The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Wake Up!

"To the angel of the church in Sardis write:
These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits
of God and the seven stars.
I know your deeds;
you have a reputation of being alive,
but you are dead.
Wake up!
Strengthen what remains and is about to die,
for I have found your deeds unfinished
in the sight of my God.
Remember, therefore,
what you have received and heard;
hold it fast, and repent.
But if you do not wake up,
I will come like a thief,
and you will not know at what time I will come to you."
Revelation 3:1-3



She had a reputation for being confident and assured.  People went to her for advice because she always seemed so certain, quick to point others in the way she thought they should go.  She owned her own business and dabbled in local politics.  When most people in the small town thought of someone who had it all together, they thought of this woman.

In reality, her heart quaked at the thought of being alone and she constantly second-guessed her decisions.  Her opinion of herself was low and most would be surprised to find out she didn't like herself all that much.

In the same way that my friend's reputation before mankind was an illusion, so I must ask myself if what others see in me is the same as what God perceives in my heart.  It is easy to be busy doing what I think I should do and act in the way I distinguish as how a faithful, godly person should act, but what is the reality as God sees and judges?

Thankfully, there are some steps that will bring me back to completion in God's sight.

Remember

"I forgot!"  It has been a common excuse used by our daughters when disobeying.  While I found this to be exasperating as the girls were growing up since I knew they possessed the potential for a higher level of responsibility, I had to admit that I exercise the same defense when it comes to following Jesus.

Many times I know the teachings of Jesus since I study them on a daily basis, but I fail to apply them to my own life.  As a result, I lash out at my loved ones in anger when I am disappointed instead of taking the warning of Psalm 37:8 to heart.  Or I practice "keepin' it real" with my friends but I leave out the part about doing it with love. (Ephesians 4:15)  Or I build up resentment toward those who hurt me and are bent on my destruction while Jesus wants me to let it go and lift those adversaries up in prayer.  (Matthew 6:14, Matthew 5:44)

Other times I live so much in the flesh that I let my natural reaction serve as my guide instead of going after the Truth.  Then I find myself adhering to a religion instead of following my Good Shepherd, trying to shape myself into who I think I should be instead of letting the power of God do the transforming work.  (2 Timothy 3:5, John 10:14, Romans 12:2)

In order for God to find my heart complete, it is important that I remember what He has taught me.

Obey

My friend uses a catchy motto to remind herself who she was in Christ.  It goes something like this:  "I'm a human being, not a human doing."  In the same way that Jesus revered Mary's desire to spend time with Him as the better choice over her sister Martha's focus on finishing all the preparations (Luke 10:38-42), He looks for a heart that is compliant and ready to follow Him. (Luke 4:18-22)

While my heart is what is important to God, not my deeds, it is my willingness to do as He says that reveals the inclination of my heart.  (1 Samuel 15:22)  Oswald Chambers makes this distinction in My Utmost for His Highest devotional.  He writes, "We count as service what we do in the way of Christian work; Jesus Christ calls service what we are to Him, not what we do for Him."

I can't work my way into His good graces and I can't expect to please God by simply doing what I think is right.  Instead, it is a love for His teachings and a desire to comply that brings joy to my Father's heart. (John 14:15)  He desires a pliable heart that is willing to let go of my own ways and adopt His instead. (Psalm 51:17)

In order for God to find my heart complete, it is important that I obey Him without reserve.

Repent

The new skier was on a route headed for destruction.  While she could see she was on a collision course with another skier, she didn't yet possess the skills to be able to change her heading.  Consequently, the young woman crashed into the other student.  Thankfully, they were both moving at a slow rate of speed so the injuries were negligible   The lesson learned, however, was powerful.  

When I see myself traveling in the wrong direction, the only way I can avoid crashing and burning is to change my present heading.  I must turn away from traditions that are empty and meaningless, setting my sights instead upon pleasing the Lord in the way I live every part of my life.  (Isaiah 1:10-17Romans 12:1)  If I'm caught up in doing things out of obligation instead of obedience to God's direct calling on my life, then it is time for me to change my focus.

A shameless heart will continue doing the things I know to be wrong while making an effort to look godly on the outside.  An unrepentant spirit also shows it's colors in my lack of attention to the areas of sin in my life God is pointing out as unacceptable.  I must also be careful not to drift in my walk, but to make a conscious effort to keep reaching out to my Source of power and direction. (John 15:5)

In order for God to find my heart complete, it is important that I keep my heading programmed on Jesus. (Hebrews 12:1-12)


It is easy to slip into an easy way of living where I drift along aimlessly.  As one dedicated to following Jesus, however, I must wake up!  God sees the real condition of my heart so I would please Him by remembering His teachings, obeying His Word, and repenting from all that He despises.  In these ways my heart will appear as complete before Him.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep focused on Jesus.

How do I let my own flesh lead me instead of following Jesus?

When am I most in danger of slipping into mindless traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment