The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Questions

"The other men turned and headed toward Sodom,
but the LORD remained with Abraham.
Abraham approached him and said,
'Will you sweep away both the righteous and the wicked?
Suppose you find fifty righteous people
living there in the city--
will you still sweep it away and not spare it for their sakes?
Surely you wouldn't do such a thing,
destroying the righteous along with the wicked.
Why, you would be treating the righteous
and the wicked exactly the same!
Surely you wouldn't do that!
Should not the Judge of all the earth do what is right?'
And the LORD replied,
'If I find fifty righteous people in Sodom,
I will spare the entire city for their sake.'"
Genesis 18:22-26 NLT



"C'mon, let's go to the store!"
"Why, Daddy?"
" 'Cause we're out of milk and we need to buy some more."
"Why?"
"Well, we use a lot of milk in our cereal and to drink with our meals."
"Why?"
"It tastes good and is good for us."
"Why?"
"Okay Vanessa, that's enough of the questions.  Let's just get in the car and go!"
"Why?"

Dealing with a 4-year-old's constant probings can be tedious and aggravating;  sometimes there simply  isn't an answer!  But a preschooler learns by asking questions and a patient father will take the time to give a thoughtful response.  While it sometimes seems a child is being fresh, she is really seeking understanding.  There is so much to learn about this world and her place in it!

In the same way, God welcomes my questions when I seek to understand, for it is in His response that I learn much of His character, experience His patience, and am reminded of His power.

His Character

It is said that my character is exposed when no one is looking.  Who I am, how I respond and what I do when I am by myself reveals my true nature.  If there's no one around late at night in the grocery store and I'm starving, will I pocket that candy bar?  When I'm filling out my taxes at the kitchen table, do I fudge the numbers to increase the amount of my refund?  If I see a toddler crying all alone on the side of the road when I'm late for an appointment, do I stop and try to help?

While my sin nature is constantly at war with the leading of the Holy Spirit within, persistently presenting opportunities to do the right thing, God is never faced with a dilemma.  His nature is constant and sure; never varying, and He never faces a moral quandary.  He is the Father of heavenly lights, source of all good things who does not change like shifting shadows. (James 1:17)  When it comes to God, I know what to expect.

In today's Scripture passage, Abraham learns more about God's nature by probing Him with a series of questions.  He wants to know how precious life is to Him, how just is His nature, and if He can be trusted.  Maybe Abraham wanted to know where he stood with God and how far the Creator of all things would go to save him if he were a resident of Sodom.

At the end of the exchange, the receiver of the promise seems to be satisfied with the character of the Giver of the promise.  He decides he can trust the Lord because His character is genuine.

The same is true for me.  I can trust God to never leave me, to bring good out of every circumstance, and to always provide a way out when I am tempted to stray. (Deuteronomy 31:6, Matthew 28:20Romans 8:28, 1 Corinthians 10:13)  The character Abraham discovered by asking a seemingly endless string of questions gives me a solid rock on which to build my life.

I need not fear asking probing questions of God, for it always reveals His solid character.

His Patience

"Where are you going?"  Every time any member of our family gets ready to leave the house, we are accosted by the cute but curious children who live next door.  My eldest daughter is often irritated by their innate curiosity and their propensity for dispensing their own form of wisdom.  When my daughter responds to the inevitable probe with, "I'm going to work," the 4-year-old girl consistently comes back with, "But girls don't work!"

While this may not be the most encouraging way to be sent off to start one's day, the constant questions are a part of living in our neighborhood.  Therefore, the barrage can either be accepted with patience or dismissed as just another source of annoyance at the beginning of a long and frustrating day.

Thankfully, God never faces this dilemma.  It is in His nature to entertain the questions meant to teach me more about Himself with patience and endurance.  Therefore, I need not fear being brushed aside with annoyance.  God always takes the time I need.

I need not fear asking probing questions of God, for His patience is never ending.  (Psalm 86:15)

His Power

He revealed His plan for her life and she laughed!  Sure, it seemed absurd; giving birth to a child at her old age.  Even her husband was old and well beyond the years of fertility.  Why would she belief her frail frame could withstand such an ordeal as child bearing?  Instead of focusing on her own human weakness, however, her faith would have been bolstered if Sarah had remembered the power of the One who spoke.

God wasted no time in reminding her of His might when He asked Abraham, "Is anything too hard for the Lord?"  (v 14 NLT)  This is a good reminder for me, as well.  

When money runs short and the bills keep piling up, I can focus on my Father who owns the cattle on a thousand hills and promises to provide for my needs.  (Psalm 50:10, Matthew 6:31-33)  When tomorrow seems so dark and I'm afraid of what I will face, I can focus on my Father who is already there, shining His light into the unknown.  (Psalm 139:7-12, Psalm 91)  When it seems there is no one around me I can trust, I can focus on my Father who is faithful and true.  (1 Corinthians 1:9)

I need not fear asking probing questions of God, for He will use that opportunity to remind me of His mighty power.


Many times I have heard it said to never question God, but a study of His Word shows that those who were closest to Him learned by asking probing questions.  While it may reveal my lack of faith when I ask, "Why," there are other questions that can teach me about His character, demonstrate His patience, and give Him an opportunity to remind me of His power.  These are the kind of questions God welcomes from His children who are honestly seeking to know Him.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will think of God as my Father who delights in my desire to know Him more.

When am I afraid to question God?

How do I withdraw from my Father in fear?  

No comments:

Post a Comment