The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Lukewarm

"I know all the things you do, 
that you are neither hot nor cold.
I wish that you were one or the other!
But since you are like lukewarm water,
neither hot nor cold,
I will spit you out of my mouth!
You say, 'I am rich.
I have everything I want.
I don't need a thing!'
And you don't realize that you are wretched
and miserable and poor and blind and naked!
So I advise you to buy gold from me--
gold that has bee purified by fire.
Then you will be rich.
Also buy white garments from me
so you will not be shamed by your nakedness,
and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see.
I correct and discipline everyone I love.
So be diligent and turn from your indifference.

Look!  I stand at the door and knock.
If you hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in,
and we will share a meal together as friends.
Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne,
just as I was victorious
 and sat with my Father on his throne."
Revelation 3:15-21 NLT



The game was simple: choose one side and show allegiance to your team by trying with all your might to tag as many members of the other team as possible, freezing them in order to render them as helpless.  The first team to immobilize all members of the enemy team wins.

As the kids ran around the field, though, I soon noticed one girl who seemed to be tagging anyone she could get her hands on.  "Beverly, which team are you on?"  I asked, trying to get her back on track.  She replied, "Oh, I don't want to pick teams.  I'd rather just run around and freeze whoever I can."

Just as it is important while playing this version of freeze tag to choose a team, so it is vital to my walk with Christ to likewise pick a side.  Jesus hates the middle!  He wants me to stake my claim, choose my side, pick my team.  To stay neutral or in the center, between Him and Satan, angers Him.  Perhaps this is because sitting on the fence is really a choice against Jesus and for the Enemy. (Matthew 12:30)   

It is sobering to think that I may exhibit this kind of indifference in some ways I didn't realize.  Let me take an objective look at the way I live my life.

Blended

They believed a little bit of everything.  If it sounded good to them, they would incorporate it into their belief system.  The Samaritans gathered together idols like some collect tea cups or stamps.  To them, every religion was equal and more of the same.

For this reason, among many, the Jews abhorred the groups of people who inhabited an area in the northern kingdom of Israel.  As a people group who were always taught about purity and staying loyal to the One True God, this kind of openness was repulsive to the Israelites.  As much as I understand about God's jealous nature, I still tend to drift toward a similar kind of unfaithfulness as I live in a world not so different from that of the Samaritans.

Talk show hosts spout words of worldly wisdom which sound good to my itching ears and I take it in as truth. (2 Timothy 4:3)  Instead of using the spirit of discernment which comes from honing my relationship with my holy Father, I rely on my own understanding and believe everything that appeals to my flesh.  (Proverbs 3:5-6)

The moment a sickness rears it's ugly head, I begin researching possible causes and never think to go to the Great Physician and seek His healing.  When a new television show sounds intriguing, I get hooked with nary a thought toward the effect it may have on my heart.  (Proverbs 4:23)

I am lukewarm when I blend into the world around me instead of taking purposeful steps toward staying true to my God.

Independent

  I used to think one of the most important traits to instill in my daughters was a spirit of self-sufficiency.  When they were young, I looked forward to the day when they could do things for themselves; wash their own clothes, prepare their own food and drive themselves to where they wanted to go.  

Once the girls reached the teenage years, however, God impressed upon me the importance of teaching them dependence.  Not a reliance on me and my husband, but a complete trust in their heavenly Father as the One who is able to supply all their needs.

To take this lesson to heart for myself, I need to drop the modern idea of autonomy and individualism.  Instead of looking to my own abilities and resources to provide for myself, I would do well to picture myself as a little girl who lives without worry as she looks to her rich and powerful Daddy to lavishly adorn her with good things.  In this way, I will live in the kind of relationship my Father intended for me.

In the place of going after what I think I need, I can instead focus on God's kingdom and on living in a way that pleases Him.  As a result, the Lord who knows my needs better than I will perfectly shower me with goodness. (Matthew 6:31-33)

I am lukewarm when I exhibit an independent spirit instead of looking to my Father as the Source and Supplier of all I need.

Not Ready

My husband went to pick up the daughter of a friend of ours but she was not ready when he arrived.  He had to wait as she gathered up all her necessities for an overnight stay, making him precariously close to being late for a class he was scheduled to teach.  This young lady almost missed out on this planned time with our family because she had not been paying attention to the time and was not prepared for my husband's arrival.

I am not so different from this adolescent girl.  I get so caught up in my day-to-day activities that I forget that Jesus could come back at any time.  Am I ready?  Instead of watching for Him in eager anticipation, I tend to get comfortable in this world.  

When I settle in here, making this place my home, I become blinded to the work of God's hand all around me and instead focus on my own fitness.  Instead of seeing myself as the sinner in need of the grace of God that identifies me to Christ, I start comparing myself to others and judge myself as not so bad.  

Rationalization of my areas of sin soon follows and before I know it, I'm trapped in a stronghold of sin.  In order to stay in a state of readiness, I must always keep my sin before me, realizing my desperate need for Jesus.

I am lukewarm when I get comfortable with my sin instead of realizing my state of nakedness before a Holy God.


There is no doubt that Jesus hates the position in the middle of the road;  He'd rather I choose sides.  While I may think I've staked my claim, a thorough examination of my life may come up with a different conclusion.  My tendency to blend into this world, to live independently and my state of un-readiness reveals the truth:  I am in danger of being lukewarm.  Whose side will I choose this day?


As I begin this day may I intentionally choose Jesus.

When do I drift along instead of swimming purposefully toward my Lord and Savior?

How do I rely on my own resources instead of God's?  

No comments:

Post a Comment