The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, July 22, 2013

Overpowering Plan

"The sixth angel sounded his trumpet,
and I heard a voice coming from the four
horns of the golden altar that is before God.
It said to the sixth angel who had the trumpet,
'Release the four angels 
who are bound at the great river Euphrates.'
And the four angels who had been kept ready 
for this very hour and day and month and year
were released to kill a third of mankind.
The number of the mounted troops was twice
 ten thousand times ten thousand.
I heard their number."
Revelation 9:13-16



The date was established: July 24th, 2013.  From the beginning of time, this day has been set aside by God as the appointed time for my neighbor to receive a new kidney.  After suffering for a few years with poor health, he was finally diagnosed with kidney failure and began dialysis.  While this three-times-a-week routine cleaned his blood, it also brought much pain.  It seemed he would never again experience a healthy body that performed as it was designed to function.  He began to lose hope.

Then the news came: someone who had volunteered to donate a kidney passed all the tests with flying colors but also was found to be a perfect match.  The transplant team scheduled the surgery and God's plan was set into motion.

No one can stand against the mighty hand of God.  He has a plan for each of our lives so that I will seek Him out wholeheartedly.  (Jeremiah 29:11-13)  Not only does He have a personal plan for me, but His plan for all of mankind cannot be stopped.  This plan includes punishment for the sin that has tarnished His perfect creation.  If I find myself on the wrong side of His wrath at the end of time, I will not have a leg on which to stand.

Instead of waiting, therefore, I would be wise to heed the warning of the woes planned for those whose minds are set on destruction.

Now

"There is no time like the present," my grandmother used to be fond of saying.  She came from the generation who weathered the Great Depression in the 1930's and knew a little something about getting through hard times.  I was often amazed at her thrifty nature, common sense approach, and sense of contentment.  It was obvious my grandmother understood the importance of living in the here and now since tomorrow might never come.

While I tend to assume I'll have more time to finish what I've been sent to accomplish, the truth is that my next minute on this earth is never promised.  Even though I'd love to stick around with my family and friends for many more years, I don't know God's timetable.  For this reason it is important that I take advantage of opportunities when they are presented before me.

It's easy to wait, thinking I'm not ready to tackle a particular challenge.  If I put things off, however, I may end up missing my one chance to impact the world for Christ.  Later may just be too late.

So when God moves my heart to share the gospel with an acquaintance who asks me how I can carry on in the face of such an evil world, it is time for me to strike while the iron is hot, taking advantage of the opening God has provided.  Or when I'm checking out at the grocery store and the cashier mentions how hard her day has been, it is time for me to take the chance God has given to share the hope she has in Christ. (1 Peter 3:15)  Or when I'm the target of an attack by someone who doesn't like me, I can use the occasion to show the love of God that is patient and kind, keeping no record of wrongs but letting go of hurts. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

Since God's overpowering plan is to punish sin, now is the time to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ because tomorrow may be too late.

Death

It is said that the only two things I can count on in life is death and taxes.  While neither seem very pleasant, they are indeed inevitable.  Every living thing ever created, with the possible exceptions of Elijah (2 Kings 2:1) and Enoch (Genesis 5:24), has died or will face death.  The only question that remains is, "Where will I spend eternity?"

While it is common to believe that those who live a decent, respectful life will gain an eternal reward, God says that my ever-present sin earns me eternal punishment. (Romans 3:23, 6:23)  Even more disturbing is the understanding that the end times will bring great suffering for those who are not protected by the seal of God upon their forehead.  (Revelation 9:4)  So not only do I have an eternity of separation from God and with Him all that is good in my future, but if I'm caught alive during the tribulation I will directly suffer His wrath.  How can I avoid such torment?

Jesus is the only way to gain eternal life by accepting the gift of salvation He offers as a result of His death on the cross (John 14:6), and faith in Christ is also the only way God's stamp of ownership will be marked upon my forehead.

While the first death everyone experiences here on earth is inevitable, the second death that leads to eternal suffering is not.  The only way to escape the wrath of God my sins deserve and suffer eternally in the lake of fire is to become reconciled with a holy God through the covering of the blood of Jesus. (Revelation 20:14-15, Revelation 13:8Romans 10:13)

Since God's overpowering plan is to punish sin, I would be wise to accept the salvation that comes through Jesus Christ so I won't find myself on the wrong side of eternity.

Irresistible Power

The men were bent on speaking.  No matter what the leaders did to dissuade them, despite all the threats of arrest and beatings that were given, these followers of Jesus would not be quiet.  You see, they understood how important it was to be found on the side of God when a line was drawn in the sand.  They said, "We must obey God rather than human beings!" (Acts 5:29)

Despite the determination of Peter and the other apostles to stay strong in the Lord, many opposed their efforts.  Surprisingly, support came from a most unlikely place; a member of the party of the Pharisees who constantly opposed the apostles stood up and said, "Leave these men alone!  Let them go!  For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail.  But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God." (Acts 5:38-39)

These men were on to something!  While I may not be standing before a crowd including the Sanhedrin spreading the Gospel to many influential people, I do have a platform from which to speak.  Maybe it's my neighbors, coworkers, colleagues or fellow students.  Perhaps those seated next to me in the waiting room, or the server at my favorite restaurant, or the clerks in the store I frequent need to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ.  Whoever my audience is, if I choose to follow God's lead and speak the words He supplies, no one will be able to stand against me.

In the same way, knowing that God's plan will go forth regardless of my efforts or lack thereof, on whose side do I want to find myself on when time has run out?  There are only two possibilities: for God or against Him.

Since God's overwhelming plan is to punish sin, I would be wise to place myself on His side so I won't find myself fighting against God.


Going through the process of kidney donation has taught me that God's plan cannot be stopped.  Seeing how He has prepared me for this experience from the beginning confirms the fact that God's plan is inevitable.  The only question left to answer is this:  On which side of His plan will I find myself?


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will be sensitive to God's leading so I can join in with what He is already doing.

When do I resist God's plan out of fear, insecurity or feelings of low self-worth?

How am I placing myself in opposition to God without realizing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment