The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Light

"God said,
'Let there be light.'
And there was light!
God saw that the light was good,
so God separated the light from the darkness."
Genesis 1:3-4 NET



I opened my eyes but nothing happened.  The inky blackness behind my closed eyelids matched the darkness found in my tent pitched deep in the forest.  I waited, giving my young eyes a chance to adjust.  Still, not a bit of darkness could be detected.  As I lay in my sleeping bag, unable to discern my surroundings, the night seemed to press in around me, giving me a feeling of claustrophobia.   I lay there in a wide-eyed state of alertness until finally, my fatigue overcame my sense of anxiety and I fell into a state of slumber.

The next time I opened my eyes on that memorable trip of my youth to the back-country of Yellowstone park, however, everything was different.  Light flooded the tent and what felt like a tomb a few hours before, now was my peaceful home away from home:  The introduction of light had changed everything.

In the beginning, God made the light and called it "good." (Genesis 1:4)  Darkness always existed, but once the light came, everything changed.  (v 2)  God's creation of light provides many reminders of the Truth as I negotiate my walk with Christ.

Separated

The shirt draped over a chair becomes an intruder hunched in the corner.  A painting of a smiling woman is transformed into a grimacing fiend.  The friendly figurine of a frolicking feline looks more like a menacing monster.  Darkness has a way of hiding the goodness and providing fertile ground for an active imagination.

In a similar way, the darkness of this world and my sinful nature both have a way of twisting what is good into something evil.  Marriage is morphed from the bedrock of our society where children are nurtured and men and women find meaning in their God-given roles to a meaningless institution devoid of purposeful underpinning.

In the hands of this darkness, God is removed as the Giver of the standard for living and in His place man's corrupt conscience serves as the establisher of the benchmark.  It is also apparent that the once thriving, hospitable, loving home where education and commerce of all kinds took place is now simply a haven from the world and a place to find refuge from others.

When God separated the light from the darkness, He set in place a reminder of my calling to set myself aside for His use.  Instead of merging into the ways of the world that are so comfortable to my sinful nature, I hold God's ways as more valuable.  In this way I will exist in the world as salt and light without risk of looking just like unbelievers who have no hope. (Matthew 5:13-16, Matthew 6:31-32)

Just as light is divided from darkness, so is God's purpose far different from the world's.

Jesus

No matter what time of year you may visit Yuma, Arizona, you will probably find a sunny day.  It is known as the sunniest city in the U.S. with an average of 328 days of sun per year.  For those who prefer cheery, sunlit days, this is the place to dwell.  To find 100% chance of walking in the light, however, I need look no further than Jesus!  You see, wherever Jesus is, I will find light because He is the Light of the world.  (John 8:12)

Following the Holy Spirit, then, is the one sure way to walk in the Light, for He would never lead me into darkness.  (Galatians 5:16-18)  When I am tempted to follow my natural inclinations and let my selfish desires lead the way, I find myself looking out for myself, promoting my plans, and meeting my needs.  When I let God's Spirit guide me, however, I will discover a new-found selflessness as I desire to help others, glorify God by supporting His plan, and looking for ways to meet the needs of those around me.

As a follower of Christ, I am not bound to the darkness of my sin nature, but neither am I a resident of this world.  When I stick by His side, I will find the God-offending thinking so common in this day and age to be as foreign to my mind. (Romans 12:2)  It will also become clear that His love will flow freely from me as I am transformed from a judgmental, harsh critic to a merciful dispenser of grace.  In the Light, the homeless beggar becomes someone's father or brother who needs a kind touch instead of a pitiful excuse of a man who has given up on life.  The Light has a way of altering my perspective to line up more with His rather than the world's.

Just as light is at odds from darkness, so will following Jesus place me on a narrow path that drastically differs from the wide, well-traveled path of the world.  

Unquenchable

No matter how many times he blew, the birthday boy could not extinguish the candle.  His mother had carefully hidden the trick candle in the center of the cluster of 8 flaming symbols of his age, knowing how much her son loved practical jokes.  Finally, they dipped the still-flaming candle into some water to douse the fire so they could cut the cake.

While these trick birthday candles can be a fun edition to any party, it can also remind us of Jesus.  His Light is unable to be extinguished by anything found in all of creation.  No matter how dark the world seems, it is never so bad that it will overcome the Light.  (John 1:5)

Applying this truth to my life, I will discover that there is no hurt that cannot be healed by the touch of Jesus.  No matter how hopeless a situation seems, it is not so difficult that a touch of His cloak will not overcome it.  (Luke 8:44)

There are times when it seems evil is winning, but the Truth tells me that the One who resides in my heart is greater than the Evil One who prowls the earth looking for someone to devour.  (1 John 4:4, 1 Peter 5:8)  I can also remember when I feel like my sin is always winning out that Jesus has finished His redemptive work on the cross that provides me an endless supply of forgiveness and the power to overcome.  (1 John 1:7-9Galatians 5:24-25)

Just as light cannot be extinguished by darkness, so is the Light of Jesus unable to be quenched by evil.


When God made light, He called it good and opened up a precedence for living in relation to Him.  I am to live fully in His Light, separate from the ways of the world and my sinful nature.  I also am called to walk beside Jesus as He leads me through the darkness, knowing that His Light cannot be extinguished.  These are the lessons of the light I can take with me throughout my life.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember the significance of light.

When am I drawn to the darkness like a moth to the flame?

How am I living a defeated life instead of remembering the victory I have in Jesus? 

No comments:

Post a Comment