The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, July 8, 2013

He Reigns

"Then as I looked, 
I saw a door standing open in heaven,
and the same voice I had heard before
spoke to me like a trumpet blast.
The voice said,
'Come up here,
and I will show you what must happen after this.'
And instantly I was in the Spirit,
and I saw a throne in heaven and someone sitting on it.
The one sitting on the throne was as brilliant as gemstones--
like jasper and carnelian.
And the glow of an emerald circled his throne like a rainbow.
Twenty-four thrones surrounded him,
and twenty-four elders sat on them.
They were all clothed in white
and had gold crowns on their heads."
Revelation 4:1-3 NLT



"Plane crashes killing two and injuring dozens."
"40 dead, 322 wounded in latest Cairo clash."
"At least 9 dead in Chicago after weekend shootings."
"Brazil soccer referee's head displayed midfield after murderous match."
"Lady Gaga defiles national anthem by replacing 'home of the brave' with 'home of the gays.'"

These are some of the headlines from today's news.  Clearly, the world is in chaos, sin runs rampant and it seems that evil rules.  Hearts have grown cold and I can easily feel there is no hope.  If I could take a peek through an open door and catch a glimpse of heaven, however, what would I see that would fill me with optimistic expectations?

Throne

The moment I or one of my family members leaves the room, the whining begins.  It starts as a whimper that turns into a belly-growl.  Before you know it, our family dog is barking incessantly.  Coal, our 10-year-old lab mix does not like to be alone;  simply being in the presence of his family brings him comfort.  

As a result, when he and his brother are sequestered in a room each day in order to keep them out of the way during Bible study groups, visits from friends or other various activities, he often protests.  There is something about human company that brings him comfort.

In the same way, I can derive a certain amount of assurance from the fact that the throne in heaven does not sit empty.  Instead, the Lord my God, Maker of heaven and earth fills this symbol of power, authority and sovereignty.  God is in control.

Therefore, when I see the evil all around me and I'm tempted to lose hope, I can remember the presence of my Father whose company I can never escape.  His eye doesn't miss a thing and He hems me in with His loving kindness; the Lord is the consummate Shepherd, guiding me through all the trials of life. (Psalm 139)

In a world seemingly out-of-control, I can take comfort from the fact that the Lord sits on the throne.

Glory

The sheer intensity of the lighted blinded the man.  He fell to the ground in terror tinged with awe.  "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?"  The voice clearly condemned his life's work, adding to the fear and trepidation building in the chosen one's heart.  In the blink of an eye, Saul suddenly knew the Truth:  All this time, he had been living according to the wrong set of standards.  Coming into contact with the Namesake of those he bullied changed his life forever. (Acts 9:1-9)

No one can imagine the perfection, holiness, and pure power present in the glory of God.  Moses caught a glimpse of the backside of the Lord and came away with a face that glowed with God's awesome brilliance; so much so that he had to cover his face with a veil to keep from freaking out the people with whom he spoke. (Exodus 34:29-35) There is nothing like a hint of God's awe-inspiring nature to put things into perspective.

Knowing how much higher God is from all created things can give me a sense of peace in a world gone mad. (Isaiah 55:8-9)  When I see children being abused and used in ways that my mind cannot fathom, I can remember the One whom all will one day confess as Lord. (Romans 14:11-12)  

I can also take heart as I see the sexual immorality tarnishing every facet of our society, knowing that a Holy God does not overlook this kind of abomination.  And when that sin stains my own heart, I can go on without shame as the blood of Jesus covers over my transgressions, making me white as snow. (1 John 1:7)

In a world marked by sin, I can take comfort from the fact that my Father is a righteous God.

His Faithfulness

His people carried an ancestry of His Name.  Those who came from the bloodline of Abraham were named as God's very own.  Simply being born into the right family made them special in the eyes of God. (Genesis 12:1-3, Exodus 6:7)  The nation of Israel were considered by God to be His very own.

Under the new covenant of grace, I no longer need be born into the right family tree.  Now, I can enter into His favor through faith in Jesus Christ who took the punishment for my sins, setting me right with God. (2 Corinthians 5:17-19)  I am now included as one of His very own, the people of promise, and therefore part of His plan. (Romans 9:8)

God is a just God who cannot overlook sin.  When He chose His people, He expected them to stay separate from the rest of the world, keeping themselves holy.  God enacted many rules to help His people keep sanctified for His service.  Unfortunately, sin proved all too powerful and many succumbed to it's lure, highlighting their need for a Savior.

Despite the desperate nature of my depravity, God is faithful to include me, a sinner tarnished and born into the wrong bloodline as one of His own.  The power of the blood of Jesus cleanses me from all unrighteousness, leaving me as one of His very own.  There is nothing that can now condemn me so secure is my place in His family.  Living for Him as one of His children sets my feet on solid ground. (Romans 8:1)

In a world where I am used to earning my keep, I can take comfort from the fact that my salvation is secure in Christ.


It is easy to lose hope in such a dark place.  Simply reading the headlines can cause me to sink into despair.  Thankfully, though, I have much good to anticipate due to the fact that the Lord is on the throne, His ways are higher than mine, and He is faithful to include me as one of His own.    This day I choose to praise my God because He reigns!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember that my God reigns.

How do I sink into despair, forgetting Who is in control?

When do I depend on my own understanding instead of letting God in His sovereignty rule over my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment