to my loving Father changes my nature.  His compassion, grace and mercy flowing into my life compels me to love as He loves; looking past the sin and peering into the heart of a wounded child.  This endless spring of love spills over into the lives of others as it drives me toward a position of servanthood.  This divine nourishment is absorbed into my soul giving me a healthy exuberance for those who lay broken on the road of life.

To live for God in the end times, I must love deeply.

Use Gifts

I remember one Christmas when I made advent chains that were meant to be used to help draw the recipient's heart closer to God as the day approached.  I have to admit my frustration, however, when I discovered that some of my family members were simply using the gift as a decoration, hanging it where it could be seen but not reading the scriptures and devotional thoughts printed on each link.  It seemed to defeat the purpose of the gift.

In a similar way, I have been given gifts by God with the intention that I use them to build up the church and glorify Him.  How many times, however, do I let my gifts atrophy or only look at them as if they were some kind of adornment for my own pleasure or to bring admiration from others?

Instead, I can use the grace God has freely distributed in the way it was intended, making myself a good steward.  Whether it be to encourage, teach, serve, give, show mercy, prophecy, heal, discern or lead; using what God has given to me will bring glory to Him and help to build up the body of Christ.  

To live for God in the end times, I must use the gifts He has given to me.



Every day we are one day closer to the second coming of Christ.  As we go through these birth pains of the end, it is easy to get discouraged.  Instead, I must stay focused on my mission and stay rooted in prayer, make it my calling to let God's love run deeply and freely out to others, and to not waste what God has given but prove myself a good steward of His gifts as I use them as they were intended to be used.  In these ways I will be living for God in the end times.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I not get distracted by all the evil around me, but stay focused on my purpose.

How has God's love grown cold in my heart?

When do I use the gifts God has given to me?


No comments:

Post a Comment