The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

New Thing

"With the coming of dawn,
the angels urged Lot,
saying, 'Hurry!
Take your wife and your two daughters who are here,
or you will be swept away when the city is punished.'
When he hesitated,
the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife
and of his two daughters
and led them safely out of the city,
for the LORD was merciful to them.
As soon as they had brought them out,
one of them said,
'Flee for your lives!
Don't look back,
and don't stop anywhere in the plain!
Flee to the mountains
or you will be swept away!'"
Genesis 19:15-17



The tears rolled as she, her husband and girls fled the city.  Her heart was in that wretched place!  As much as there was evil found there, she also discovered much good.  There were friends she adored, memories she cherished and places she treasured.  Life was enjoyable in Sodom and she hated to leave.  What would happen to all her friends and her favorite haunts?  How could God be so cruel?  These people weren't so bad!

Suddenly there came a horrific sound, like that of a million droplets of water sizzling on a giant hot pan.  The noise grew in intensity and she imagined she could even feel the searing heat on her back.  Her beloved Sodom!  What was to become of it?  Without thinking, she looked back over her shoulder, curious to see her home one last time.  It would be her final act before her flesh turned to salt.

When God rescues me from destruction, like he did to Lot and his family, it is important that I fully receive His mercy.

Don't Hesitate

I walked out to the end of the platform as the butterflies fluttered unfettered in my stomach.  Reaching the edge, I gasped as I saw how high I stood above the surface of the water.  The longer I stood there, the more my feet seemed to be cemented to the diving board.  Would I ever be able to jump?

The best way for someone who is afraid of heights to jump off the high dive is to walk straight out and take the plunge, without hesitation.  The more time there is to think, the less likely I am to jump.  This is similar to the practice of trusting God.  If I pause, vacillating back and forth between doubt and faith, the odds that I will stay in my disbelief are high.  My best chance at walking forward in faith is to move without thinking.

When God lets me know, then, that the pastime I love so much has become an idol in my life, it's best that I immediately let it go without thought to what I will miss.  Or when it is made clear to me that I am to change jobs, walking in faith means I will take purposeful steps toward making that new career a reality without wasting time on a list of pros and cons or in gathering advice from friends.  Or when He stops a ministry dead in its tracks I can go along with His mysterious plans even though it doesn't make sense to me.

I must trust God enough to let go when He says it's time to move on.

Don't Look Back

There was a lot I was going to miss but the hardest thing about moving was in leaving behind the people I had grown to love.  Every time I thought of it the sobs would come.  Soon I would find myself dwelling on the memories of times we had spent together, lessons they had taught me, and bonds we had formed.  How could I leave?

My problem with all the times the Army moved my family from one place to another was that I focused my attention on what I was leaving behind instead of anticipating all that God had in store for us.  He reminded me of this lately through the prophet Isaiah who said, "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?" (Isaiah 43:18-19a)

Whenever God calls me on to something new, I can believe that it will be good.  God is the giver of all good things so I can trust Him in the great unknown. (James 1:17)  After all; He is already there paving the way for me.  As I place my life into His hands, recognizing that He is the sovereign Lord over all creation and bowing to His plan, He will make plain the path He has for me to walk.  (Proverbs 3:5-6)

I must trust God enough to look forward with anticipation to all that He has prepared for me.

Don't Tarry

She did as her mother bid, but it was obvious her heart was not in it.  The pre-teen's shoulders slumped, her head drooped and her feet dragged as she walked toward the garbage can.  The bag of trash she held in her hand scraped across the driveway, threatening to break open.  While the girl obeyed in action, her spirit was far from compliant.

I can hold this same kind of attitude when it comes to God.  He calls me to something I either don't want to accomplish or I feel completely incapable of handling.  I step out in faith, but my heart doubts the outcome.  I go through the motions, thinking I'm answering God's call, but my attitude is poor to say the least.

Instead of dragging my spiritual feet in this way, I can focus on the faithfulness of God to create a plan of prosperity and hope for my life and in His willingness to equip the called, giving Him a chance to work through me as I rest in His arms.  When I pay more attention to my own plan and my subsequent disappointment in it's demise, however, the worse my frame of mind becomes. In addition,  the more I focus on my own inabilities, the greater my insecurity grows.

I must trust God enough to not tarry in my obedience to Him, either in attitude or action.


God loves me and often rescues me from destruction by moving me forward.  When He does so, it is important that I not hesitate in carrying out His instructions, avoid looking back toward what I am leaving behind, and not drag my feet in obeying Him.  In these ways I'll be able to embrace the new thing He is doing in my life!

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to let go of that which He is taking from my life.

When do I hold on to that which is no longer good for me?

How am I dragging my spiritual feet? 

No comments:

Post a Comment