The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, October 14, 2013

What's in a Name?

"You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God,
for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless
who misuses his name."
Exodus 20:7



The mother wanted nothing more than to protect the memory of her precious daughter.  Kidnapped and brutally murdered by a trusted friend, the girl who stole her mother's heart no longer graced us with her presence. This grief-stricken woman clung to what was left; some mementos, childhood toys, photographs and clothing, but it was her child's name that brought a smile to this mama's face.

While she couldn't yet bear the idea of conducting an Internet search using her daughter's name, friends had told her some of the misuses.  She couldn't fathom the idea that anyone would try to profit from her heartbreaking situation, but there were those who did just that.  Out of a desire to protect what little she had left of her daughter, this grieving mother decide to take legal steps to guard the name of her only child.

A name is more than just something you call a person, place or thing.  It is a representation of that entity and can be legally protected against misuse so as to protect the goodwill of a person, company or it's trademark.  The right to use a name can even be bought and sold, signifying the importance of that designation.  It also can evoke a certain response as one recalls the reputation behind the name.  Most people care about protecting their good name by conducting themselves in a trustworthy manner.  And those of us who have taken on the name of Christ, know that being a Christian is more than just an identity; we are His ambassadors in a world that desperately needs Him.

What I call myself, then, is pretty important.  In the same way that I don't like to hear my name associated with gossip, slander or misdeeds, the name of the Lord is to be revered at even a higher level.  Since His name is holy, sacred and hallowed, I reveal my respect or lack thereof, in the way I use His name.

Thoughtless

I plowed through my daily reading, eager to get on with my day but determined to continue with this regular ritual.  While I sometimes benefited, mostly I did it out of a sense of obligation.  As one who is pretty self-disciplined, I viewed Bible reading in the same light as taking medicine or eating vegetables; it wasn't that enjoyable and it didn't taste all that good, but I knew it was for my benefit.

For years I lived this way; never deeply knowing God, experiencing His transforming work on my heart or enjoying His presence.  Instead, I treated Him as an acquaintance.  As a result, His Word was not precious to me and contributed little meaning to my life.  I would sometimes quote passages I knew by rote, feebly trying to sound "Christian."  Unfortunately, I only repeated what I knew, never letting those precious words change the way I thought, or acted, or spoke. (Hebrews 4:12) I didn't treat His Word as the extension of God that it is, instead using it for my own benefit.  

Furthermore, besides missing the meaning found in scripture, I also thoughtlessly used God's name in my effort to try to fit in.  "Trust God!"  I would advise, while I failed to do so myself, not even knowing what it really meant to believe God could help me.  Other times I would mindlessly repeat unbiblical phrases I heard others say without even bothering to find it's origin or examine it's meaning: "God helps those who help themselves," or "God never gives us more than we can handle."

This kind of thoughtless use of God's Word and His name reveals my lack of respect for the Lord Himself.  Instead of simply repeating what I think is the truth, then, I would better show a respect for the holiness of God if I used my mind to examine His Word with a desire to both know Him and His ways more fully.

Using the Lord's name or His Word without engaging my mind shows a lack of respect for the Lord Himself.

Heartless

The music sounded good and I enthusiastically sang along.  "I could sing of your love forever. . ." The drums, guitars, violin and keyboard combined with the voices created a symphonic melody that resonated with my soul.  I began moving my feet and clapping my hands, enjoying the way the praise songs made me feel.  I sang the words out, glad to be a part of this corporate worship.  Well before I was ready to stop, it was all over.

Unfortunately, even though I enjoyed the way my voice blended with all the others, my heart was not in it.  Instead of praising the name of the Lord, I was focused more on the music and the feeling generated by it. 

God used Isaiah to give His people a message that resonates with us today.  He said, "When you come to appear before me, who has asked this of you, this trampling of my courts? Stop bringing me meaningless offerings. . . when you spread out your hands in prayer, I hide my eyes from you; even when you offer many prayers, I am not listening." (Isaiah 1:12, 13a, 15)

Why was God so upset with His people?  Their hearts were not in their acts of worship.  Instead, they performed the required rituals without examining their motives.  On the one hand, they did things to make themselves look good but on the other hand they continued in their wicked ways.  

I am guilty of the same kind of heartless worship.  I spend all week lashing out at others who bear the image of God as I drive to work, having little patience for the lost around me and turning a blind eye to those who need my help, than enter into His sanctuary with the motivation to fulfill my weekly obligation.  I try to serve myself all week then put on a godly front as I walk into church on Sunday.

I have it backwards.  The real worship takes place during the week when I open my heart to the One who loves me dearly.  As He transforms my heart, I'll be more sensitive to what is right, bending to His will and seeking out His ways.  Then, I'll please God in the way I live my life, worshiping Him wholeheartedly. (Romans 12:1)

Attempting to worship God when my heart is not in it does not bring praise to His name, no matter what my lips may say.

Disregard

"Jesus Christ!"
"God dammit"
"I swear to God!"

These are all examples of phrases that are used quite often in movies, television and in the world around me.  As a result, it is easy for me to become desensitized to the utter lack of respect shown to a holy God in the way His name is often misused.  I betray my own lack of respect for the Lord when I tolerate the abuse of His precious name.

Instead of walking out of the theater when I hear my precious Lord and Savior's name used as a swear word, I stay in place, unwilling to give up the money I invested in the movie.  When a friend uses God's name to add clout to her vow, I brush it off as merely a figure of speech.  Or, I might look the other way when I hear a frustrated coworker pepper her speech with His name.

The name of God is worthy to be praised.  Instead, of using His name in a way that is appropriate for His position as Holy God, it is often used in a highly disrespectful way.  Even though I may not engage in this activity, my lack of regard for His precious name is betrayed by what I tolerate in my life.

Enduring the misuse of the Lord's name around me shows my own lack of respect and reverence for His holy name.


God's name is more than just a title or a word.  Instead, it reveals His character and is holy unto itself.  As a result, the way I use it reveals much about my relationship with Him.  When I use His name or recite His Word thoughtlessly, worship Him heartlessly, or disregard the way others use it, I am revealing a lack of respect for the Lord.   So, when Shakespeare's Juliet asks, "What's in a name?"   I would answer, "Everything!"


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can hold God's name with great reverence.

When do I flippantly use your Word without thought of the meaning behind it?

How is my worship heartless?

1 comment:

  1. That is powerful! It makes me think about God's name and how serious we should be towards it.

    ReplyDelete