The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Nicolaitans

"Yet this you do have,
that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans,
which I also hate.
He who has an ear,
let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
To him who overcomes,
I will grant to eat of the tree of life
which is in the Paradise of God."
Revelation 2:6-7 NASB



Many a summer day was spent walking along our three rail fence.  I would have competitions with my friends, my sister; anyone who was game.  We would vie for our own version of the Guinness World record, wanting to determine who could walk the furthest along the top 2-inch rail without falling.  My friend, Diane Brown, was able to make it past the challenges of the most wobbly board and the overhanging bushes, thus setting a neighborhood record; quite a legendary feat!

While a fence might provide amusement for a child, it is not a good place on which to sit as a believer.  The Nicolaitans were just such a group who convinced themselves and their followers that God was not at all concerned with their own holiness and they could indulge in sinful pleasures if they were so inclined.  As a result, they accepted God's gift of salvation but did not live for Him, straddling the line between God's kingdom and the world.  

There are many similarities between this heretical group and the thinking of modern day believers.  Therefore, I must be careful to guard against this dangerous mindset.

Don't Compromise

"God only cares about your well-being.  As long as you are happy, He is pleased."
"Do you think God wants you to live in poverty?  No!  He wants the best for you!"
"As long as you can dream it, God can make it happen!"
"Keep a positive attitude and work hard.  God helps those who help themselves."
"We are sinners and God doesn't expect us to turn away from that which comes naturally to us."

These are examples of beliefs that are being promoted by those professing a faith in Christ Jesus.  Unfortunately, they are sadly opposed to the teachings of Jesus Christ.  Instead of glorifying God, they place me in the highest place, making my wants, needs and desires as most important.  While God clearly teaches in His Word that I am made for Him, these heresies promote the idea that God is here for my benefit. (Colossians 1:16-17, Jeremiah 29:11-13)

Another common thread in these false teachings that seem to thrive in this culture is that I have the power within myself to accomplish the dreams I've been given.  This humanistic, culturally prevalent line of reasoning undermines one of the most important teachings of God's Word:  I am inherently sinful and thus nothing good can come from me apart from God.  (John 15:5-8, Romans 7:15-19)

Perhaps the most damaging mindset today is the lackadaisical attitude toward sin.  It is almost as if I am encouraged to become friends with sin because I am saved by grace.  Unfortunately, this type of cheap grace has been around for awhile because Paul addressed that in his letter to the Romans.  (Romans 5:20-6:4)  Anyone who lives in sin is not living as a child of God.  (1 John 3:7-10)  I am known by my fruit and all who observe my life know who I follow by the fruit I produce.  (Galatians 5:19-23)

In order to keep from unintentionally offending Jesus I must stand strong against false teachings that thrive in the ignorance of the Truth.

Take Hold of Holiness

We only brought them out on special occasions.  Every Thanksgiving, my mother and grandmother would polish the silver, getting it ready for the feast that was to come.  All of the other days of the year, we used the stainless steel, everyday utensils.  Holidays, however, were different.  Cloth napkins made an appearance from the linen closet, replacing ordinary paper ones.  Fine china took the place of our regular dishes, and delicate, fancy glasses were used instead of the common cups.

In order to keep this tableware nice, my mother stored the flatware in a special case and the rest of the items were kept away in the top of a cupboard.  Washing was done with care in order to avoid chips or scratches.  There was no doubt that these special dishes were treated with care.

In the same way, I am set aside for God's special business.  I am not created to be used for common, everyday work.  Instead, God has a unique and one-of-a-kind plan that He wants for me to carry out.  As a holy, chosen vessel, then, I must treat myself with great care.  This is not to say I should pamper myself and elevate my status, but take caution to protect myself from contamination from worldly values, sinful mindsets and unnecessary temptation.  

When I understand my purpose, I will take hold of holiness as an important pursuit.  While I cannot be perfect in my own right, I can see the importance in keeping myself pure from the sin that so easily entangles me and holds me back from being used as a willing vessel.  (Hebrews 12:1, 2 Corinthians 4:7)  In order to truly honor Him with my life, then, I must see the value in keeping myself pure for His sake.

In order to keep myself from unintentionally offending Jesus, I would do well to understand the significance of holiness.

Hate Sin

She is so comfortable to be around.  I understand her like no one else and I feel at ease whenever I'm with her.  In fact, there are times when I don't realize she's there until it's too late.  

While the old, sinful nature fits me like a well-worn pair of jeans, it is not who God has saved me to be.  Thanks to my faith in Jesus Christ, I am a new creation!  Even though the old me feels comfortable, I have been renewed.  What used to be important to me no longer holds it's power.  

Therefore, it is wise for me to take on the attitude of God when it comes to sin.  Sin is what separates me from Him and required the death of the perfect Lamb of God in order to cleanse me from it.  Sin is not my friend.  Unfortunately, I sometimes act like I'm so at ease with some sins like lust, doubt, fear and jealousy.  (Colossians 3:5-6, Galatians 5:19-21)  I practically welcome it into my life as a bosom buddy.  

Instead, if I were to treat sin as my enemy, praying for a spirit of repulsion when I sense a thought, deed or word that goes against God's best, I would find mercy as I lay it open before Him, allowing Him to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. (Proverbs 28:13, 1 John 1:9)

In order to keep from unintentionally offending Jesus, I must hate sin, not accepting it as part of my life but developing a willingness to turn from it as soon as God convicts me.


There are many false teachings that can keep me from drawing close in my relationship with God.  To guard against the tendency to take on these attitudes as my own, I must not compromise my faith but take hold of holiness, dropping my friendly attitude toward sin and replacing it with a hate.  In these ways I will avoid becoming like the Nicolaitans of old, who claimed to follow Jesus but lived as if their life were their own.  (1 Corinthians 6:20)


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stand strong in my faith in Jesus Christ.

How do I compromise my beliefs to keep from making a scene or drawing attention to myself?

When am I most comfortable with sin?   

No comments:

Post a Comment