The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Few

"The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the
human race had become on the earth,
and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart
was only evil all the time.
The LORD regretted that he had made human beings
on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.
So the LORD said,
'I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created--and with them the animals,
the birds and the creatures that move along the ground--
for I regret that I have made them.'
But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD."
Genesis 6:5-8



The crowds were thick at the foot of the mountain as people enjoyed the view, the fresh air and the high-altitude sunshine.  Families gathered around the picnic tables that were sprinkled around the perimeter of the parking lot, surrounded by wildflowers.  The sound of children laughing permeated the air with a festive feel.  

As we began the ascent up the trail, the hum of the multitude gradually faded until all we could hear was the sharp call of a lone stellar jay.  At first we passed quite a few fellow hikers, but the further we went up the rocky path, the more the crowds thinned out until we were virtually alone, reveling in the panorama afforded by our high position.

There are few who desire to climb higher up the mountain and it is safe to say that following Jesus is similarly unpopular.  While the views are spectacular, the road to reach those rare vistas is narrow and rocky, and few find it.  (Matthew 7:14)  When the world is filled with hate, lies and corruption, there are few who recognize the Truth and follow it.

God's kingdom is made of the few who are following the path of life. (Psalm 16:11)

The Ark

The Lord gave specific instructions as to how to build the enormous vessel.  The builder and his family made many sacrifices, giving up a normal life of acceptance by their neighbors and instead chose to obey the bizarre directives of God.  While I'm sure Noah ran into many roadblocks and difficulties during his near hundred-year project, drawing the scorn and ridicule of those around him, He saw more value in following God's ways than in fitting in with the crowd.

In the same way that the boat filled with animals saved a few select people from destruction, so the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross protects a minority.  Jesus declared His purpose to the crowds who had seen his miracle of multiplying the loaves of bread and fish and were eager to learn more about Him.  To those gathered He said, "But you haven't believed in me even though you have seen me. However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them." (John 6:36-37)

In the same way that God placed Noah and his family on the ark, so there are a few whom God has drawn to Jesus, making their need for a Savior known to them. (John 6:44)  No one can deem Jesus as Lord of their life without the power of the Holy Spirit enabling them to see His true identity. (1 Corinthians 12:3)  Even the faith I use to trust in Jesus as my Lord and Savior comes from God.  (Ephesians 2:8-9)

My salvation from the wrath of God is a gift of God not to be taken lightly.

Favor

Her heart was inclined toward His, looking not to the predicament in which she would soon find herself, but instead focusing on the will of Him who called her.  Mary was one of the few who found favor with the Lord.  

Many were chosen throughout the history of mankind to carry out God's plan, but few actually won over His heart.  Mary was one of those on whom the Lord was pleased and her response to His difficult message revealing His plan of sending His Son to earth as a baby through her virgin body tells us why He smiled upon her.

After the young maiden pledged to be married understood her difficult role; to bear a baby out of wedlock and raise the Christ child as her own, she simply stated, "I am the Lord's servant.  May everything you have said about me come true." (Luke 1:38)  Such willing obedience is rare indeed.

When I accept the appointment God has created for me today, welcoming the interruption to my schedule, God is pleased with my attitude.  His favor falls on me when I trust Him wholly, casting aside my inclination to worry and fret over the days' troubles.   The Lord also smiles when I walk forward into the darkness by faith, believing that He will be there to light the way.

The favor of God is saved for the minority who are willing to obey without hesitation.

Narrow Gate

I approached the side of my neighbor's house, leading the wayward dog toward a certain place in the wooden fence.  If I hadn't known the gate existed, I wouldn't ever suspect I could gain entry into the yard through this section of fence, so clever was the craftsmanship.

Just as my neighbor's gate is only known by a few people, so is the narrow gate that leads to life.  In contrast, the road that leads to destruction is broad and it's entryway is obvious.  Many enter through the gates that lead to Hell, so enticing and pleasurable are the promises made by those who travel there.  (Matthew 7:13-14)  

Only those who know the Gate, however, will find the way into God's kingdom.  Jesus is the only way to find true purpose here and life in eternity, and only those who belong to Him will discover entry into a rich and satisfying life. (John 10:9)

While it may be popular to travel the broad road, only a few will enter through the hard-to-find gate and trek up the narrow, difficult path that leads to life.


It may seem comfortable to be in the majority while living here on earth, but the Kingdom of God is saved for the minority.  In the same way that the ark only rescued a few from the wrath of God, so the blood of Jesus covers the sins of a small number.  Similarly, God's favor only falls upon those who willingly obey, and the narrow gate that leads to life is only revealed to some.  As a member of God's kingdom, I had better get used to being in the minority!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will not seek to follow the crowd.

When am I more comfortable getting lost in with the multitudes instead of standing all alone off to the side?

How do I fail to take a stand at the risk of rocking the boat?  

No comments:

Post a Comment