The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Unsoiled

"Yet you have still a few names in Sardis,
people who have not soiled their garments,
and they will walk with me in white,
for they are worthy.
The one who conquers will be clothed
 thus in white garments,
and I will never blot his name out of the book of life.
I will confess his name before my Father
and before his angels.
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says
to the churches."
Revelation 3:4-6 ESV



The late frost had the potential to damage the delicate peach blossoms.  If they froze, there would be no peaches to enjoy come summer.  In order to protect the potential fruit from this destructive freeze, my daughter and I had to cover the tree with plastic, making sure each blossom was sheltered from the impending doom.  Then each morning, we removed the sheet to give the tree a chance to breathe.  In this way we kept the harmful frost from spoiling the fruit.

In the same way that peach blossoms are at risk of destruction, so is my new creation in Christ in danger of being corrupted by the world and my own flesh.  It is easy to start following my own common sense or to think as the unbelievers around me do.  Like Oswald Chambers wrote, "If I am devoted to the cause of humanity only, I will soon be exhausted and come to the place where my love will falter; but if I love Jesus Christ personally and passionately, I can serve humanity though men treat me as a doormat."  My allegiance to Jesus is what keeps me purely devoted to Him.

Therefore, it is possible to keep from being tarnished by evil, and what awaits those who grasp the victory that is ours in Christ Jesus, not compromising our relationship with Him, can expect great things!

Walk with Jesus

The heroes sat in the back of a convertible as onlookers cheered.  The two were humbled by the attention and a bit surprised by all the accolades: After all, they were only doing their duty.  As they thought of the lives that had been saved, the two firefighters knew they had made the right decision in going into the burning building.  This honor, however, was not why they had risked their lives.  Instead, they had stayed true to their calling and fulfilled their mission.

In the same way, my commitment to my calling as a daughter of the One True God by faith in Jesus Christ is to live in relationship with Him.  When I take His teachings to heart, desiring to please Him, I'll enjoy a parade of kinds where Jesus is the guest of honor.  Incredibly, I will be invited to join Him if I stay true to Him in this life.

So, when ridicule comes my way because of the Christ-honoring choices I make, I'll one day be glad I didn't cave into the pressure.  Or, when I feel all alone as people abandon me in exchange for worldly success, on that precious day I'll rejoice that I stayed true.  Even when rumors swirl as the Enemy tries to dishonor the name of my Lord, the incredible privilege of walking beside the One to whom I stayed true will make it all worth it.

When I keep my allegiance to Jesus while in this dark world, I can expect to walk with Him as a friend.

Dressed in White

I could hear the gasp as she made her appearance.  Creamy white gave her the appearance of an angel.  Tears rolled freely as the bride made her way down the aisle.  Her friends and family knew the sacrifices she had made so that she could give herself to her groom as pure, and the white gown was a symbol of that decision.

White has always been the image of purity.  While most brides in this day and age do not take the call to sexual abstinence seriously, it does not diminish the meaning of the symbol.  In fact, the prophet Isaiah used this imagery to describe the righteousness that would come with the sacrifice of Christ.  "Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them as white as snow.  Though they are red like crimson, I will make them as white as wool."  (Isaiah 1:18 NLT)

This use of white will continue through eternity as I can expect to be dressed in the symbol of righteousness if I stay true to Christ in this corrupted world.  In the same way that a bride can wait for her husband until her wedding day, so I can keep faithful to my Lord while here on earth, anticipating the great day when I will don the garment of virtue.

When I keep my allegiance to Jesus while in my sinful flesh in this world polluted by evil, I can expect to be dressed in white as one who stood firm.  

Name Acknowledged

The reading of the names went on for hours.  This solemn ceremony illustrated the impact of the  magnitude of loss experienced on 9/11.  As each victim's name was called, loved ones grieved: To hear their beloved's name triggered a visceral reaction of sorrow and remembrance.  The word was but a symbol of a life left unlived, dreams not yet realized, and families left to mourn.

In the same way that acknowledging names of victim's during times of public tragedy honors those who lost their lives, so God will use this same practice as a way to give tribute to those who stood firm in the face of great temptation.  

While Jesus walked the earth as a mere human, he warned us that we would receive similar treatment as did He.  We know the world is not friendly to His message, and those who walk with Him will be threatened in one way or another. Not to worry, though!  This persecution is not in vain, for those who take a stand for Christ while here on earth will also be acknowledged in heaven before the Father. (Matthew 10:32)  There is nothing I long to hear more when I reach the throne of God than, "Well done, my good and faithful servant!" (Matthew 25:23)

When I keep my allegiance to Jesus in a place so set against His ways, I can expect for my name to be acknowledged before God and angels. (Luke 12:8)


It is not easy to live clothed in sinful garb in such a world corrupted by evil where I am mistreated in many ways.  Just as the precious peach blossoms can be protected from damaging frost, however, I can stand firm in the face of such opposition.  When I do, I can expect to walk with Jesus as His friend, to be dressed in a garment of white, and for my name to be acknowledged before my Father.  The key to remaining unsoiled in such as way is to love Jesus more than anything else.  In this way I can stand firm 'til the end!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stand firm for Christ.

How do I compromise the teachings of Jesus because the temptations to conform are so great?

When do I give in because standing up seems too costly?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that. It is really hard to stand firm in such a world surrounded by sin.

    ReplyDelete