The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Leave!

"The LORD had said to Abram,
'Leave your native country,
your relatives,
and your father's family,
and go to the land that I will show you.
I will make you into a great nation.
I will bless you and make you famous,
and you will be a blessing to others."
Genesis 12:1-2 NLT



"How can we move to Germany now?"  I asked my husband of three years.  During our short marriage, our family had grown by a daughter closely followed by a set of three more.  Life was pretty hectic in a home filled with four girls aged three and under, and I needed the reinforcement my parents supplied.  Why would God move us to a foreign land, so far away from my support system?

As I look back to that scary time, I can see God's hand at work.  Leaving my beloved homeland and some of my most cherished people was His way of growing my faith and building my character.  In order to receive the blessing God has for me, it is often necessary that I leave behind what is familiar and trust God for what is to come.

Country

It is said that the way to catch a monkey is to secure a hollowed-out coconut in place and fill it with peanuts, a banana or some other snack.  When a curious primate approaches the tempting treat, he slides his hand through the hole.  Once he makes a fist to grab the food, however, his hand will no longer fit through the opening and he is "trapped" by his own greed.  Simply letting go of the treasure would buy his freedom, but most monkeys are unwilling to walk away from such a find.

This reminds me of how I can be when it comes to the world.  In order for me to fully embrace God's kingdom, I must let go of my sin and worldly temptations.  If I hold on tight to the habits of my flesh, I will find myself living in a way that is contrary to God's plan for my life.  (Galatians 5:17)  But if I let go of the trappings of this world which appeal so much to my sinful nature, then I can keep in step with God's Spirit.

When I feel trapped in an area of sin, then, I can remember that I have the power to let go of that transgression, instead nailing it to the cross where it will tempt me no more. (Galatians 5:24)  Or when I am constantly drawn to the message of the world that tells me I am king of my own life, then I can remember that Jesus is the only One who is worthy to hold such a position. (Philippians 2:9-11)  Or when I struggle with a negative attitude toward my circumstances, I can remind myself that God will work everything for my good, even if it doesn't seem good at the time.  (Romans 8:28)

In order to fully grasp the kingdom of God, I must leave behind the country in which I live along with it's alluring attractions.

People

My heart swells as I hear the anthem played.  Tears form in my eyes as I think of all the men and women who have given their lives so that I might enjoy freedom.  There is no doubt that I have a pride in my country and that I am not ashamed to identify myself as an American.

As I grow closer to my Father, however, this allegiance is beginning to shift.  While I still am thankful to live in a country where I have the liberty to live as I see fit, it is to God that my highest allegiance is found.  My hope is in Him, not in the politicians who run our country, nor in the people who work so hard day in and day out to make our communities safe, nor in the members of the armed forces who sacrifice so much.

Instead of relying on these fellow humans as my source of hope for a better tomorrow, I am learning to fully trust in the Lord.  Without Him, not one of us could take a breathe let alone make a difference in the world.  Apart from the sovereignty of the Lord, no plan would ever come to fulfillment, and there is no salvation to be found under any other name than that of Jesus Christ my Lord!  (Acts 4:12)

While those running for office may have great ideas and inspire much optimism for tomorrow, it is not in mere man that I will place my confidence.  Instead, I am learning to place all my eggs in God's basket, trusting that He is where my hope is found.

In order to live in a state of blessing, it is vital that I identify myself more as God's child than as a daughter of the country in which I live.

Family

They expected Him to drop everything at the mention of their presence.  Family deserves the position of highest honor so they had every reason to believe Jesus would prefer them over the multitudes who gathered that day to see Him.  As soon as He heard of their arrival, they were sure they would be immediately ushered to the front of the line.  Boy, were they wrong!

Instead of honoring His family, Jesus chose the opportunity of His mother and brothers' visit to illustrate the hierarchy of God's kingdom. (Matthew 12:46-50)  While I have heard it said that, "blood is thicker than water," insinuating that family ties are the strongest of all bonds, Jesus turned this belief on it's ear.  While it is important to honor one's father and mother, this relationship is not the one that should drive my decisions.  

Some family members use their position as blood relatives to manipulate others into action.  If I am to live in relationship with my heavenly Father, however, guilt can no longer be a factor in decision-making.  When God calls me to go, then, I must freely obey without worry of who I will leave behind.  Trusting God in such a way means I am letting Him take care of those whom I love.

In order to follow Jesus, I must understand His definition of family and accept the hierarchy of His kingdom.


I cannot expect to receive God's blessing and continue to live my life as I see fit: I must choose one or the other.  If I decide His kingdom is more important than mine, then I will exchange the world for His ways, identify myself more with God than my country, and realize my family cannot hold more weight than the Lord.  As I leave these allegiances behind, I will be able to fully grasp the blessings the Lord has prepared for me.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember Who holds the allegiance to my life.

When do I place my hope in politics, not realizing that no blessing can come to a nation apart from the Lord?

When am I blinded to all the ways a nation has offended God because of my patriotism?   

No comments:

Post a Comment