The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Worthy Lamb

"And they sang a new song with these words:
'You are worthy to take the scroll
and break its seals and open it.
For you were slaughtered,
and your blood has ransomed people for God
from every tribe and language and people and nation.
And you have caused them to become
a Kingdom of priests for our God.
and they will reign on the earth.'"
Revelation 5:9-10 NLT



Savior?  Teacher? Friend?  Who is Jesus to me?

The disciples each had their own idea of who Jesus was.  They spent time with Him and saw His goodness, wisdom and loving kindness, but they didn't always understand His true nature.

While walking to another location one day, Jesus asked His followers what others say about Him.  Then He asked, "'But who do you say I am?' Peter replied, 'You are the Messiah.'" (Mark 8:29)  So Peter understood He was the One prophesied about in Scripture, but there was so much more that the man didn't get.

Challenging those around Him, Jesus explained that soon He would give His life and if they really wanted to be His disciples, they must do the same.  (Mark 8:31-38)  Peter freaked out, telling Jesus that He shouldn't talk that way.  Dying a sacrificial death, however, was the purpose for which Jesus entered into the realm of man.

In order to put Jesus in His proper place as Lord, Redeemer and High Priest, I must realize He is more than just a Savior.  He is the only One who is worthy to open the seals that unleash God's righteous judgment on the world.  (Revelation 5:5)  Why is that and what does it mean to me?

Slain

When I think of someone who will save the world, I picture a superhero of sorts who will overpower the enemies of mankind with sheer power.  Swooping in to save the day at just the right time, he will vanquish the foe with one swing of his mighty sword.

Instead of living up to my fantasies, however, Jesus saved the world in quiet submission as a lamb led to the slaughter.  His perfect sacrifice on the cross did more to free the world from the oppressiveness of sin and death than any other act ever committed in all of history.  He set me free from the burden of my own transgressions, removing not only the stain of sin but my rightful punishment for it as well.

While Jesus put Himself into the hands of the unrighteous, innocent as a dove, He returns as a Lion, glorious in His victory. (1 Corinthians 15:55-57)  As a sinner who He has reconciled with a holy God, I now walk as a conqueror and overcomer.  (Romans 8:37)

Therefore, I have the power to walk free from the power of my sinful nature.  While I used to respond to ill-treatment with more of the same, I now experience a surge of compassion toward those who live a bitter life.  It used to be so common to want nothing more than what was good for me, but now I sense a desire to seek what is best for others.  If you could examine my heart in the past you would find a list of all the ways that I've been wronged, but now all you will discover is the love of God.

When I realize Jesus is the lamb that was slain, I can likewise give my life in submission to my heavenly Father's transforming work.


Blood Purchase

We have some friends who had to raise thousands of dollars in order to adopt some children from China.  Just last week, they finally brought the little girl and boy home to join their new big brother who showed them the ropes of living in America.  While adopting orphans is quite costly, it pales in comparison to the price that was paid for my life.

When Jesus gave His life on a Roman cross, He paid the price that purchased His own for God's own.  (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)  Now I do not belong to myself to do with as I please, but I am God's precious possession created to do the things He prepared in advance for me to do.  (Ephesians 2:10)

God secured my salvation with the blood of His only Son so that I can live for Him.  Instead, I often live for my own selfish desires, stubbornly insisting on seeing things from my point of view and taking more than I give.  In short, I live as if God were not my adoptive Father.  (1 John 3:1-10)

When I realize Jesus secured my purchase for His Father with His blood, then I can start to live the life He has prepared for me to live.

Kingdom of Priests

There was a dark period in the history of the western world when Catholic priests gained political power.  As a result, their judgment was corrupted as they sought more and more control from the rightful king.  The usual role of a priest to serve and love was corrupted, transforming these leaders into evil tyrants bent on lording their illicit authority over all.

While I may not face an overbearing Pope who wants nothing more than to take power that does not belong to him, I do have a High Priest in Jesus Christ who not only serves as the final, perfect sacrifice that bought me passage into the holy presence of God, but also reigns as the King of all kings.  (Hebrews 4:14-16, Revelation 19:16)

Jesus is both Priest and King who serves and reigns.  Therefore, I can trust Him with my deepest fears, my greatest struggles and my most impossible obstacles.  He has both the compassion and the power to fill all my needs.  Jesus is my one-stop shopping destination for grace and might.

When I realize Jesus serves as both Priest and King, then I can live as His beloved, trusting Him to present me before God as holy and pure while allowing Him to fight my battles for me.


Jesus is more than just a wise Teacher, courageous Savior and loyal Friend.  Instead, I know Him as my Lord, Redeemer and both High Priest and King.  In my heart, He is therefore a worthy Lamb and I live to bring Him honor and glory!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember Jesus' real identity.

How am I living as a free agent instead of a member of God's team?

When do I approach God warily, as if I don't belong?

No comments:

Post a Comment