The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Sweet and Sour

"So I went to the angel 
and asked him to give me the little scroll.
He said to me,
'Take it and eat it.
It will turn your stomach sour,
but in your mouth it will be as sweet as honey.'
I took the little scroll from the angel's hand and ate it.
It tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth,
but when I had eaten it,
my stomach turned sour."



The blue blooms popped out from the landscape as soon as I turned the corner into our cul-de-sac.  Deep indigo mixed with striking cobalt on the hydrangea in front of my house.  Walking around to the side of my garage, however, I was intrigued by the same exact variety exhibiting pinkish hues.  The color of a hydrangea varies depending upon the pH of the soil.

In a similar way, where I stand in relation to God determines how I view His Word.  If I am reconciled in my relationship with Him through the blood of Jesus, then his Word is sweet and nourishing.  If, however, I am at odds with Him because of my sin, I will find it sour and offensive.  The Word of God stands as a divider and serves as a double edge sword, exposing my thoughts and desires, revealing where I stand with God. (Hebrews 4:12-13)

Sin

More than anything else found in all of creation, sin wreaks the most havoc.  It causes pain and suffering, results in broken relationships and hearts, and only leads to death and destruction.  The introduction of sin into the world through Adam ruined God's perfect world.  As soon as it was birthed, things started to go downhill.

For those who are covered by the blood of Jesus through faith in Him, however, sin does not hamper our relationship with God.  In fact, the stain of my sin has been cleansed, making it appear as white as snow. (Isaiah 1:18)  Just like my favorite blouse can be ruined by a dribble of spaghetti sauce, staining it forever, so sin works in my life.  It taints me with the stench of death. 

Thankfully, God made a way to remove the permanent tarnish of sin by the sacrifice of His own Son on the cross.  When He took the punishment for my transgressions, He also gave me the ability to live free from it's bondage.  When I accept this free gift He so lovingly offers, my sins are washed away.  

For those outside of this covering of righteousness, however, sin is a problem.  It binds men to itself, holding them in bondage to it's fleshly pull.  It soils the heart, making relationships with God and humans impossible.  It twists the truth, making a lie seem like the best path to choose.

When the Word of God points out my sin, what I have done with Jesus determines whether I am condemned to eternal death or convicted to let it go.

Judgment

She stood before the judge alone, shouldering the weight of her offense.  "How do you plead?"  the judge asked.
"Guilty,"  my friend responded.
Because of her admission of guilt, this woman had to bear the full brunt of her crime, paying the price of punishment required by the county courts for her misdeed.

While it wasn't easy for my friend to pay those fines, it was what she earned by making the wrong choices.  In the same way, my transgressions against a holy God earns me eternal death.  If I am outside Jesus' flock, I must shoulder the responsibility for my own sins.  When I stand before God, then, He will hand down a verdict of "guilty" and I will be sent to the death chambers.  In contrast to what I see of death in this world, however, the kind of death my sins earn me translates into eternal suffering as I endure separation from God.

If I belong to Jesus through simple faith, however, His lordship over my life extends to my sin.  Instead of me bearing the burden of my own sins then, I am saved from eternal suffering by the One who withstood God's wrath in my place.  Jesus shielded me from God's judgment with His own sacrifice.  

No sin ever committed goes unpunished.  Either it's judgment will be born by the sinner, or the punishment has already been handled by Jesus.  In this way, God's just nature is satisfied. (Hebrews 9:22, 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9)

When the Word of God reveals the judgment of God, I will either find myself standing before Him on my own or with Jesus acting as my defense attorney.

Eternity

Some people like to think Hell is a place where people get to freely indulge in sin.  It is sometimes portrayed in movies as a destination of pleasure where inhabitants will sit around and play poker all day, indulging in all kinds of sinful activities without the curse of guilt.

In reality, Hell is a place of eternal suffering where God's righteous wrath is continuously poured out on it's inhabitants.  It is not a destination where one would enjoy living, but rather is a place of unending torture.  (Luke 16:23-24)  

For those outside of the redemptive power found in Jesus Christ, God's Word condemns me to this place of torment.  (Romans 6:23)  On the other hand, those who are covered by the blood of Jesus and read of eternity in His Word discover a much different experience.  

To followers of Christ, eternity is a place of great joy and fulfillment.  While He was with His disciples here on earth, Jesus told of a place that He is preparing for those who walk with Him on earth.  (John 14:2)  It is a place where there are no more tears, where the Lord Himself is our light and healing will be complete. (Revelation 22:1-4, Revelation 21:4) Eternity for those in Christ is a place in which to look forward, but a place to dread for those outside the protective covering of Jesus' blood.

When the Word of God speaks of eternity, whether or not I accept Jesus as Lord determines whether my heart will leap with joy or if I'll gnash my teeth in dread.


God's Word does not change, but it's effect on my life is different depending upon where I stand.  If I'm firmly planted on the solid rock of Jesus, then I will find my sins are forgiven, the judgment meant for me has already been handled, and eternity is a place to anticipate with great joy.  If I reject Jesus as my Lord and Savior, however, the holy scriptures elicit a much different response:  Sin binds me and soils me, judgment is in my future, and eternity is a place that sets my teeth on edge.  I would much rather taste the sweetness of God's Word through faith in Jesus than to experience the sourness it's bold Truth proclaims as I stand on my own.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will place my life completely in Jesus' hands.

How do I respond when scripture convicts me of my sin?

If my sin is already covered, why do I sometimes let it stay like an old friend?  


No comments:

Post a Comment