The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Lasting Memorial

"Once a year,
Aaron shall make atonement on its horns.
This annual atonement must be made
with the blood of the atoning sin offering
for generations to come.
It is most holy to the LORD."
Exodus 30:10

". . .we have an advocate with the Father-
Jesus Christ,the Righteous One.
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins,
and not only for ours
but also for the sins of the whole world."
1 John 2:1b-2



The lamb was led to the Tabernacle by the sinner.  The man then laid his hands upon the head of the animal, transferring his sin to the little creature.  After the lamb was sacrificed, the blood was drained and the priest dipped his finger in the warm liquid, transferring it to the horns of the altar of burnt offering.  The remaining blood was then poured at the base of the altar.  Finally, the fat was removed from the carcass and burned on top of the food offerings.  Atonement was then complete, his sin forgiven. (Leviticus 4:32-35)

Thankfully, we are no longer required to make such a sacrifice for our sins.  Jesus Christ became the perfect and final sacrifice for our sins, pouring His own blood out at the foot of cross in atonement for the transgressions of all mankind.  Consequently, God is faithful and just, able to forgive us our sins through the atoning sin offering made by Christ. (1 John 1:9)

Even though the detailed instructions God passed on to His people through Moses don't apply to me anymore, there is a truth about my identity in Christ hidden within.

Ransom

The census began for the nation of Israel.  As each adult 20-years-of-age and older was counted, whether rich or poor, he was required to give one-half of a shekel as a ransom paid for his own life.  Every time a census was taken, then, the people who belonged to the Lord remembered that there was a required price to be paid for their own lives. (Exodus 30:11-16)

In the same way, there was a dear price paid for my life.  As a sinner without hope of living in relationship with the One who made me and loves me dearly, there was no price I could pay to make up for my own sin. (Romans 3:23Romans 8:3) When God, out of His great love for me, sent His only Son as a sacrifice for my sins, His life became the ransom paid in return for my life.  (Hebrews 9:15)

In order to remind myself of the steep price Jesus paid for my life, it is important that I keep my identity as a ransomed sinner in mind.  My life no longer belongs to me to do with as I wish.  Instead, Jesus paid the ultimate price in giving His life in return for mine.  Therefore, willingly placing my life into His hands, letting Him use me as He sees fit is the ultimate memorial of His atoning sacrifice.  (1 Corinthians 6:20, Romans 12:1)

In the same way that the Israelites were required to purchase their own life with a ransom, mine has already been bought and paid for by Jesus.  

Cleansing

The priests were required to wash their hands and feet in the bronze basin before entering the Tent of Meeting.  When they were about to present a food offering, they also were commanded to cleanse themselves in preparation for this important ministry.  Failing to follow this purification ritual would result in death.  (Exodus 30:17-21)

Holiness is important to the Lord.  He is perfect, righteous and just and cannot abide with sin of any kind.  As a symbol of this need for purity, priests who ministered directly before the Lord and acted as a go-between for the people were required to go through a ritual of cleansing. 

In the same way that those who were called into service before the Lord needed cleansing, Jesus has performed that ritual for me in the shedding of His blood on the cross.  He effectively cleansed me from all unrighteousness for all time, making me ready for His use.  (1 John 1:7)  He has taken my guilt and removed it, freeing me up to serve Him as one who is fit for service.  (Isaiah 1:18)  There is nothing I can do to make myself fit, rather, it is what Jesus has already done on the cross that I must accept by faith that does the job.  Once I place my trust in Him to cleanse me, I will be fitted for the purpose for which He created me.  (Ephesians 2:10)

In the same way the priests were required to cleanse before service, I have been prepared in Christ Jesus to do good works.

Anointing

It was a special recipe set aside exclusively for one purpose and one purpose only: to consecrate as holy the items used for sacrifice and temple service as well as the priests who performed the sacred rituals.  This was no ordinary perfume and no matter how much one enjoyed it's scent, this oil was to be set aside as special.  An anointing with this oil transformed an ordinary object into a holy one.  Anything that then touched the sacred would become consecrated.  (Exodus 30:22-33)

Even though I am no longer required to whip up this special recipe of oil, the blood of Jesus has served the same purpose, anointing me for His holy purposes.  (Hebrews 10:10, Colossians 1:22)  There is nothing left for me to do, no effort I can put forth or no further sacrifice needing to be made that will add to what Jesus has already done.  Through faith in Jesus Christ and His sacrifice, I am made right with God and deemed as holy in His eyes. 

Therefore, there is no need for shame over past or present sins, guilt in the face of my own inability to perform, or disappointment that I can't live up to God's perfect standard.  Instead, I have been anointed with the holy oil of Jesus' blood, making me in right standing with Him.  Now I can go forward in confidence, boldly entering into His presence as one who belongs and is dearly loved as His child.  (Hebrews 4:16,1 John 3:1)

In the same way that a special oil made the priests and tools of ministry holy, the blood of Jesus has anointed me with righteousness.  (1 Corinthians 1:30, 2 Corinthians 5:21)

Incense

All the fragrant spices; gum resin, onycha, galbanum and frankincense, were to be taken in equal amounts in order to create a special incense.  Once it was ground into powder, it was to be placed before the Testimony in the Tent of Meeting, the place where the Lord met with Moses.  It's scent was to be only for the enjoyment of the Lord. (Exodus 30:34-38)

This special incense was never to be used only for human pleasure but was set aside for the Lord.  Even though I've never used incense to bring delight to the Lord, the sacrifice Jesus made is like a sweet-smelling aroma to our Father.  (Ephesians 5:1-2)  As I follow in His footsteps, allowing His love to flow out to others, His aroma becomes mine, drawing those around me to Christ.  (2 Corinthians 2:15)

In the same way Moses was required to make a special incense to burn before the Lord, I emit the aroma of Christ to a world that desperately needs His sweet salvation.


Before Christ, there were many rituals required by God to bring His people into right standing with Him.  As one who benefits from the sacrifice Christ made, I find that He paid a ransom for my life, cleanses me with His blood, anoints me for His purposes and gives off an aroma pleasing to the Lord that draws others to Him.  In these ways, the Old Testament rituals are transformed into meaningful memorials of the sanctifying work of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can always remember the way Jesus made it possible for me to live in a right relationship with a holy God.

How do I forget how precious is this sacrifice that Jesus has made?

When do I take for granted the salvation that comes through Christ?  

No comments:

Post a Comment