The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

God's Image

"So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.
God blessed them and said to them,
'Be fruitful and increase in number;
fill the earth and subdue it.
Rule over the fish in the sea
and the birds in the sky
and over every living creature that moves on the ground.'"
Genesis 1:27-28



Looking at the annoying burrs clinging both to his pants and his dog's fur, he wondered what made these unrelenting seed-sacs stick so persistently.  Removing one of the culprits from his clothing, he quenched his curiosity by examining it under the microscope.  There he found inspiration and the world of fasteners has never been the same.

George de Mestral invented Velcro after discovering the unique hooked design of the burrs and noticing how it so effectively attached itself to the tiny loops found in the fabric of his pants.  Mimicking this principle using nylon, a handy fastening system that is widely used today on everything from shoes to medical equipment was invented, finally being patented in 1955.

While Mr. de Mestral created this product for a specific use, hooking one thing to another, I'm sure he didn't foresee it's popularity.  God, however, knew exactly what was to come when He formed the world and everything in it.  When He came to the sixth and final day of creation, He brought forth a man.  Even though this creature was given the ability to decide his own path, God did intend a specific purpose.  Knowing my Creator's objective for my life is important if I'm going to live in a way that pleases Him.

To Reflect

No one could stand to look at him, his face shone with such radiance.  As a result, he covered his face with a veil while in the presence of man. (Exodus 34:29-35)  It is said that God spoke to Moses as one speaks to a friend. (Exodus 33:11)  Coming into such intimate contact with the holiness and magnificence of God was bound to effect Moses in one way or another.  This transformation manifested itself physically by leaving an afterglow.

While I may not experience such an obvious outward sign as did Moses, I will exhibit more and more of God's character as I grow closer to my Father.  Spending time in His presence can't help but change me.  In the same way that a mirror reflects the light, so I am created to reflect His characteristics.

As there is found less and less of my own fleshly traits, more and more of His' shine through.  As I crucify more and more of my own fleshly desires on the cross of Christ, there is ample room for His fruit to be produced. (Galatians 5:24)  Over time, then, I will find where I once thought only of my own needs and desires, I will be compelled to reach out to those God puts in my path.  

Other times I'll notice a peace where once only turmoil existed.  There will even be moments of patience where I used to expect to see irritation and intolerance. In order to let God's character flow from my being, though, I must let go of the sin that blocks His glory.

I was created to reflect the image of God.

To be fruitful

They were cast away like so much discarded trash, left to fend for themselves in the streets.  Even though they were created for a purpose, it seemed their value was minimal.  Unfortunately, many adults in Guatemala do not understand the gift found in each human life.  Instead, they only see the burden, casting their own flesh away in order to make their impoverished life a little easier.

It is said that one child is abandoned in Guatemala City every four days.  While large family size and poverty make this unthinkable choice seem necessary, it is hard to see precious life discarded in such a heartbreaking way.

When God created mankind, He sent us forth with the directive to, "be fruitful and increase in number." (Genesis 1:28)  This command, coupled with the previous revelation that mankind is made in God's image, implies a value placed on children.  They are not simply warm bodies meant to fill a void in the universe, but each are image bearers.  Therefore, every human life is infinitely precious, not matter how small.

As a parent, it challenges me to think of the dear ones placed in my care by a loving God as not my own to treat as I see fit.  Instead, each is created uniquely for a specific purpose, making them inherently important.  As an adult who comes into contact with children other than my own on a daily basis, it challenges me even more.

Children are not simply noise-makers who seem to excel at making messes and getting in the way.  Rather, they are placed here are earth for a reason and I should treat them as such.  As easy as it is to dismiss little ones because of their diminutive size, the way I deal with them in the day-to-day stresses of life tells everything that needs to be known regarding the inclination of my heart.

I was created to value children.

To Tend

They take meticulous care.  Roses need the right amount of sunshine, ample water, appropriate fertilizer, scrupulous pest and disease control and conscientious pruning.  Taking all the necessary steps will result in gorgeous blooms that will bring joy throughout the summer.  Neglect, however, will lead to the death of the plant.

Just as flowers were created to give us pleasure, the entire earth was put in place for the benefit of mankind.  Unfortunately, it will not continue to thrive unless I do my part as it's caretaker.  In the same way that the rose needs my attention, so does the rest of creation need tender loving care.

While I don't want to get to the point where I worship nature, it is wise for me to think of myself as her caretaker.  Instead of liberally wasting water, then, a good steward would view the liquid flowing freely from my faucet as a valuable resource.  

I would also be wise to consider carefully what I am tempted to toss into by garbage can, realizing it will end up in a landfill and may impact the surrounding soil in a harmful way.  A caretaker of the earth also is concerned about the balance of nature, realizing each insect, creature and plant is important in the scheme of things.  Many times I instead get caught up with the inconvenience or discomfort as nature intersects with my life.

I was created to take care of God's creation.


God has a plan for everything He created.  Knowing that I was made to reflect God's glory, to value children, and to tend to His creation changes the way I think about my life.  Instead of seeing myself through my own eyes, I can ask God to give me His perspective so I can go forth as One made in His image, thus fulfilling my purpose.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember my inherent value as an image bearer.

When do I waste resources instead of treating them as precious?

How do I brush children aside when I should be pouring into them as the earth's most precious resource?

No comments:

Post a Comment