The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Jumping to Conclusions

"'Yes,' the man told him.
'They have moved on from here,
but I heard them say,
'Let's go on to Dothan.'
So Joseph followed his brothers to Dothan
and found them there.
When Joseph's brothers saw him coming,
they recognized him in the distance.
As he approached,
they made plans to kill him.
'Here comes the dreamer!' they said.
'Come on,
let's kill him and throw him into one of these cisterns.
We can tell our father,
A wild animal has eaten him.
Then we'll see what becomes of his dreams!'"



The brothers were consumed with jealous bitterness.  While it was true that their younger brother was a spoiled brat who could do no wrong in the eyes of their father, there was more to their hatred than simple resentment.  Because of this boy, none of them could have a close relationship with their father.  Each of them felt like a failure around this greatly admired man.  A son wants nothing more than the acceptance and love of their dad, but with Joseph around, their father seemed to only have eyes for the favored one.  They could never live up to the patriarch's high expectations, and that gaudy robe was only a painful reminder of this difficult truth.

Anger and hatred can stem from many sources.  Whatever the root, however, the result is the same: the hurt that turns to bitterness influences the way I think which, in turn, impacts my actions.  This may be one of the most powerful reasons why God commands His people to freely offer the gift of forgiveness. (Ephesians 4:32)

When I hold onto the pain wrought at the hand of another, I may assume they are my enemy.  When I see this person enter my life, I jump to the conclusion that they are here to inflict harm, thus withholding the love of God that is to freely flow through His people.  Instead, there may be another reason for the visit, but I'll never find out unless I give them a chance through the grace that God so liberally gives.

Eyes of God

As a people, we are rich.  I don't mean with money and stuff, although that is true for the most part.  What I am getting at is that we are abundantly blessed with a great inheritance from a gracious and extravagantly generous God.  He not only offers us a second (and third, and fourth, etc) chance when we fall for the lure of our sinful nature, but He lavishes us with His abundant love, He showers us with one blessing after another, and He cares about all the little things that trouble my heart.  We are rich indeed.

Most of the time, however, I go through life without realizing how rich is this legacy of faith that I've come into through Christ. (Ephesians 1:18)  Instead I see only the damage done by destructive hands, the injustice caused by greed and selfishness, or the difficulties that naturally occur as I live in a fallen world.  

If I am to be able to respond to the people God has placed around me in a loving way, it is vital that I use God's eyes through which to view the world.  When I look through my own sin-clouded lenses, I am unable to see the goodness of God.  If, however, I take on His perspective by offering myself as a living sacrifice and refusing to buy into the ways of this world, I will better be able to see things as He does.  (Romans 12:1-2)  Only then will I be able to see people as God has created them to be, loving them right where they are as I pass on the wealth of blessings God has given me.

If I want to love people as God calls me to, I will need to have the eyes of God.

Led by the Spirit

Playing "Follow the Leader" with a group of elementary-aged children is interesting.  While I would never normally walk like a duck or climb over a pile of sand, I just may do so when being led by a young child.

Likewise, letting my flesh lead me through life will mean that I will engage in all kinds of activities and behaviors that do not please God.  I may find myself lured into thoughts of lust, tempted to explore sexual pleasures readily available through any electronic device, convinced I am justified in my hostility toward a co-worker, deceived into thinking I'm striving so hard to reach the top for the good of others, or tell myself I'll only indulge in one drink.  (Galatians 5:19-21)

When I let God's Spirit lead me, however, I will find a different kind of fruit being produced.  Instead of my sinful nature winning out, then, I will notice a compassion for those who are hurting well up inside of me, a sense of well-being that is not dependent upon my circumstances flood my soul, a calm tranquility that cannot be explained build up in my heart and a desire to do good guide my actions. (Galatians 5:22-23)  Only then can I have any hope of treating people in a way that would honor God.

If I want to love people as God calls me to, I will need to be led by His Spirit.

Kingdom-Minded

My mind whirls like a high-powered computer as I lay sleepless beside my slumbering husband.  If I can save about $50 on groceries, I might have enough to pay the phone bill.  Then, there will only be a couple more expenses to cover this month.  Or, I might be able to scrimp on gas by staying home all week, skipping all my ministry activities so we could cover the water bill.  That's a great idea.  Maybe there's more I haven't thought of.  Ugh, why can't I go back to sleep?

A mind focused on meeting physical needs is a mind that worries at three o'clock in the morning.  Jesus taught us that only unbelievers should think this way because they don't have a benevolent Father to take care of them.  As children of God, though, those who follow Christ do enjoy this benefit.  Since my heavenly Father knows what I need and is perfectly willing and capable of supplying those requirements, I am free to focus my mind of His kingdom instead. (Matthew 6:31-33)  

In this way I will be able to concentrate on the ways God is working all around me and join in with what He is doing.  A mind focused on worldly worries, however, will never detect these activities and will only tend to what will not last.  My focus, then, determines the nature of my actions.

If I want to love people as God calls me to, I will need to be kingdom-minded.


It is easy to only treat people the way they treat me, or to let my feelings influence my actions.  If I am to truly let the love of God flow through me, though, I will need to take on His way of seeing those around me, let His Spirit lead me, and focus my mind of kingdom pursuits.  In these ways, I will not jump to conclusions, but will stand firm on the solid rock of my faith in Christ.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can let go of all the hurts that can lead to hatred and bitterness. 

How do I focus on my needs, acting like I don't have a Father in heaven who takes care of me?

When do I follow only my flesh, letting my feelings be my guide?

No comments:

Post a Comment