The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Shared Heritage

"I, John, your brother
and the one who shares with you
in the persecution,
kingdom,
and endurance that are in Jesus,
was on the island called Patmos
because of the word of God
and the testimony about Jesus."
Revelation 1:9



Sometimes it's good to know I'm not alone.  When I struggle with pain, I can think of my sister who patiently suffers through chronic pain and experience some comfort.  If I get drawn into this world, my mind can dwell on those who have gone on to glory and are enjoying their reward.  For the times that I am mistreated, I think of those who are under the sword for the cause of Christ yet stand firm.  We are not in this alone.

As believers, we are part of a greater family.  We are kin through faith in Christ and have much in common.  Not only do we share in our hope, but there are certain experiences and qualities which are familiar to all followers of Christ.  This is our inheritance.

Suffering

The pain was too great for one to bear alone.  In agony, she cried out, taking the risk of rejection because the need was so serious.  What hope did she have?  Mercifully, a sister heeded the call and came alongside, encouraging, exhorting and reminding her of the truth.  The burden lightened and her faith returned as she could see beyond herself.

We've all been at the end of our rope at one time or another.  When the time of suffering, difficulty or trial comes, God did not create us to carry the load alone.  Even though our faith in His ability to strengthen and sustain is vital, He designed us to live in tandem with others.  It is God's desire that we come alongside of each other during periods of hardship as well as during joyous times.  (Romans 12:15)

The apostle Paul endured many difficult times during his years of ministry.  Though he gave all the credit to the Lord and knew it was the strength of Christ that kept him going, he encouraged members of the family of God to share in his troubles.  (Philippians 4:14)  Likewise, I should never expect to go it alone.

All members of God's family through faith in Christ share in the suffering of one another.

Kingdom

The thought of it swept him away.  He labored day and night to reach his goal, desiring nothing more than to attain the position of power and glory he had so long craved.  He went to church each Sunday, praising God with his lips but his heart was not in it.  (Isaiah 19:13)  The Word of God fell on deaf ears and the thought of leaving this world grieved him.  This man valued the world more than he did God's kingdom.  (Matthew 6:21,33)

There is something greater than can be found in this world for every believer.  If I settle for following my fleshly desires, sinking back into my old pattern of living, the world will seem to hold infinite value.  If, however, I let go of my old ways and desires, plunging myself into the cleansing living waters that are offered by faith in Christ, I will enter into a new way where I desire nothing more than to please God.  (Philippians 2:12-13)

Jim Elliot, missionary killed by native people in Ecuador for the cause of Christ, wrote in his journal some 7 years before his death that, "One of the great blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth."  He then went on to write the well known phrase, "He is no fool to give what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."   

Jim Elliot understood that the value of the kingdom of Jesus Christ is so much greater than anything found here on earth; even his very life.  In the same way, all believers can share this same upside-down-from-the-world way of looking at things.  To those outside the kingdom, an unexpected, unborn child is disposable, to a kingdom-dweller it is an intentional, chosen life.  

To those in the world, the janitor who faithfully cleans the floors is to be looked down upon, but to those who uphold kingdom values he is a prince.  

For worldly types, a hospital stay is a great inconvenience and period of fear, but to anyone who is in the kingdom it is an appointed time of spiritual growth and faith building.

All members of God's family through faith in Christ share a common, kingdom-perspective.

Patient Endurance

Runners share a kind of strange obsession.  There is an addiction that occurs for those who run on a regular basis and it is nearly impossible to deny.  That feeling of euphoria that comes to those who hit the pavement is what keeps them going, mile after mile.  Studies show the release of endorphin that gives runners that "high," can be just as addictive as drugs.

While this phenomena may explain why exercise fanatics keep such a regular, consistent regimen, it will not help when it comes to enduring the difficulties of life.  Time keeps ticking on and the trials and tragedies keep coming my way.  There is no release of pain-relieving endorphins like what occurs in long-distance running, so how can I keep trudging along?

As a follower of Christ, I share in His sufferings, of that I am familiar.  The good news is that I also will share in His glory!  ( 1 Peter 4:13, Romans 8:17)  Knowing I have such a privilege to look forward to can give me the strength and will to carry on.

When I feel like giving up, then, I can remember my shared inheritance with Christ.  Nothing here can compare to the goodness I will experience in eternity.  Therefore, I can take heart when facing the darkness and agony of this world:  my anguish is not in vain!

All members of God's family through faith in Jesus Christ share the hope of glory to come.


Even though I may sometimes feel alone, as a member of the family of God I am not by myself.  I can take heart with the understanding of the truth that I share suffering, the value of this kingdom and the ability to patiently endure with all other followers of Christ.  This is our common heritage!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember my place in God's kingdom.

When do I behave like a lone ranger?

How am I at risk of giving up hope?       

No comments:

Post a Comment